Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 04-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
dubnick

Default Boxing Talk

Any other fans of the "Sweet Science?"

Lot of decent match-ups upcoming and just seeing if there were any other fans?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Boxing Talk

Yup, Lane, there are a few of us. If you scroll through the Sports forum there have been threads on some of the bigger fights over the last few years. I have been a fan since I was a kid, and still love boxing despite its decline to the general public.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
dubnick

I've poked around in the Sports forum and figured I'd start one up to discuss the sport in general and see what kind of responses I got.

I've also been a fan my whole life. I was raised hearing the stories of my distant cousin Kingfish fighting Joe Louis and Jack Dempsey. He never won, but he still got in the Ring.

Also, Being from Philly, there is the option of going to fights just about weekly. Also a nice scene to keep up with.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

They still have that venue in Philly that's like a mini-Thunderdome, with the balcony hanging right over the ring?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
dubnick

That may have been the Blue Horizon... which I believe is shut down. I've seen fights recently at the Asylum Arena. (Previously the home of ECW Wrestling). The first installment of NBCSports Fight Night was hosted there. Was a great to be at.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Blue Horizon, that was it. I would have loved to have seen some fights there. ESPN had it on Friday Night Fights quite often and it looked like a great old-time venue.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
dubnick

From the way it's talked about... It's the greatest venue that the City has ever seen. So much history in that building. I unfortunately never had the luxury of seeing a fight there.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...nhancing-drugs

I call "bullshit". Big Mouth is scared.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
Pseudosacred
What will your verse be?

First Name: Nick
Trading: (1)
Pseudosacred is on a distinguished road

He's been accusing him of using PED's since last year. He's a big mouthed punk.

Cotto is going to put him down on Saturday and when Manny gets to him...I can only imagine how badly that'll end...
Pseudosacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
dubnick

I agree Tom... "Money" is scared of Pac Man... But I believe it goes the other way as well. I feel that both fighters feel they are the best in the world, and are scared that a loss to the other one would destroy that.

As far as Saturday... I'm pulling for Cotto... But at +450 I don't think Vegas agrees with me. I'm also looking forward to the Alverez vs. Mosely fight.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Lane, I agree with that a loss to either, by either, would be considered a stain. Big Mouth feels he has too much to lose because he is undefeated, but I will always remember his for ducking Manny, not being undefeated.

Nick, while I will be rooting heavily for Cotto, I will be suprised if he wins. Pleasantly suprised, though.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
Pseudosacred
What will your verse be?

First Name: Nick
Trading: (1)
Pseudosacred is on a distinguished road

I've been a big Cotto fan ever since I first saw him at Boardwalk Hall...like 3 years ago. The first time I saw him he won the WBA welterweight over Quintana. I just kind of had this feeling about him...that he would just become a power house. His right hand made Quintana quiver, even when it hit his glove. That's pretty uncommon in Welterweights.

I hate that he's been called a has-been, although it's a little bit true. His fight against Margarito, he dominated and that was a great thing to watch. He came back in with power and ring savvy...not really stamina, but that's alright.

I hate Mayweather. There is nothing good about an undefeated fighter (Anderson Silva (MMA) is a cocky m'effer and I resent that.) Floyd has a big mouth, but he can back it up, I just hope it's Cotto that beats him. That would be a glorious thing. I have almost no doubt that, if Cotto doesn't, Pac will. Pac is the best boxer in the world, in my opinion. Mayweather will pay for his verbal harrassment towards him when they fight...I'd almost guaruntee that.
Pseudosacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudosacred View Post
Floyd has a big mouth, but he can back it up,
While I understand the statement because he is undefeated, until he fights Manny, I question it.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: john
Trading: (0)
racerX is on a distinguished road

I'm going out Saturday night so I can't watch it live
Anybody seen a trend as far as replays go?
Sometimes HBO will play it again the following Saturday night but they never announce it before hand because they want the pay per view.
Wouldn't be surprised if the Mosley fight was better than the fight with bigmouth.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
dubnick

No idea on the replay... And I think Alverez will destroy Mosley... And then possibly move on to fight Cotto. That would be a good one IMHO.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Another big boxing fan here

Pulling for Money Mayweather on Saturday to stay undefeated. He needs to fight Manny Pacquiao, his legacy will be tarnished if he does not. Manny looked very beatable the last fight he was in. I don't think the timing will work out though for them to fight this year.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Man, Friday Night Fights on ESPN!
Loved that show!
I think the best thirty rounds I've ever seen in were the three fights between Irish Mickey Ward and Thunder Gatti! (rest in peace) Good lord those guys put it all out there!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #18
dubnick

Lately the FNF Bouts have been one sided and weak IMHO. Every so often there's a good one. ShoBox on Showtime has been putting out some solid prospect fights.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #19
dubnick

Khan vs Peterson II canceled due to Peterson testing positive for a banned substance. I was really looking forward to this one.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #20
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Bad day for boxing.

Paul Williams, a former middleweight champ, was paralyzed from the waist down after being in a motorcycle crash. Just last week Williams had signed for a major fight. He was due to challenge junior middleweight titlist Saul "Canelo" Alvarez on Sept. 17 in the main event of a pay-per-view card at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Williams, who was wearing his helmet, rode out of his lane to avoid a car that was moving into his lane, but that another car was coming toward him in the other direction. Peterson said Williams swerved to avoid the oncoming car, wound up riding up a steep embankment and lost control of the motorcycle before flying several feet in the air and landing on his back on the road.

Williams, 30, is scheduled to have surgery Wednesday to stabilize the portion of his spinal chord that is intact and allows him to move his hands, arms, torso and head.

"The other part of his spinal chord is damaged and has eliminated his lower body movement," his manager said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second sad story, Johnny Tapia, the five-time boxing champion whose turbulent career was marked by cocaine addiction, alcohol, depression and run-ins with the law, was found dead Sunday at his Albuquerque home. He was 45. The death didn't appear to be suspicious.