Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 02-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road
Default Brew Dog Fans?

I got into microbrews six or seven years ago, but I haven't kept up on what's new since then. However lately it seems like I see Brew Dog beers nearly everywhere.

Does anybody love this stuff? If so, what do you recommend?

I have to admit, at $80 a bottle, the 32% abv "Tactical Nuclear Peguin" made me roll my eyes when I first read about it, and I kinda wrote these guys off as dorks.

Right now I'm halfway through a bottle of their "Hardcore IPA" and it's decent, but I'd still prefer a Dogfish 90 if we're drinking Imperial IPAs. The Hardcore is all hops with near zero sweetness to balance things out . On the positive side, the aroma when I first poured it was incredible. I don't know if I've ever had a beer that smelled so intensely of fresh hops. Unfortunately, I'm not a hop freak.

so anyhow, I can taste the love that Brew Dog has for making quality stuff, but it just seems a tad nerdy for me. I want to believe they're making beer that's tasty and not just "the hoppiest" or "world's strongest". Are these guys strictly gimmick clowns or worth another shot?

cheers

Last edited by JJG; 02-17-2011 at 09:45 PM.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Brew Dog Fans?

They just started showing up around here and like you I wrote them off because of the high gravity stunts. I guess I need to try some of there brews before I knock them. They have some sort of collaboration with Mikkeller that I've been meaning to try
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

I've seen a couple of their beers at some local shops, but all singles and usually running about $6 each. Maybe because they're imported, I dunno My preference is still for the US microbrews. Maybe I'm one of those damn American beer snobs.

An interesting take on some of their beers--the Tactical Nuclear Penguin looks like they used some kind of icewine technique to freeze and concentrate the beer. Might be worth a taste, but only if someone else is buying!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
My preference is still for the US microbrews. Maybe I'm one of those damn American beer snobs.
+1
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

I had their peat-smoked imperial stout (forget the name) and it was a peat smoked explosion! My friend and I did not finish the 12 ouce bottle, but it was at least a very interesting beer I'm glad I tried....once. The peat-smoke was just sooooo intense, and I am not a huge fan of peat smoke. It was, other than that, a well crafted beer and unique. If you love peat smoke in a big way (like some of the scotches) and RIS's, this is your beer. If not, it's at least a fun 'one-off' tasting (not cheap though, but worth it once to me).
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote