Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default D’Crossier Diplomacy Series, Limited Edition 2008

Size: 4 7/8×50, Robusto

Wrapper: Colorado Claro

Binder: Costa Rican

Filler: Costa Rican and Dominican

Strength: Mild

Price: $7.40 MSRP

Grade: 9.1

This is our second review of the D’Crossier line of cigars; we detailed the company in our first review, but I’ll include it once more here.

D’Crossier is distributed by Pure Aroma Cigars and recently displayed at the 2009 IPCPR. The operation is based in Miami, Florida, while the manufacturing processes take place in Costa Rica. The president, Isaias Stantana Diaz, was Cuban born in 1973 and came to the United States in 1995, by way of Sweden; he rolled his first cigar at the age of 17 and has been on a journey to create a great cigar ever since. D’Crossier is named for Isaias’ great grandfather, Francis Navarro Crossier, whose legacy was impressed upon a young Isaias when coming across his diary. His great grandfather was an avid smoker and indulger in the finer things of life.

Currently, D’Crossier boasts a 5 cigar lineup: Premium Blend, Golden Blend, Limited Edition 2008, Imperium Class Vintage, and Presidential Four Pac. The Golden Blend received 4/5 stars and the Imperium Class Vintage received 3/5 stars from the 2009 Special Edition of the European Cult Journal. They also received a 90 from Cigar Snob Magazine for the Premium Blend (May/June 2009 Issue).

Today we are reviewing the Limited Edition 2008, from the Diplomacy Series. The MSRP ranges from $7.40-$9.00 and all are sold in boxes of 25, while the Robusto is also sold in boxes of 12. Additionally, a size sampler is available which includes one of each of the five sizes: Torpedo (6 1/8×52), Robusto (4 7/8×50), D’Corona (7 1/2×49), Taino (6 1/2×54), and Churchill (7×47).

To learn a bit more, you may visit them online. D’Crossier is a sponsor of Toasted Foot. Also, the pictures are of the Torpedo, because I smoked all the Robustos before photographing!

Pre-light, 1.8:
The Colorado Claro wrapper has a beautiful sheen to it, with a red hue gently brushing the medium brown leaf. Crowned with a double cap, the wrapper has minimal veins, hard to detect seams, and no soft spots. The aroma is of sweet espresso, while the cold draw brings in a slight vegetal profile most similar to the taste of okra and the smell of vegetable oil. There is a slight resistance in the draw as well.

Burn, 1.6:
Each sample I smoked had resistance on the draw, which prevented any thick clouds of smoke. However, it does burn very well in between puffs and does not require a great deal of care – with two or three consecutive puffs a pleasurable amount of smoke is supplied. The burn is slow and creates a nice, sheet-like ash that is consistently colored. The burn line remains even and sharp until around the half way point, when a large run skirts up the side – this is easily corrected and does not require a re-light.

Flavor, 2.9:
If I had sat down with Santana himself, the D’Crossier owner, I don’t know that he could have come any closer to my flavor preferences. Working well into thirds with excellent complexity, I am intrigued all the way through. The first third carries a slight pepper with sweet coffee notes, though the finish is dry and medium in length. Moving toward the second third, the pepper moves from the tongue to the back of the throat and a slight mustiness and vegetal notes dominate the middle third, with some cocoa in the background. The final third morphs into a very simple and clean profile, which creates a slow, steady, and gentle finish. The flavor profile is all cocoa in this portion, with the slight pepper remaining in the back of the throat. The transitions and complexity in this smoke create a very full flavor on the palate and yet the body remains mild to low medium at best.

Overall, 2.8:
For me, this is a smoke where you don’t think even once about the price and immediately go out hunting a box purchase, which is exactly what I did. The construction is solid, though the draw is a bit tight, and the flavor is exactly what I seek in a cigar – complex, bold, and yet gentle in strength. These are only sold in B&M stores, so be on the lookout if you see them. You will not be disappointed and this cigar will fit well with all levels of smokers. With an MSRP of $7.40 for the Robusto, I think it fits in nicely with other mid-priced premiums.

(Total: 9.1)