Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
jerseyjay
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
jerseyjay is on a distinguished road
Default Viaje Oro Reserva VOR No5

Additional photographs, check cigarphoto.net

Quote:
This week we are photographing and reviewing a cigar from Raices Cubanas factory (Honduras) – Viaje Oro Reserva VOR No5. This specific Viaje release has made a huge splash in the cigar industry after being recognized as No2 cigar of the year 2010 by traditional media magazine (* No1 being Cohiba Behike). Although Viaje has had a major following already, this recognition has put Andre Farkas’ brand in the hands of the mainstream cigar smoker. Quite a recognition if you ask me. I have purchased a 5-pack of both Viaje Oro Reserva VOR No5 and Viaje Platino Reserva VPR No6 before the announcement has been made. Both have been resting in my humidor since late 2010.

Visually, Viaje Oro Reserva VOR No5 was looking 'delicious and nutritious.' Gorgeous, oily, dark Nicaraguan Corojo 99 wrapper was covering this 5.5″ chocolate bar. Although there were some noticeable seams and one major vein, the cigar was finished with a perfectly applied cap. Thankfully, Viaje Oro Reserva VOR No5 was sporting two, pleasing to the eye, bands, not the '3-headed' monster we saw with Viaje Platino Reserva DT. Oro and Platino lines can be identified by gold and silver band finish, respectively. In the flavor department, this cigar, for me personally, screamed with dark and heavy flavors. I was able to extract dark chocolate and leather. There was also a sufficient amount of spice that complemented present sweetness. Quite a departure from Viaje Platino Reserva DT spice bomb. The draw was simply perfect. Burn and construction, top notch as well. Ash, as you can appreciate in below photographs, could not have been any better.

In the end, I was very pleased with Viaje Oro Reserva VOR No5′s performance. Although the cigar wasn’t super complex, I definitely appreciated flavors that were present and the overall experience. One will ask “Is it truly a No2 cigar of the year 2010 ?” I’m struggling with this question since cigar reviewing and rating is extremely subjective. I can think of other cigars that I have smoked in 2010 that were as equally good or even better but that is my personal observation. If you can find Viaje Oro Reserva VOR No5, I recommend that you give them a try. You should not be dissapointed.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Viaje Oro Reserva VOR No5

Great review of a great stick.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
RCS44
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ryne
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
RCS44 is on a distinguished road

Great informative review on this ciagr!!!
RCS44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review...