Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #21
rlmedic
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (5)
rlmedic is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wanted to Throw up :pu

Well john if you ever make to Raleigh stop in Empire Cigars they have Liga, used to have the sharks and its a great bunch of BTOL's Plus great prices
rlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #22
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I'm hoping to get up there one of these days to herf with you Raleigh guys. Every once in awhile I will go to Empires website and get jealous when I see their announcements of whats new. Seems like if it's put there they have it.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #23
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

My local cigar bar charges $70 for Davidoff Ani # 3's and $30-40 for big ass Gurkha something or others. People pay it or he'd lower his prices. Should he be drummed out of business because he offeres a nice lounge with leather couches and plasma tv's with a great wine selection and really expensive/overpriced cigars? His regular customers don't have an issue with that but I do so I don't shop there. I'm not going to picket in front of his store for lower prices, I just shop somewhere else. And I used to work there.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #24
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Sorry Bobby, but that is just an ignorant statement. A store owner has the right to charge whatever they want for their product. As consumers it is our right to not shop at that establishment.

There are several factors that may be involved other than greed. High overhead or they may not be a Fuente dealer therefore paid more on the secondary market.

Challenging a shopkeeper regarding pricing is always unwise, just walk and move on to another shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Every business has the right to charge for even the air your breathing in their store. On the other hand, you have the option to take your business elswhere where you feel your getting the value for your money that you expect. .

I couldnt agree more with Bob and Mike. Smartest thing to do if you dont like the price on certain items is DONT BUY THEM.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #25
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
I couldnt agree more with Bob and Mike. Smartest thing to do if you dont like the price on certain items is DONT BUY THEM.

Ok, now I'm really geting concerned. The day I type something and it makes sense gets me worried. I truely want a #43 Troy Palamalu Steelers jersey. On the other hand the closest I can find is a knock off $80 look a like. As bad as I want one, I just can't see $80 for a fake jersey..... So I vote with my dollars. Still love my non play off making Steelers though.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #26
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Agree with most that say move on, and that is what I would do.
However, I imagine that a Fuente rep would be interested to hear that someone is butt raping people and using their cigars as the tool.
Doesn't paint pretty brand image. (especially in my terms )

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #27
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namerifrats View Post
...It's called supply and demand. Not gouging since cigars are not a necessity, but a luxury. ...No need for people to get worked up because somebody is trying to make money. If it's priced too high, walk away.

A friend of mine owns a coffee house - is he price gouging when he sells coffee, baked goods, sandwiches etc. at two to three times his cost or more? His customers don't think so and by the time he pays all his fixed and variable costs he earns less than you'd think. If someone thinks the prices are too high they can go to any number of other places, but he has many happy and loyal customers.

I just don't get why some people get so incensed at high cigar prices. What about movie and sporting event tickets and their concession prices, branded clothing (Nike, Billabong etc.), software, drinks at local bars, food at restaurants, kid's toys, guitars etc.. I have friends in all those product industries and in many cases those things are marked up 10 times or more. It isn't price gouging, "rape" etc. when you have a choice to not buy it...
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #28
havanajohn
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: John
Trading: (26)
Cohiba
havanajohn is on a distinguished road

30.00 a stick for Sharks is very high IMHO. I was at the CI Superstore in December. I saw the Sharks and asked what the price was. The sales person looked and said 30.00 each. I said no thanks they were more them I am used to paying. He asked what that was and I told him 10.49/MSRP each in the same state (PA). He said that was not the MSRP... I said to check it out, and he will see. Well, he did. He walked up to our group that was smoking in the upper smoking area, apologized to me, and handed me a Ruination as a gift. Very classy sales person. I looked him up when I left, and picked up about 125.00 of other gars from him...-John
havanajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #29
ScottieM
AKA Thurm15

First Name: Scott
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
ScottieM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hopefully your thread here doesn't say much about you really are and the BOTLs you are representing. Every business has the right to charge for even the air your breathing in their store. On the other hand, you have the option to take your business elswhere where you feel your getting the value for your money that you expect. If the store is charging those prices and getting them then why in the world would they charge less? They are there to make money. Unless they had some Red Cross painted on the front door indicating they are a charity and were giving them away I wouldn't expect any less from them.

I had the same conversation with a friend concerning the cost of NASCAR tickets. I told him the stands are full so the tickets muct not be too high. We teh customer control pricing, vote with your $$$, it works. Being an a$$ just makes it harder when the next BOTL walks in after you. My and worth about that much.
I disagree with your comments. He's the Customer. He didn't like the price of the Cigars so he let them know. Thats part of doing business and I don't see anything wrong with that.
ScottieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #30
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Trading: (23)
chenvt will become famous soon enough

This is why I only smoke white owls
chenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #31
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I really don't see anything wrong with making a comment about the pricing. If a retailer can't take my busting his/her chops a little for pricing things way above retail then they shouldn't do it. If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #32
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

sharks $13 dollars a stick here. Thats ridiculous.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #33
pitbulljimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Agree with most that say move on, and that is what I would do.
However, I imagine that a Fuente rep would be interested to hear that someone is butt raping people and using their cigars as the tool.
Doesn't paint pretty brand image. (especially in my terms )
I think I heard somewhere that if you reported that kind of price gouging to Fuente that they would pull their "Authorized Dealer"-ness.... I don't know if it's true or not, but it doesn't hurt you any to make a phone call.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #34
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieM View Post
I disagree with your comments. He's the Customer. He didn't like the price of the Cigars so he let them know. Thats part of doing business and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Feel free to disagree - I don't mind.

While Neoflex understood what I was geetting at, you didn't. I was concerned with his attitude about taking pleasure (maybe too strong a word) in seeing them change their demeanor based on his comments. That is above and beyond stating as a customer he was disatisfied with the pricing. Even as customers, we too also bear some responsibility as to the attitudes and the way we are treated in the stores. If evryone went in being the a$$, regardless as to being the customer, we will not be treated well. Case in point, see HavanaJohn's post a few posts ahead of this one. Also take a read on my "3 man herf" thread. By not being the a$$, we walked away with over $150.00 in comps and were invited back to the establishment for a commercial cigar herf with one of the company reps showing up. But, YMMV and it's my just .02

Last edited by Volt; 02-17-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #35
ScottieM
AKA Thurm15

Quote:
Feel free to disagree - I don't mind.

While Neoflex understood what I was geetting at, you didn't. I was concerned with his attitude about taking pleasure (maybe too strong a word) in seeing them change their demeanor based on his comments. That is above and beyond stating as a customer he was disatisfied with the pricing. Even as customers, we too also bear some responsibility as to the attitudes and the way we are treated in the stores. If evryone went in being the a$$, regardless as to being the customer, we will not be treated well. Case in point, see HavanaJohn's post a few posts ahead of this one. Also take a read on my "3 man herf" thread. By not being the a$$, we walked away with over $150.00 in comps and were invited back to the establishment for a commercial cigar herf with one of the company reps showing up. But, YMMV and it's my just .02
From what I read in his post, He wasn't out of line. In this world the Customer is always right, Even when he's wrong.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #36
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieM View Post
From what I read in his post, He wasn't out of line. In this world the Customer is always right, Even when he's wrong.
This is completely misguided. The customer may think they are always right, but in reality they seldom have knowledge of the situation. Do you know what the rent is on the shop in question? Do you know the terms of his business loan? Do you know if there are city taxes on tobacco at his location?

To the contrary a shop owner is the one who is right and can set his prices as the market will bear. A few years ago Toyota and other dealers marked up Hybrids in California at least 30% over MSRP. And they still had waiting lists and people trying to outbid buyers. This is exactly how a free-market system should work.

A customer does not have the right to be rude or offensive. Nor does a shop owner have to take abuse from his customers. If you dont like the price, walk. Its that simple, you speak with your wallet. Being argumentative or confrontational will not get an owner to lower his prices any more than saying "I can get the same thing online for X"
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #37
ScottieM
AKA Thurm15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
This is completely misguided. The customer may think they are always right, but in reality they seldom have knowledge of the situation. Do you know what the rent is on the shop in question? Do you know the terms of his business loan? Do you know if there are city taxes on tobacco at his location?

To the contrary a shop owner is the one who is right and can set his prices as the market will bear. A few years ago Toyota and other dealers marked up Hybrids in California at least 30% over MSRP. And they still had waiting lists and people trying to outbid buyers. This is exactly how a free-market system should work.

A customer does not have the right to be rude or offensive. Nor does a shop owner have to take abuse from his customers. If you dont like the price, walk. Its that simple, you speak with your wallet. Being argumentative or confrontational will not get an owner to lower his prices any more than saying "I can get the same thing online for X"
Without the Customer there is no Business. Being out of line while doing business is never right for either side. But I don't see where Neo was out of line from reading his post.

We can speak with our wallet and "Walk" as you say. I can't say there is anything wrong with just doing that. But I also believe that the Customer can let a Business know that he's not happy. If I were a Business owner I'd want to know.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #38
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

The shop Neo is talking about is a fairly new Fuente retailer but hasn't been in business long enough to land the higher end stuff like Opus and Anejo's. So they buy at regular retail, then mark them up accordingly. That's why they are so expensive. If I didn't know that, I probably would ask them why the high price.

I personally love this shop and the others they have opened mainly because it realy ticks the owner of Tinder Box's in the same area off. And that dude is a "grade A" pr*ck.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #39
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
The shop Neo is talking about is a fairly new Fuente retailer but hasn't been in business long enough to land the higher end stuff like Opus and Anejo's. So they buy at regular retail, then mark them up accordingly. That's why they are so expensive. If I didn't know that, I probably would ask them why the high price.

I personally love this shop and the others they have opened mainly because it realy ticks the owner of Tinder Box's in the same area off. And that dude is a "grade A" pr*ck.
And there is the "X" factor. A markup of 50% over cost is neither unexpected nor out of line.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #40
bleedingshrimp

Well you realized in retrospect that you could've probably said it more tactfully and still got your intended message across. I've called vendors (not for cigars) and flat out told them that I could get a better price for a product online, but would prefer to do business with them locally if they could meet me somewhere between the two prices. A few times they've met me on price or part of the way and appreciated my approach, and other times they've told me to pound sand.