Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #61
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What cigar recently surprised you?

The Illusione Rothchildes are a very good cigar at a great price.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #62
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Picked up some Perdomo Lot 23 Punta Gordas on the devil site for a just silly low price, naturally wasn't expecting too much out of them but was pleasantly surprised by this stick, lots of creamy smoke, very nutty taste throughout, the only issue was a bit of cracking of the wrapper about 2/3rds of the way through, a couple more weeks in the winador should take care of that.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #63
ripper
Busy doing nothing

First Name: Bart
Trading: (12)
Cohiba
ripper will become famous soon enough

Glad this thread was resurrected.
Am constantly impressed by Pueblo Dominicano, an exclusive AJ Fernandez blend from the CI & cigar.com empire.
Got an earthy coffee tang and a glorious Ecuador habano wrapper. My go-to smoke when I've pitched a yucko cigar into the huckleberry bushes. Yinz can nab Pueblo Dominicano for bargain prices at cbid.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #64
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

EPC Cardinal
Old 03-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #65
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Recently...the Sencillo Blacks and RoMa Craft Cromagnons. Both are FANTASTIC sticks.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #66
Blocky Patel
New Guy:"Oh my gawwwd"

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (0)
Blocky Patel is on a distinguished road

Just joined and grunching...

I attended the Big Smoke in Vegas in November, and was surprised by several cigars, but none more than the Nat Sherman. I had heard of the brand, of course, but only in relation to cigarettes and I thought the brand was only something from long ago. I couldn't believe the quality of the cigar, and have asked my local store to order some.

Also, 3 weeks ago I bought some more Ambos Mundos (Pete Johnson) which I have always loved, especially since I could pick them up for a little over $4/stick. I was not really surprised when these cigars hit the Cigar Aficionado top 25 list 2 years in a row. What surprised me about the recent smokes however, was how horrible they were. Anyone else experience Ambos Mundos inconsistency?
Blocky Patel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #67
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

CAO Italia, I avoid CAO because the first few I had weren't anything to write home about. My B&M gives a free cigar every month to locker members. I found the Italia in my locker and it was very, very good. It was out of my wheelhouse enough that I found it interesting, but not so much that I hated it. I might spring for a box.

There was also an Arturo Fuente Especialles in there that I wanted to punt across the room after an inch. I usually love AF stuff so I guess that one surprised me too.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #68
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

La Gloria Cubana Churchill Maduro. Smoked it at a long ash competition but it turned out to be a fantastic cigar.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #69
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper View Post
Glad this thread was resurrected.
Am constantly impressed by Pueblo Dominicano, an exclusive AJ Fernandez blend from the CI & cigar.com empire.
Got an earthy coffee tang and a glorious Ecuador habano wrapper. My go-to smoke when I've pitched a yucko cigar into the huckleberry bushes. Yinz can nab Pueblo Dominicano for bargain prices at cbid.
I second the Pueblo. I had one a few days ago that I got in a sampler and enjoyed it quite a bit.
Porch Dweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #70
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Picked up some Perdomo Lot 23 Punta Gordas on the devil site for a just silly low price, naturally wasn't expecting too much out of them but was pleasantly surprised by this stick, lots of creamy smoke, very nutty taste throughout, the only issue was a bit of cracking of the wrapper about 2/3rds of the way through, a couple more weeks in the winador should take care of that.
The Lot 23 Naturals and Maduros are damned good cigars. I had several of the Connecticuts and was surprised by how little I enjoyed them. They just had very little taste to them at all.
Porch Dweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #71
ScottieM
AKA Thurm15

First Name: Scott
Trading: (1)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
ScottieM is on a distinguished road

Bought a 10 Pack of JDN Antano Dark Corojo El Martillo (Toro) for a cheapie at work. What a great Cigar! Lots of Flavor right off the bat. Definitely worth the $3.20 a Stick I paid for em.
ScottieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #72
drjammer
I love Hockey!!!

First Name: Don
Guantanamera
drjammer has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieM View Post
Bought a 10 Pack of JDN Antano Dark Corojo El Martillo (Toro) for a cheapie at work. What a great Cigar! Lots of Flavor right off the bat. Definitely worth the $3.20 a Stick I paid for em.
+1 Great cigar, especially fro the price
Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #73
Crownedone
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Stephen
Crownedone is on a distinguished road

Had a savinelle and a Nat Sherman. I don't know what they were, both were a small size. Both sweet and took me by surprise. Great smokes each.
Crownedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #74
CJS
Lifting Expectations

First Name: Chrys
Cohiba
CJS is on a distinguished road

Montecristo Open Junior.

I have smoked a couple of Master and Regata from the Open line, and unfortunately they were all somewhat disappointing. They simply had no taste and boring. But this morning, I lighted up a Junior that was thrown in as a freebie when I picked up a box of Siglo-II from my local cigar shop. I believe this particular Junior came from a 2011 box.

The Junior, while still a bit mild, was quite enjoyable. Easy draw, lots of smoke, with typical Montecristo aroma. I'm thinking of getting some more of them.
CJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #75
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Room 101 (Daruma and Nabakumi in thinner RG's.) Hadn't liked any I'd tried previously (San Andres, OSOK, the one with the extra black lable that says Camacho, fat-assed Daruma.....)

Recently had Daruma in lancero and PC. Both outstanding.
Friday, I tried a Nabkumi Ecuador in PC. Also outstanding.

Must admit that I'm a little frustrated by info currently available on these. Their web site won't work on my computers (maybe a Flash or ActiveX thing?) and comprehensive info on lines, sizes, etc is only obtained painfully from scattered info. Or, I'm just becoming a crappy googler.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #76
riverdawg
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jamie
Navy (Served With Honor)
riverdawg is on a distinguished road

Probably shouldn't have been surprised but was. The LADC series has been well reviewed but I hadn't gotten around to smoking any of them. Picked up a couple of each blend through the series in the smallest ring gauges available at the shop in Charleston while on a long weekend. Liked them all well enough, with the Mi Amor probably being the best... until I got to the Mi Amor Reserva. Wow, on the first one, Wow on the second one, found a box deal and wow on all of them so far. The Mexican wrapper was the surprising part. Going to have to give mexican wrapper stogies another look.
riverdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #77
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

'09 VR Familiar
Old 04-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #78
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

The Black Crowns have been very good to me. Tons of great flavor at a great price when you score them on the devil site.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #79
badbriar

Cusano 18 Paired Maduro - one of the smoothest cigars I've come across. Don't usually care much for milder stogies, but this one is one of my favorites to enjoy on a less than full stomach.
RR