Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation
Default Watch out for Third-hand Smoke

http://health.yahoo.com/news/afp/hea...209102313.html

This is getting ridiculous.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
silentjon

Default Re: Watch out for Third-hand Smoke

Just watch out for fourth hand smoke.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

Saw this. What crap.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentjon View Post
Just watch out for fourth hand smoke.
Guess they will have to put me on "Double Secret Probation."

Wow...
Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

If you have a young baby at home, this actually does matter, so it's advisable to change your clothes and wash up after a smoke before being around the baby. There's also been studies linking this kind of third hand exposure to SIDS. Beyond that, I agree that people are going to far. I don't think an adult should worry about that little of a residue. I'm sure filling up your tank at the gas station exposes you to more carcinogens than this.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Aldebaran

Soon it will be an entire octopus of smoke and no one will be safe. It is ridiculous how much people worry about it, but saying that I do agree if you have a newborn it is probably better to err on the side of ridiculousness.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
feathersforever

This is a little much. I do hit the showers between a cigar and holding my little girl because she is only five months old, but otherwise... this just seems over the top.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
TrickNick

I'm suing my neighbor because he smokes on his porch 600 feet away from my deck, where wind has caused us second hand exposure. I blame my low intelligence, general ignorance, and boneheadedness on this exposure.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Applecare warranty service department: 1
Smokers: 0
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

I don't care how many hands it has, its not going to kill me any faster than my cell phone, TV, radio, car exhaust, computer, fluorescent lights, animals, politicians, meteors, global warming, terrorists, the large hadron collider, drug cartels..............
Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
If you have a young baby at home, this actually does matter, so it's advisable to change your clothes and wash up after a smoke before being around the baby.
or you could make the baby smoke, so it doesn't matter anymore

Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation

I think everyone would agree that we want to protect our kids from any chemical exposure, but we do that anyway - it's just common sense. If the media is so interested in reporting danger, maybe they should take a look at the chemicals in bug sprays, paint, cleaning products, carpets and rugs, food containers, soaps and detergents etc. that are routinely used around kids. But then, that wouldn't be as popular as demonizing smokers...
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

When is the study going to be made that watching someone smoke on tv is going to give you cancer?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
If you have a young baby at home, this actually does matter, so it's advisable to change your clothes and wash up after a smoke before being around the baby. There's also been studies linking this kind of third hand exposure to SIDS. Beyond that, I agree that people are going to far. I don't think an adult should worry about that little of a residue. I'm sure filling up your tank at the gas station exposes you to more carcinogens than this.
I would love to see the source on those studies. My guess is that they might be a tad biased. There have been studies linking a lot of things to a lot of other things that have been nothing but Horse Hockey too. At what concentration levels are they talking, and for how long, and what kind of exposure? I suppose that the highly popular "Toddlers licking ashtrays" sport will now be banned too.

I wash my hands before I have interaction with people other than BOTL after a smoke not for health reasons, but because it's a little stinky, and I have respect for those around me when I am not excercising my right to smoke.

Last edited by replicant_argent; 02-09-2010 at 11:55 AM.
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Here's one article:
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I would love to see the source on those studies. My guess is that they might be a tad biased. There have been studies linking a lot of things to a lot of other things that have been nothing but Horse Hockey too. At what concentration levels are they talking, and for how long, and what kind of exposure? I suppose that the highly popular "Toddlers licking ashtrays" sport will now be banned too.

I wash my hands before I have interaction with people other than BOTL after a smoke not for health reasons, but because it's a little stinky, and I have respect for those around me when I am not excercising my right to smoke.
I've heard it from several friends, and had it pounded into me by my wife, who is a research scientist for a pharmaceutical company and who doesn't take a study seriously unless it was published in a respected medical journal. Not that people don't demonize smokers, but there is really no escaping that it is harmful to infants.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

And to think I happily played with hair pins and electrical outlets as a child!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #17
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC

Sorry, that link was second hand smoke, here is a reference to the study about third hand smoke.
These studies are generally sponsered by anti-smoking groups, but they are done by impartial scientists with impartial science, so I wouldn't question the results just because the funding came from some a-holes that want to ban tobacco. It's not a question of whether or not smoking is a filthy habit, it's a question of whether or not we want the governent regulating our filthy habits
Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #18
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
These studies are generally sponsered by anti-smoking groups, but they are done by impartial scientists with impartial science, ...
I won't correct the spelling, but...

Sure, we all know how impartial they seem to be. Ever hear of global warming debate? Ever seen an anti-smoking group that will hire an impartial scientist? Every group with a goal will always fund someone else with same goals, otherwise its a waste of money on their part. I am not saying nicotine is not bad, I am simply pointing out that one can always "find" proof if need be, especially when there is money involved.

Going back to the first article posted, just how common is nitrous acid in everyday environment? This should be key and I would like to see some numbers, not only how common, but if it is, then at what levels and at that point, at what levels does it bind with nicotine. Without these numbers this whole debate is BS.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #19
ChicagoWhiteSox

wow....
Old 02-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #20
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
These studies are generally sponsered by anti-smoking groups, but they are done by impartial scientists with impartial science, so I wouldn't question the results just because the funding came from some a-holes that want to ban tobacco. It's not a question of whether or not smoking is a filthy habit, it's a question of whether or not we want the governent regulating our filthy habits
With all due respect, that statement is completely contradictory. Scientists who depend on grants from anti-smoking groups are going to be inherently biased - anti-smoking groups aren't funding any more studies if the scientists don't come out against smoking. There goes the scientists' money.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote