Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Water heater leak troubleshooting for dummies

Never had a hot water tank issue before. Small stream of water coming from the bottom of the tank. I shut off the gas and the supply line. The supply line shows visible condensation, but no actual drips. When shutting off supply line, leak from bottom stops. Therefore, I've eliminated that it's a hole at the bottom, but somewhere in the supply to the tank. There's no physical evidence of a leak, so if the leak is actually concealed inside the tank enclosure, is it pretty much in need of replacement?

I've thought about going with tankless, so I don't know if this is my sign or what.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Water heater leak troubleshooting for dummies

Last time I had water coming out of the bottom it meant replacement for me.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

+2
Old 03-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

How old is the tank? Typically the warranty is for 12years, by that time if you have not been flushing it regularly then you have a mountain range of calcium and iron in the bottom that is probably causing the leak. One thing you can do is try and drain it with a hose attached, when fully drained hose it out from the top inlet pipe with a spray attachment on your garden hose.

If that does not work then yes it is time for a new water heater and since you have gas then tank less is the way to go. Should last a lot longer and use a lot less gas, plus you will always have hot water, for those hour long showers.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Never had a hot water tank issue before. Small stream of water coming from the bottom of the tank. I shut off the gas and the supply line. The supply line shows visible condensation, but no actual drips. When shutting off supply line, leak from bottom stops. Therefore, I've eliminated that it's a hole at the bottom, but somewhere in the supply to the tank. There's no physical evidence of a leak, so if the leak is actually concealed inside the tank enclosure, is it pretty much in need of replacement?

I've thought about going with tankless, so I don't know if this is my sign or what.
Your diagnosis, or at the very least your explanation, makes very little sense.

Residential water heaters are just big tanks w/ a few pipes in/out and heating elements or, in the case of gas fired, a burner, plate bottom and exhaust pipe that runs through the center of the tank. There is no intricate piping system. If shutting off the supply stopped the leak, it's probably because you've eliminated the pressure supply. If you were to introduce air into the top of the tank, you would probably would have water coming out the leak point at the bottom again.

Here's a cutaway of a residential tank-style water heater:

As you can see, there really isn't anything there to leak except for the tank, and if it's leaking, it's probably a gonner. The older the unit is, the greater the likelihood of it being a leak in the tank, especially if the sacrificial anodes were never serviced (if equipped with them, not sure if all gas fired heaters have them).

Tankless are great, but they are expensive. The main thing will be matching up the desired temperature rise at the needed flow rate as you don't want to get one that is too small and incapable of heating enough hot water when multiple hot water valves are opened (say a shower and a sink or clothes washer). I would recommend looking at Rinnai brand for a tankless, they seemed to be the best rated and featured when I last looked into this, although things might have changed since then.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

It makes some sense that your tank might not leak with the supply turned off. It is possible that a partial vacuum is forming within the system that is just enough to keep the (what seems to me) small leak from occurring. Open a tap and see if it still leaks. Most likely will. Either way, looks like the tank is shot.

What I have read on tankless is that it is nearly impossible to recover your costs, especially on a replacement system since idea placement is likely impossible. However, it is always best to get several places to come out, give you an estimate and discuss the options. We expect our 80 gallon tank to not last more than 3 more years as it is 11 years old (although we do regularly flush it and have little if no sediment).
Old 03-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Thaplumbr
Feeling at Home

First Name: Leroy
Trading: (58)
Montecristo
Thaplumbr will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a pinhole in the tank from the information you've given, when the supply valve to the tank is open and no fixtures are being used, there is standing pressure on the tank, in my neighborhood, we typically have about 70 psi from the utility, also this time of year you will have condensation on the supply line if its not insulated!
Just my
Leroy
Old 03-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the responses thus far...I really lucked out.

My worthless homeowner warranty company won't dispatch anyone without me paying $125/hr on a weekend when I have a $75 deductible. Last memorial day weekend, my A/C crapped out...85 degrees upstairs, yet it's not an emergency of any sort.

The tank had a 9 year warranty and it was a Kenmore. I checked the year on it and it was only 7 years old, so I was still within warranty. Sears authorized a free replacement for me to pick up today and I found a guy on craigslist to install it for $100. Paid an extra $25 out of my pocket than messing with the warranty company, but I've got hot water tonight rather than waiting for who knows how long.

This is what I got for free. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2&blockType=G2
Old 03-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Good for you, Duane!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

My water leaking out of the bottom is due to a leak around the threads of the water supply line, directly above the HWH, Water is dripping down the pipe, into the top of the heater case, saturating the insulation, running out the bottom. Maybe it's not the tank at all!!!! Mine wasn't.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
My water leaking out of the bottom is due to a leak around the threads of the water supply line, directly above the HWH, Water is dripping down the pipe, into the top of the heater case, saturating the insulation, running out the bottom. Maybe it's not the tank at all!!!! Mine wasn't.
Nah, there wasn't any water leaking visibly from the top. All is well now Cliff. New water heater for free with $100 installation from a kid off craigslist.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

That's excellent Duane. Good that it was resolved quickly and to hear that at least someone out there, in this case Sears, still stands behind their warranties, rather than trying to weasel out from them.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote