Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 04-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #201
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Ain't nothing wrong with Red Label. I actually prefer the red over the black

I would skip the black and go with green. I haven't had gold, swing or blue yet though. Too pricey IMO.
The bottle of Blue was over $200 at my store. I'm never gonna try that one.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #202
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
The bottle of Blue was over $200 at my store. I'm never gonna try that one.
Yeah it's $220-$230 here. No thanks

Green cost me like $55 wasn't too bad.

Gold's nearly or right at $100

Red, Black, Green was as far as I went. I've only seen Swing a few times and it's $60-$70
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #203
w squared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I bought my first bottle of scotch last night. Johnnie Walker Red Label. Before you get all "that stuff sucks" on me, I thought it was a good introduction to scotch blends. Pretty sweet and not much burn. Now I'm ready to move on to JW Black label and others. I thought it was a good intro to scotch. Drank it neat, and once again with a 1/4 tsp. of water. Better with the water.
I'm not a blend kinda guy...but if you enjoyed it, and enjoyed it more with a wee bit of water, then you're on the right road. Try different bottles, share them with friends...because they always taste better when you share them.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #204
smokepuff

I thought I would my palette on this Scotch slope.
I purchased a bottle of Ballantine's Blended Scotch Whiskey, thought I tried blended before buying a single malt.
Does scotch need to allow to breathe before drinking, if so what are the benefits?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #205
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Anyone try the Double Black label? If so how do you think it compares to the regular Black label? I picked up a bottle of the Double Black at duty free and am looking forward to trying it.

As far as the JW Blue, if you have the opportunity to try it, do so. However I found that the Gold is much better
Old 05-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #206
jayro75
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
jayro75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Anyone try the Double Black label? If so how do you think it compares to the regular Black label? I picked up a bottle of the Double Black at duty free and am looking forward to trying it.

As far as the JW Blue, if you have the opportunity to try it, do so. However I found that the Gold is much better
Haven't tried the Double Black although I keep meaning to pick it up in my travels. According to a press release I read awhile ago it's supposed to be a smokier, peatier version of Black label. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts once you try it.
jayro75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #207
Stick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (14)
SP
Stick has disabled reputation

New beer store/ whiskey bar opened near me. Had some Aberlour A'bunadh which was damn tasty.

Here's their whiskey menu:
http://www.lizardville.net/?q=whiskey
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #208
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Seconded - gold is the best out of the JW line imo
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #209
simplechords

I've never tried scotch. When it come to liqour I current really only drink Gin and vodka. The only whiskey that I've ever had is Makers Mark. What would you recommend to me to start with? I'd probably want to stay in the cheaper end of things. And then what would be the best way to drink what you recommend.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #210
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechords View Post
I've never tried scotch. When it come to liqour I current really only drink Gin and vodka. The only whiskey that I've ever had is Makers Mark. What would you recommend to me to start with? I'd probably want to stay in the cheaper end of things. And then what would be the best way to drink what you recommend.
I am not an expert, but I have tried quite a few and they were all pretty cheap. Here are a few to get started. And please no barking at my list.

Inver House
Ballentines
McLallen's
Johnny Walker Black
Glenlivet 12yr

Most Scotch is relatively pricey, compared to other spirits. One of the reasons I haven't dove in head first with scotch.
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote