Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 05:06 AM   #1561
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
Only if you like to blow up your hands

Unsupported chamber + .40 = F that.

Glock 19 is where it's at...
Come on Jordan, you know that only happens when you use reloads. Buy a Glock 23 and then buy the aftermarket barrel and magazines in 9mm and then you have 2 guns in one
Old 07-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #1562
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Come on Jordan, you know that only happens when you use reloads. Buy a Glock 23 and then buy the aftermarket barrel and magazines in 9mm and then you have 2 guns in one
(or cheap ammo*)

If you're gonna go the unsupported route, then go Glock 29. Skip all the pansy stuff and go for gold. 10 rounds of 10mm = pure awesome.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #1563
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
(or cheap ammo*)

If you're gonna go the unsupported route, then go Glock 29. Skip all the pansy stuff and go for gold. 10 rounds of 10mm = pure awesome.
I have a Glock 20
Old 07-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #1564
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
I have a Glock 20
Or fine.. if you have mutant hands, you can do that too
Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #1565
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Or fine.. if you have mutant hands, you can do that too
Yeah, I have huge hands
Old 07-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #1566
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Let's talk handguns suitable for backpacking. I was thinking a s&w j frame .357 but the ultra snub nose concerns me. I'd like at least 2.5".

reccomendations?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #1567
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Let's talk handguns suitable for backpacking. I was thinking a s&w j frame .357 but the ultra snub nose concerns me. I'd like at least 2.5".

reccomendations?

Taurus Judge.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #1568
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Taurus Judge.
No way! Read this:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm
Old 07-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #1569
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
So what's your point?

Load first two chambers with shot shells for snakes, next three with .45LC for everything else.

I guess my mistake in mentioning the Judge was thinking that people would have the common sense to realize that the weapon can use two different cartridges (at the same time even!) and that the .410 shot is less than ideal for shooting a large mass.

When loaded intelligently and logically, it's great weapon.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #1570
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Taurus Judge.
+1 I'm down with the Judge.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #1571
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

reccomendations?
Definitely a revolver because it will withstand the possible exposure to wet and dirt better than an auto. Super light weight and snub nose isn't really necessary because you don't need deep concealement. In fact depending on the places you go you may be able to wear it across the chest like some hunters do with their backup pistol. If you want this for defense against animals as well as people you should carry a revolver capable of at least .38/.357. You can go bigger but if you are not a gun enthusiast a higher caliber may not work as well for you all things considered.
If it was me I think I would look at a S&W 686 or 686+ in 4" or 6" configuration. Long barrel length is a good thing because it delivers the most possible power as well as longer sight radius for better accuracy in aiming situations. The .38/357 cal with the medium steel frame means a good power/kick ratio.The Ruger GP100 is a good choice too. That puts you over 2 lbs but with a good holster and belt that's not so bad. Get a holster made for the woods - maybe with a flap. It will keep the grit out.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #1572
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Very interesting.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #1573
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Few criteria. No taurus. No ruger. Must be less than 20 ounces. 357 minimum. Not ultra snubnose. Black or blue preferred. It will be mostly concealed.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #1574
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Must be less than 20 ounces. 357 minimum. Not ultra snubnose.
Might be tough to get all of those in one.

If you're willing to give a few ounces on the weight though...

BTW, the S&W J-frames you mentioned earlier are very good weapons.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #1575
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Kinevel View Post
Well, what are you using now? Most weapons can be concealed (yes even the full sized variety). Usually all it takes is a good holster. Crossbreed makes one helluva holster for most weapons carried. Also what caliber are you looking for? I would use no less than 9mm.

-Z
I've carried full-size concealed before, its not that I dislike it, I'm just going for something smaller on while on the motorcycle. I have plenty of holsters but I actually just bought a Lil Joes Motorcycle Vest with the built in gun pocket inside the vest. It holds my full size weapons fine but again I'm looking for something a bit smaller.

I've carried a S&W Model 60-15 .357 Mag, I've carried the Glock 26 and a Ruger P90. Not horribly excited w/ the S&W, I used Glock for a decent amount of time at work so I try to stay away from them when I'm able and the full size Ruger was just too big.

Quote:
Avoid anything with the name Ruger on it... period.

Not based on quality, but principle.

What's the thoughts behind that Jordan?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #1576
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Ruger is the anti gun , gun company.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #1577
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Might be tough to get all of those in one.

If you're willing to give a few ounces on the weight though...

BTW, the S&W J-frames you mentioned earlier are very good weapons.
My only logic is if we're talking 26 to 30 ounces, I'd just rather go with a G29 which preserves my muscle memory comparable to a G19. Which a Glock isn't going have an issue with dirt, dust, grime or water. That and 10mm is no slouch.

Kind of interesting though that the J frames fill a niche market with no other competition.

The Taurus Judge sounds interesting, but I refuse to support that company with my dollars.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #1578
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
My only logic is if we're talking 26 to 30 ounces, I'd just rather go with a G29 which preserves my muscle memory comparable to a G19. Which a Glock isn't going have an issue with dirt, dust, grime or water. That and 10mm is no slouch.

Kind of interesting though that the J frames fill a niche market with no other competition.

The Taurus Judge sounds interesting, but I refuse to support that company with my dollars.
No doubt or debate, the Glock is a great weapon, I don't need to be convinced of that. For some carry situations, I think a revolver, even though you give up a few rounds and maybe some weight, might be a better choice. Not even the Glock is infallible. Yes, a revolver a very old concept in the design. But, it frickin' works. It's simple, reliable and rugged. Fast, no. Sometimes though, simple and reliable trump magazine capacities and speed fire.

Off the top of my head, I think a S&W 640 Centennial .357 magnum weighs 32oz.

I could get under the 30oz limit by going to a 642 airweight, but, IIRC, .38+P is as much as it will handle per the manufacturer.

While one of them exceeds your weight restrictions, the other falls slightly short of your power demands, I would not have a problem with either of those for myself. I would not have a problem with their senior counterpart bodyguard models either, but I can't personally see where I would need single-action capability for this situation.

There are a few other .45/.410 revolvers on the market, The Judge just happens to be the most readily available. I haven't spent much time looking into them since they're illegal in the state I live in, maybe a local gunstore can help you with some of the other manufacturers.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #1579
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
No doubt or debate, the Glock is a great weapon, I don't need to be convinced of that. For some carry situations, I think a revolver, even though you give up a few rounds and maybe some weight, might be a better choice. Not even the Glock is infallible. Yes, a revolver a very old concept in the design. But, it frickin' works. It's simple, reliable and rugged. Fast, no. Sometimes though, simple and reliable trump magazine capacities and speed fire.

Off the top of my head, I think a S&W 640 Centennial .357 magnum weighs 32oz.

I could get under the 30oz limit by going to a 642 airweight, but, IIRC, .38+P is as much as it will handle per the manufacturer.

While one of them exceeds your weight restrictions, the other falls slightly short of your power demands, I would not have a problem with either of those for myself. I would not have a problem with their senior counterpart bodyguard models either, but I can't personally see where I would need single-action capability for this situation.

There are a few other .45/.410 revolvers on the market, The Judge just happens to be the most readily available. I haven't spent much time looking into them since they're illegal in the state I live in, maybe a local gunstore can help you with some of the other manufacturers.
I won't argue the revolver is the premier choice for this application (which is why I'm hunting for one), but all I was getting at is if weight was a wash between an auto and a revolver, I'll go with where my training lies.

I found on the S&W site, the M&P 360 model revolver.

3" barrel, .357, black and ~15 oz.

Only issue is it has a hammer, which wasn't a deal breaker, but weird that they don't offer a 3" hammerless model in black.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #1580
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

My everyday carry is the S&W Airweight 642 revolver with Crimson trace.

It fits perfectly in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster in the cargo shorts I normally wear and you don't even notice it's there.

I keep Speer Gold dots short barrel rounds in it and feel very confident in its stopping power although I pray I never truly find out.

Sure a Glock carries more rounds but for my skinny frame it's too big to propery conceal and I live by the theory if I need more than 5 shots, I'm probably not making it home for dinner.

Had a Taurus 357 and found it painful to pracice with and tried a Kel Tec P11, which in my opinion is the biggest piece of junk gun in the world.

The fact that Taurus is made in Brazil should have made me run but my first divorce after 2 years to a Brazilian woman didn't stop me from marrying another one 7 years later. I'm a slow learner.

Last edited by floydpink; 07-26-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Closed Thread