Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Nica Libre (Principe?)

Since the Nica Libre has drawn a lot of discussion here, I'd figure I'd repost two blind reviews done last summer on them. The first take is mine. The second take is EEE's blind review of the same stick. Take it for what it's worth.

My take:

Construction: 5.5 x42 box-pressed (very square), dark brown wrapper

Pre-light: I honestly forgot to do a pre-light draw.

1st Third: The first bit tasted both bitter and like plain old tobacco. The bitterness remained, but a dark coffee flavor was detectable.

2nd Third: Still bitterness. Dark coffee is behind the bitterness. A nutty flavor is detectable near the end of the second third. Some sort of bitter nut.

Final Third: Still bitter. The nutty flavor is still there, and the coffee returns. Bitterness, nuttiness, and black coffee.

Final Thoughts: The cigar had a bitter taste in the forefront the entire time. The coffee and nutty flavors were nice, but they were behind the bitter flavor. This appearance of this cigar was very attractive, but the bitterness left a bad taste in my mouth.
Would I buy this cigar again? I'd be willing to give it a second shot, as the bitterness may have been exclusive to this single stick.

EEE's take:

I instantly think Mayorga when I pull out this small ring gauged box pressed stick. Though I personally don't know if they come in wrappers outside of jet black - which this one wasn't.

Pre-draw - rich tobacco & bitter on the back of my tongue

Initial light - nice. Interesting coffee and dark dark chocolate taste - that definitely coincides with my pre-draw taste.

First third - the ash is super weak on this, falls off at a butterfly's wing flap. Taste has subdued considerably but still get the dark chocolate undertone.

Second third - good burn, horrid ash, becoming less and less chocolate and more bitter.

Last third - purge, draw, ash fall, taste burnt chocolate, repeat ......... though I must have been hypnotized as I literally nubbed this thing down as far as I could go. Hmmm.

Maybe I have two sides of my smoking brain fighting each other on this. One side isn't impressed at all with the ash and just wants to trash it, doesn't like the burnt chocolate -- but the other side finds it interesting and wants to continue to see where it goes......

I'm not sure I'd buy this cigar but definitely would smoke it again if gifted.

Original reviews in the Blind thread (my review has a pic).
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...9&postcount=82
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...1&postcount=79

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nica Libre (Principe?)

Thanks for posting these, nice job!
Old 04-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review!!!

The size of the Principe is 4.5 x 46.

I really enjoy the Nica Libre and this size, and the torpedo, especially.

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

I picked up a flight sampler of the cuba libre line for $2 /stick. I tried the principe first. One dimensional but it had a good flavor. Good burn. Good construction - held up to being clenched in the teeth. Not harsh or acrid. Over all a good smoke and the best $2 cigar I've tried. I'll definitely keep some of these around for fishing and yard work.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy these...especially for the price!!
Old 10-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

These are better in the larger rings.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Been wanting to try these just keep finding something else to buy when I go looking.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

I got a 5 pack of torpedoes and found them very "meh". They weren't rolled very well either. Soft spots, loose draw, etc. Maybe I got a bad batch but they were bad enough for me not to try any more.

Glad somebody likes them. Maybe yooz guys will bid on these instead of outbidding me on other stuff!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

These are decent cheap cigars. When they were introduced, they suffered because they were touted as being comparable to a Padron. Not likely!
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote