Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Opus X Power Ranger

This original review was written after I bought two of these and had smoked one, it was originally posted somewhere else. The original review was written on March 22, 2008. I know that I had bought the cigars at least 3 months before smoking the first.

Well, I smoked the other on Friday evening up at deer camp. So, I thought I'd post the original review, and add highlights to it bolded in red.

Hope you enjoy.

Fuente Fuente Opus X Belicoso XXX Power Ranger??? (at least that is what I think it is)

A short belicoso, about 4.5X50, a red band around the foot. It is in the wrong box at the B&M. Got it for $17.00. Pulled the trigger on it because the rest of the gorillas here have been talking up Opus Xs.

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: This had a gorgeous, reddish brown (used to be called a Colorado Maduro??) wrapper. Veins were minimal and a light sheen of oil glistened beckoningly (is that a real word - or have I just adverb-ized a word - do I get credit for i?) OK, I think you get the idea that it looks great. Yes, this one was also a great looking stick, very consistent with my first review. I must say, the bands on Opus are exquisite.
Score for aesthetics: 4.9

2) Pre-light Construction: This is a dense and tightly rolled stick. I nose both the length and the foot of this cigar - it is enticing with spice predominant along the length and robust tobacco smell at the food (sorry, that’s a real description) Nothing new to add here. This one also gave off the spice and smelled enticing.
Score for Pre-light construction: 4.7

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: I didn’t have a problem with the draw, that was easy. No soft spots. It remained nice and cool. The ash was flaky white and held for a good inch to inch & a half. But... This bad boy couldn’t burn straight to save it’s soul. I even set it down and let it go out to try and restart it. It only evened out the last inch and a half. Way too late to make me happy. This version didn't even out for the last inch. It could not keep a straight burn. The ash on this however had no flakiness and held tenaciously for a good 2 inches.
Score for post-light construction: 2.2 2.1

4) Flavor and strength: I must say, I did like it. It wasn’t a powerhouse that knocked me over, but there was a nice spice that came through the entire length, sometime stronger, sometimes weaker, but never gone. There was a complexity that was wonderful - earthiness, sweet, rich, and very tasty. The flavors were wonderful; spicy, slightly sweet, with an earthly complexity that was truly enjoyable. There was a flavor here that I couldn't put my finger on, intriguing and immensely enjoyable.
Score for flavor and strength: 4.5 4.8

5) Aftertaste/Finish: Score for aftertaste: This finished with spice and cinnamon, pleasantly lingering for a few moments. I didn't find the cinnamon this time, but the finish lingered for a bit.
Score for aftertaste/finish: 4.3

6) Aroma: This one had a fairly nice aroma, I enjoyed the side-slip smoke. It was med-bodied, again that spiciness lingering there. To me, one of my favorite aspects of a smoke is the aroma. This was great, with spice and something else, that flavor/aroma I couldn't identify. Again, I enjoyed the complexity.
Score for aroma: 4.5

7) General Comments: Well, this wasn’t bad, not bad at all. I must say that I really like the flavors and it is pretty to look at, that part almost lives up to the hype. The band itself is a work of art. But.. do I really consider the price worth the smoke? Considering I’ve had two in my lifetime and both of them burned so unevenly bothers me. I should be able to just sit back and enjoy a stick in this price range. But, those are the musings. The flavors and aesthetics are definitely there. Maybe I’m just a tightwad... If they were near $10 a stick, I think I’d be less reluctant. Not that this isn’t a great smoke, but whether it is worth it to me is a different question.

I'd say this pretty much sums up my feelings again. I don't like wrestling with the burn on a cigar, call me lazy that way, but I shouldn't have to grab my torch every 3/4 inch to even out a burn that has gone incredibly erratic. And no, humidity had nothing to do with it, for this has been in my humidor for over two years at about 62-64%. I really enjoyed the flavors, but I didn't think that from my note, there was much difference between this one and the previous one. Did the aging make a difference in taste? I don't believe so, not at least to make a significant difference.
Overall score for the cigar: 4.3

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
retro_cigar

Default Re: Opus X Power Ranger

Great insider view; smoked two yesterday; love these buggers'; I still enjoy them a little wet; just that soft chewy characteristic . They have some power to them. Burn; depends; are hit or miss; but never to crazy an always correct itself.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

What a great review! I liked the comparisons to the original review.

Thanks for sharing!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Great review, I REALLY like the format.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Knip23
Keep It Simple

First Name: Destrey
Trading: (10)
HUpmann Army (Active)
Knip23 is on a distinguished road

Great Review! I like how you did it off the original review.

Knip.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Great review Todd...thanks for sharing.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Its ok Todd, you can give them all to me!!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Great review. I've never seen anyone do one like this, was a really neat idea.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Great review, I REALLY like the format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeobx View Post
Great review. I've never seen anyone do one like this, was a really neat idea.
Actually, the review format is the original style used by reviewers for SMOKE magazine. I like the format, it tells us more than some others.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
What a great review! I liked the comparisons to the original review.

Thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knip23 View Post
Great Review! I like how you did it off the original review.
Thanks! I thought it would be good to go back and do a comparison to what I had written before. Glad someone else found it useful.

Peace of the Lord be with you.