Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 08-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough
Default Game of Thrones

Anyone else as simultaneously excited and worried about this? The books are incredible, very dark, bloody as hell and I just can't seem to put them down. I just hope they will at least try to do the first book justice.

http://www.hbo.com/#/game-of-thrones
Old 09-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
JackSchwartz
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
JackSchwartz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
Anyone else as simultaneously excited and worried about this? The books are incredible, very dark, bloody as hell and I just can't seem to put them down. I just hope they will at least try to do the first book justice.

http://www.hbo.com/#/game-of-thrones
Man, I hope they get the show right. I picked up the first book in the series when I heard about the tv show. I blasted through all the books in the series, can't wait till the new book comes out.

I love that they finally have some videos available now. Looks good so far. My wife and I cancelled HBO last year but might have to pick it back up again in 2011.

Eric
JackSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I've started the first book, but never finished it. Looks like I won't be able to see it if it's only on HBO...
Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
earnold25
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (8)
Bolivar
earnold25 is on a distinguished road

i just wish he'd write the books faster. i've been waiting for the next one (A Dance with Dragons) for like 5 years now. ugh.

anyway, my thoughts on the show are positive. I've never really disliked the quality of an HBO show, so I think it will be good.
earnold25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
BluesGuy

5 Years between books....that's reason enough not to start reading them.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
JackSchwartz
Still Watching My Back

JackSchwartz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I've started the first book, but never finished it. Looks like I won't be able to see it if it's only on HBO...
The first book drags a little in the beginning, mostly because he seems to be setting everything up for the rest of the series. If you can get half way through the first book the last half is outstanding and will make you want to keep reading.

My wife is really enjoying not paying for HBO now (more shoes for her) so I know it's going to be tough to get her to sign up again. I'm going to have to pick my battles here. I've been debating whether to pick up the NHL package or wait and see if I can get her to subscribe to HBO again.
JackSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I also started the first book and lost interest about half way through.
Might pick it up again, we'll see.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

It got interesting for a little while, but once school started I couldn't read anymore and lost interest.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
foomanto
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
foomanto is on a distinguished road

the whole series is awesome. i could not put the books down once i started reading them. its been waaaaaay to long seance the last book. hope the show can live up.
foomanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:17 AM   #10
blugill
Feeling at Home

blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

From the behind the scenes stuff on You Tube from HBO it looks like the series will be dead on. There are even interviews with George R.R. Martin talking about everything.
The lines are spot on from what you catch of them at times.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #11
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Like many of the Sci Fi series, I lost interest waiting for the next book to come out. This is one of several series that I started and no longer remember which books I have and haven't read. The books were good and I want to get back to the series at some point in future. Now where is that last WoT book?
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Hopefully he will get this next book done, and it will be the end. I hate when they go on and on and keep adding books. Wheel of Time just got terrible so much so that it ruined the first four books(that were actually good)
Old 04-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSchwartz View Post
The first book drags a little in the beginning, mostly because he seems to be setting everything up for the rest of the series. If you can get half way through the first book the last half is outstanding and will make you want to keep reading.

My wife is really enjoying not paying for HBO now (more shoes for her) so I know it's going to be tough to get her to sign up again. I'm going to have to pick my battles here. I've been debating whether to pick up the NHL package or wait and see if I can get her to subscribe to HBO again.
Patience and Netflix go a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
Like many of the Sci Fi series, I lost interest waiting for the next book to come out. This is one of several series that I started and no longer remember which books I have and haven't read. The books were good and I want to get back to the series at some point in future. Now where is that last WoT book?
Yeah, I gave up on reading any series books. Had it happen too many times where the last book never comes out and you're just left hanging.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #14
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
Hopefully he will get this next book done, and it will be the end. I hate when they go on and on and keep adding books. Wheel of Time just got terrible so much so that it ruined the first four books(that were actually good)
There are two more planned after this next one coming out. This next one will only focus on the Northern characters, as Feast for Crows focused on the Southern characters, however it sounds like the characters across the sea will be in both. All I'm hoping for is that he doesn't take 5 years to release the next book like he did the previous two...

As far as the series, I'm really excited for it and only minimally worried (as much as anybody should be for a book to tv or movie transfer).

With each preview however I'm more and more satisfied that HBO will do this series right. I just finished the fourth book Friday and I'm VERY much so looking forward to see this.

Also can't wait for July 12th and the next book
Old 04-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #15
DTM
Get to the Chopper!

First Name: Derek
DTM is on a distinguished road

I just picked up the first four books. Hoping to be through the first before the show starts.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #16
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

You've got four days Sit down with a good cigar and get to readin'! That's how I read most of the series lol
Old 04-15-2011, 01:38 AM   #17
spizz
Still Watching My Back

spizz is on a distinguished road

Don't know if I will like it as the preview didn't really capture my imagination. Will watch the first ep to see if its any good.
spizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #18
Humpdebump
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chris
Trading: (1)
Humpdebump is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spizz View Post
Don't know if I will like it as the preview didn't really capture my imagination. Will watch the first ep to see if its any good.
I have never read the books. I just saw the preview because I have free HBO for weekend. I thought it looked pretty good, might even have to order the channel because of that and other shows. We'll see, definetly going to watch Sunday.
Humpdebump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #19
BFallehy
Feeling at Home

Trading: (12)
RA
BFallehy will become famous soon enough

I love the books. I was a little worried about this aswell because whenever I read a book then see a movie or show based on it I am usualy let down.

But I have watched the making of videos that have been made and the fact that the writer is pretty involved I have high hopes. I can't wait for this to start.
BFallehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #20
blugill
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
You've got four days Sit down with a good cigar and get to readin'! That's how I read most of the series lol
Good luck! It's like 800 pages! A tall order for four days!