Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
wavescrashing
Unofficial CA Boli Ho

First Name: Mike
Trading: (19)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
wavescrashing has disabled reputation
Default Cerdan Chamberlain

Cerdan Chamberlain
Size/shape: Toro
Wrapper: Connecticut
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican, long filler
MSRP: $1.60
Length: 6
Ring Gauge: 48
Manufactured: handmade
Strength: medium bodied

You can read the story on the history of the cigar here

This cigar had a decent cap with small light veins and a smooth wrapper with light oil. Good overall construction.

Pre-light, the draw was good with a hint of slightly sweet tobacco. The aroma was that of a light tobacco.

After lighting, the draw was great, producing a nice amount of smoke. The flavor was dominantly sweet with nuttiness and a creamy aftertaste.

During the first third, it was still drawing very well and was burning very evenly with a solid light gray ash that held for nearly an inch and a half. The flavor was still very smooth and mild with the similar sweet and nutty tastes as after lighting.

Halfway, the sweetness was more identifiable as a cinnamon flavor and a creamy taste replaced the nuttiness. The burn was still flawlessly even with the perfect draw. Not very complex so far, but it has a smooth balance.

Last third, the sweet cinnamon died down a bit, the nuttiness still hadn't popped back up, and there were a few puffs that gave off an earthy flavor with a hint of bitterness. The burn stayed perfect throughout. The construction was also spot-on until the end when the head started to unravel and burn hot.

Overall, this a very smooth and balanced stick. There are two flavors that really stand out more than anything, so I wouldn't tag it as a complex cigar, but my goodness, for the price, it's definitely worth trying. Even for a few dollars more, it'd still be a good deal. If you're a mild-medium bodied guy, this is a go to stick for you. I'm considering a box myself even though I'm a full bodied kind of guy. Another thing....when was the last time you had a 26 year old cigar (and for that price)?

wavescrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cerdan Chamberlain

thanks for the review... im buying a box!
Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
wavescrashing
Unofficial CA Boli Ho

First Name: Mike
Trading: (19)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
wavescrashing has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
thanks for the review... im buying a box!
Well worth it and it won't set you back. Let me know what you think of them once you try it.
wavescrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Great review -- you hit it dead on.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Hippi3Slay3r
ಥ_ಥ

First Name: Kyle
Trading: (22)
Bolivar
Hippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enoughHippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enough

Great review!!! I was just gifted one of these by 14holestogie at a recent get together. I liked it a lot but sadly after smokeing it I went to order a box from their site and it looks to be shut down Last I saw they were $60 a box ....let the hunt begin I plan to track these down not only because it was a decent smoke but because I was born in '82 and ive allways wanted a Bday smoke for "Special Occasions"
Old 11-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

First Name: Justin
Trading: (8)
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road

I might have to pick up a box of these to try. Weren't they $40 a box at one point on the website and the guy raised the price when people began ordering them from him.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah...finally a review on these. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdoty View Post
I might have to pick up a box of these to try. Weren't they $40 a box at one point on the website and the guy raised the price when people began ordering them from him.
That's what they they were saying. Apparently if you buy 3 boxes the price is still the same? Just what I heard.

Great review I might have to get some of these.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
That's what they they were saying. Apparently if you buy 3 boxes the price is still the same? Just what I heard.

Great review I might have to get some of these.
IIRC it was buy two boxes at $40/box, get a third box free.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Something Jonathan Drew posted about these cigars on another site:

---BEGIN

I knew this day would come - the Cerdan Cigar. So here's the basic story, with a bunchnof missing parts and possible mistakes.

Seņor Cerdan is a European, I believe Spanish man who has been behind some brands including Griffin, but always related to the Davidoff factory in the DR. To the best of my memory, he sold Griffins to Davidoff, but continued with his own brand, mostly in Europe.

During the boom, the distributor for mr cerdan was two brothers, Jorge and ? And the cigars were absolutely wonderful. They were very similar to the Davidiff White Label, of course mild, but classy smokes. They were also priced in the Davidoff range. During the boom, when mild was "cool", these cigars were excellent. They would be very elegant smokes at this point.

If the cigars are the old ones, you are absolutely steeling them and should consider them as though they were Davidoffs. Nothing wrong with a box or two of ten year old Davidoff, back before the San Vincente craze.

Best,
JD

---END

I was gifted a bag of these from a brother on another board, and after smoking a couple of them, I tend to agree with Waves and Jon Drew, I thought they were kind of Davidoff-ish, were decent cigars, but way too mild for me though so I ended up sending most of the remaining cigars to Hugh for the troops.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote