Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
paul incaundo

Default Noobie.. How can I tell if my humidifer works?

I bought my first humidor, which is a 10 cigar travel humidor. It doesn't have a hygrometer, and I have a tiny humidifier. My cigars have only been in there for about 3 days, and they still smell fresh, but I don't really know how to tell if they're fresh or if the humidifer is working.

Is there any sort of a test or any way i can tell if it's working? I just feel uneasy without being able to visually see that its doing its job. I soaked it in a bag of distilled water for 3 minutes, and then put it in the humidor for an hour, then put all my cigars in the humidor.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
LigaPrivadaT84

Default Re: Noobie.. How can I tell if my humidifer works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul incaundo View Post
I bought my first humidor, which is a 10 cigar travel humidor. It doesn't have a hygrometer, and I have a tiny humidifier. My cigars have only been in there for about 3 days, and they still smell fresh, but I don't really know how to tell if they're fresh or if the humidifer is working.

Is there any sort of a test or any way i can tell if it's working? I just feel uneasy without being able to visually see that its doing its job. I soaked it in a bag of distilled water for 3 minutes, and then put it in the humidor for an hour, then put all my cigars in the humidor.
That is what the hygro is for; Little Havana makes one about the size of a petite corona.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

You can pick up a hygrometer pretty cheaply. You can take out the cigars and throw in the hygrometer if its too small to just leave one in there. Check the humidity that way. Other than that you'd have to leave some cigars in there for a while and see if they get too dry or too wet or if mold starts to grow. I wouldn't recommend that way though.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Did you season the travel humidor before hand? (unless it doesn't need to be seasoned)

If you slightly pinch the cigar is should be slightly springy, but nor mushy. Another way to tell is to smoke one. It they smoke fast and hot, they are too dry. If they go out constantly, there is too much humidity.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
paul incaundo

I guess I'll go try and pick up a cheap hygrometer. My humidor was 40, and all the hygrometers i've seen are 20. I shouldve just gotten a 60 dollar desktop humidor with a built in hygrometer.
It hasnt been seasoned. The inside is lined with foam and leather, so I'm not sure about if it needs to be. I'm thinking of just selling this one and buying a desktop humidor. Kind of a mistake buying this instead of a real cedar one.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Noobie.. How can I tell if my humidifier works?

I would.....sell that 10'er buy something bigger to your budget (buy as large as possible)(sell a body organ if necessary).

Get a digital and adjustable hygrometer. you should be able to get one for the cost of one good cigar. thats reason enough to protect them IMO.

Get RH beads from cigarnut.

Start buying and smoking like mad with out ever worrying about hydration again.

Last edited by jluck; 02-10-2012 at 02:48 PM.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

If the cigars are smoking OK then the humidity is OK. If they seem dry and burn too quickly then you need more humidity. If they seem wet then you need less humidity.

Hygrometers and beads and all that stuff are great, but in a small humidor you don't really have the room and probably don't need anything.

BTW, it can take weeks for cigars to react to changes in humidity in your humidor. Cigars are much more resiliant than most people give them credit for.

Don't over think it, just enjoy your cigars.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul incaundo View Post
I guess I'll go try and pick up a cheap hygrometer. My humidor was 40, and all the hygrometers i've seen are 20. I shouldve just gotten a 60 dollar desktop humidor with a built in hygrometer.
It hasnt been seasoned. The inside is lined with foam and leather, so I'm not sure about if it needs to be. I'm thinking of just selling this one and buying a desktop humidor. Kind of a mistake buying this instead of a real cedar one.
You will probably find that you'll use the 10 count travel humidor in the future, so no money wasted there. And if you went with a $60 humidor with a hygrometer, you'd find that the hygrometer is probably worthless and have to buy a digital one anyways.

Welcome to the slippery slope.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Are you planning on buying more cigars? How many cigars do you have right now? If it's less than 25... DO THIS!

From what you said, it has seem you bought a POS humidor, correct?

Instead of buying a new humidor. Why not start out simple and use a tupperware with a good seal (assuming you are new into cigars and don't have very many sticks), use that and throw in a couple Boveda Humidity packs (72*).

Stick around the forums and read some more about humidors and hygrometers. Stick to this for now, it's hands down the easiest and will cost you little money.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
DennisP
Come Get It

Trading: (17)
HUpmann
DennisP will become famous soon enoughDennisP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
Instead of buying a new humidor. Why not start out simple and use a tupperware with a good seal (assuming you are new into cigars and don't have very many sticks), use that and throw in a couple Boveda Humidity packs (72*).
Huy's not right about much, but he's right about this. When I used to overflow my desktops I'd use tupperware until a new humi arrived. Although I'd go with a lower Boveda pack if avail (think they have one below 70).
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisP View Post
Huy's not right about much, but he's right about this. When I used to overflow my desktops I'd use tupperware until a new humi arrived. Although I'd go with a lower Boveda pack if avail (think they have one below 70).
Actually, Huy is very knowledgeable and many here respect his opinion.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Suck on that Dennis! Hahaha
Old 02-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Huy who?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #14
DennisP
Come Get It

Trading: (17)
HUpmann
DennisP will become famous soon enoughDennisP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
Suck on that Dennis! Hahaha
I guess my sarcasm wasn't as obvious as I thought.
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
numismaniac
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Mark
Trading: (0)
numismaniac is on a distinguished road

Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules, but here is a cheap hygrometer combined in with a weather station. Got this tip from a member on another forum. I believe in helping everyone get smarter. I plan on ordering one, he says salt tested good at 75%, maybe he got lucky, don't know if you can calibrate, just account for the difference once properly salt tested, if not. He said his has been working well for a few months with original batteries. Makes you wonder how they can sell them that low.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380383641079...84.m1423.l2649
$5 free shipping

numismaniac is offline   Reply With Quote