Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 04-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #441
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3 II

My partner and some friends use Enzer belts and swear by it. I personally don't like to use belts or straps unless I really have to. But after today's deadlift session, I think I'll invest in an Enzer.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #442
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR1205 View Post
Not anywhere around the east coast from my understanding
I'm sorry, that's not living lol
Old 04-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #443
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
My partner and some friends use Enzer belts and swear by it. I personally don't like to use belts or straps unless I really have to.
Imagine someone who doesn't know us and didn't read the title reading this post first. Yeah.

Sound like a great couple days, Huy, keep it up. Mu first of 3 days of work training today, though it was very physical and I am gonna be sore....Still not the same as the gym though.

Glad your bug was short-lived too, Rob, and hope you are done with it.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #444
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera

Hahaha freaking, Tom!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #445
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Imagine someone who doesn't know us and didn't read the title reading this post first
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #446
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera

Chest/shoulder day.

Flat bench (pause,push): 5x5 (1 drop set)
Incline hammer strength machine: 4x6-8
Flat DB flies: 4x8

Db front raises --- BB side delt raises: 4x8
Seated machine side delts --- upright row: 4x8
Cable shoulder presses (one arm at a time): 4x10
Old 04-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #447
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Flat bench (pause,push): 5x5
Hey Huy, do you bring the bar all the way down to your chest, or do you go to parallel? I've always wondered what is better in terms of safety/best workout, but I keep finding articles defending both methods
Old 04-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #448
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera

I always let the bar come down to my chest. I learned a couple good techniques from a friend of mine. I could see the arguments for both cases, but for me personally, I let the bar touch my chest before pushing.

What has been working for you?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #449
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

Quote:
I always let the bar come down to my chest. I learned a couple good techniques from a friend of mine. I could see the arguments for both cases, but for me personally, I let the bar touch my chest before pushing.

What has been working for you?
In the spirit of not "cheating" or "half repping" as some would say, I've been bringing it down to my chest. My weight on the bar has gone down slightly, but my overall chest strength has been increasing, as evidenced by my other chest exercises. The only thing I've been very cautious of is resisting the urge to bounce it off my chest on a heavy lift.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #450
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera

Quote:
In the spirit of not "cheating" or "half repping" as some would say, I've been bringing it down to my chest. My weight on the bar has gone down slightly, but my overall chest strength has been increasing, as evidenced by my other chest exercises. The only thing I've been very cautious of is resisting the urge to bounce it off my chest on a heavy lift.
There you go. If you are seeing results, then why do something else? As far as bouncing it off my chest, no. I do not let it bounce off my chest, it rests on my chest for a quick second.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #451
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera

In all honesty, if you find something that works for you when you bench, stick with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it but safety is the number one priority. I find that bringing the barbell down to my chest works best for me, so I stick with it. I know some may not be able to because of shoulder issues.

So when I set up for pressing, I basically dig my shoulder blades so that my upper back is tight. Reason for that is, it helps me control the bar more and helps keep my shoulders healthy. I lower it to the base of my sternum, not the top of my chest. Because, the higher it is on my chest, it'll be harder on my shoulders.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #452
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera

I can't edit but the reason for me telling you my approach to the bar is because it does make it easier for me to lower the bar all the way down to my chest rather than a couple inches from my chest.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #453
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

Quote:
There you go. If you are seeing results, then why do something else? As far as bouncing it off my chest, no. I do not let it bounce off my chest, it rests on my chest for a quick second.
Thanks Huy! I was more worried about the prospect of injury, such as a rotator cuff or shoulder tear in the long run. It was only recently that I started going all the way down, about a month and a half. Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #454
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera

Speaking of safety... slightly tweaked the back today doing effing squats. I should have listened to my body. Woke up with a sore back/core from dead lifting already but said eff it, gonna squat today. Also, I haven't back squat in a month or so, I normally do front squats.

Squats: 4x5 and on that last set, I tweaked the back.
Seated leg extensions -- single leg presses: 4x8-10
Smith machine lunges: 4x6-8
lying leg curls -- standing single leg curls: 5x8-10

Some anti-inflammatory and rest. Back at it tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #455
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Feel better, Huy.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #456
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

Had myself a great push day yesterday, although my wrist has been acting up from throws in karate. Typical push day: Pushdowns, shoulder press, Flyes, etc.

I am am however, adding long chains to the ends of the barbell for bench press so when I lower the bar, I have to explode with my chest in order to raise the bar back up. Went down a lot of weight (chains are 20 pounds each), and felt much more of a pump than with standard bench press. The chains also swing slightly, which makes my stabilizer muscles work as if I was working with dumbbells. Going to see if this helps my overall chest strength.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #457
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera

With a tweaked back, I still managed to get in yesterday and today. Just being careful on which exercise I pick and the weights.

Back and chest yesterday. Mainly for hypertrophy, fairly lighter and higher reps.

Arms/abs today. Felt real nice, haven't given arms a day for themselves on a long time.

Have a good weekend fellas
Old 04-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #458
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

First Name: Ron
Trading: (22)
NeuRon will become famous soon enoughNeuRon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Had myself a great push day yesterday, although my wrist has been acting up from throws in karate. Typical push day: Pushdowns, shoulder press, Flyes, etc.

I am am however, adding long chains to the ends of the barbell for bench press so when I lower the bar, I have to explode with my chest in order to raise the bar back up. Went down a lot of weight (chains are 20 pounds each), and felt much more of a pump than with standard bench press. The chains also swing slightly, which makes my stabilizer muscles work as if I was working with dumbbells. Going to see if this helps my overall chest strength.
chains.. ol school! we need to work out soon Rob..

here is my 25lb bulk up, so far.. only have been working out for like 3-4 months now, eating 3300 clean cals a day, meal preping like a mutha!

i feel so much happier and well rounded

NeuRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #459
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

Damn Ron! Lookin really good! Bulking up very nicely! Where's your gym?

Last edited by RobR1205; 04-07-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #460
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

Heavy leg day for me yesterday! Consisted of deep back squats, and a$$ to the grass front squats, and various ab exercises. Gonna lift back and biceps today!