Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default La Flor Dominicana Ligero Cabinet Oscuro

Size: 4 3/4×48, L250 Cabinet

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatran (Oscuro)

Binder: Dominican

Filler: Dominican

Strength: Full

Price: Box of 24, $146.99

Grade: 8.7

For you today we have our first review of a Litto Gomez cigar. The Ligero Series from La Flor Dominicana is available in three styles: A Ligero, which features Dominican ligero filler with an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper, the Cabinet, which has the same ligero but employs an Oscuro natural wrapper, and finally a Double Ligero, which has a similar blend to the regular Ligero, but with an added Dominican ligero binder.

The Ligero Series is available in several different sizes and varieties: Cabinet L200 (4.8×40), Cabinet L250 (4.7×48), Cabinet L250 Oscuro (4.7×48), Cabinet L300 (5.7×50), Cabinet L400 (5.7×54), Double Ligero DL654 (6×54), L300 (5.7×50), L400 (5.7×54), and the L500 (Torpedo, 6×54). The wrapper, binder, and filler all come from their farm in La Canela, Dominican Republic. Not quite a Maduro, the dark wrapped cigar we are reviewing today is referred to by Litto as an Oscuro.

Pre-light, 1.6:
The Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper on the LFD Ligero is very oily, silky to the touch, and bumpy in texture. The cigar is fairly well paced with a few soft spots here and there, but the cap is constructed nicely. The pre-light aroma is of leather and strong tobacco with mild spice at the foot. The cold draw is pleasant but does not produce a lot of discernible notes on my palate.The band is simple, solid, and fits the smoke very well.

Burn, 1.7:
The LFD cuts and lights well with a very nice draw; this continues throughout the smoke. The smoke temperature is a little warm at the beginning but evens out about ½ inch in. The ash layers up nicely with a medium to light gray color that is consistent. This cigar does require multiple touch ups and one re-light, but I attribute this to the Ligero tobacco and super oily wrapper encasing it, so I didn’t deduct much of anything for that attribute.

Flavor, 2.7:
The first puff on this smoke is creamy with notes of woody tobacco and spice. As we move farther in, the woody notes are still present but the smoke itself is kind of warm and dark with a nice bite of spice present. The Dominican tobacco is evident in the flavor profile and the wrapper is more noticeable on the exhale and finish. The above profile is pretty consistent throughout the smoke and overall I find this to be a creamy smoke with woody notes, but noticeable spice on the long finish.

Overall, 2.7:
This cigar leaned toward full bodied for me, though it was not as strong as I anticipated based on appearance. I enjoyed it as this is a blend that I do not smoke often; it was a nice change of pace for my palate. On that note, I would say it is worth the retail price of around six bucks and I feel certain you will get your money’s worth. Now, I need to pick up the double Ligero and give it a toast!

(Total: 8.7)
Old 06-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: La Flor Dominicana Ligero Cabinet Oscuro

Thanks for the review, I have enjoyed a few of these myself.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Thanks for a great review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review of a great stick!!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
darkninja67

Very good review. I got a box of these for cheap at cigarplace. Very good smoke but not overpowering like a DL
Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

had one of these yesterday a very good smoke
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote