Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Noob Contest blind review

As some of you may have noticed I had a "Noob name where my avatar came from contest". Well the winners (which was everyone that responded with a correct answer), was given 1 blind stick and they will post the review here.

Let the fun begin
Old 09-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Poronico will become famous soon enoughPoronico will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Noob Contest blind review

My cold is about subsided, going to give it a few days after I feel that I have my full sense of taste back and give it a go
Old 09-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Trading: (30)
MrOneEyedBoh will become famous soon enough

Same with me I caught this sinus infection. Not sure if it is from me starting to smoke cigars, or maybe its a coincidence. I'm on day two of the sickness, so should only be for another few days. I'm going to get some meds from the doc today.

Can we get maybe some clues on what the mystery stick is?
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Clues?

How much does that tell you?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
Same with me I caught this sinus infection. Not sure if it is from me starting to smoke cigars, or maybe its a coincidence. I'm on day two of the sickness, so should only be for another few days. I'm going to get some meds from the doc today.

I doubt its a coincidence, I have been talking to people all over the continental US and people are coming down with this pretty wicked bug all over the place. I have been getting better, then one day I will feel worse and then get better again. This is the first night I have been able to sleep all the way through without coughing myself awake so I think that's a good sign. Hope you feel better brother
Old 09-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Clues?

How much does that tell you?
Pepin Blue?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poronico View Post
I doubt its a coincidence, I have been talking to people all over the continental US and people are coming down with this pretty wicked bug all over the place. I have been getting better, then one day I will feel worse and then get better again. This is the first night I have been able to sleep all the way through without coughing myself awake so I think that's a good sign. Hope you feel better brother

Thanks man. My Girlfriend just now started with it deff my fault. Ohwell haha. Give some and take some. ANyways, I today too started to cough and that means its packing its bags and its outta here.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:

Then it wouldn't be a blind review then, would it? haha
Old 09-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #9
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

Bolivar

Quote:
Thanks man. My Girlfriend just now started with it deff my fault. Ohwell haha. Give some and take some. ANyways, I today too started to cough and that means its packing its bags and its outta here.

Make sure when taking mucinex to increase your water intake by well a **** ton... try to drink over 2 gallons a day if you can swing it. The water will thin the mucus and you can expectorate it that much quicker with the guaifenacin aka the active ingredient in mucinex.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:20 AM   #10
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Then it wouldn't be a blind review then, would it? haha
A very wise man.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #11
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

Bolivar

Blind Cigar

Impression;

Construction is a little iffy on this one, there are a few blemishes on the wrapper that could prove to be trouble, even though the major flaw was due to the band being removed prematurely. It is a very dark oily slightly vein y box press cigar.

Pre-Lite;
Initial pre-lite smell is quite rich with leather and chocolate, and slightly sweet on the lips. Test draw is slightly tight but shouldnt affect the enjoyability of the cigar.

1st third;
Slightly peppery on the start with under notes of cedar and something I cant quite put my thumb on. Smoke is thin and tough to come by, but the ash is tight and with little flaking. The burn is quite uneven, easy enough to touch up. About ½" into the smoke the flavors remained the same but mellowed out quite a bit. It reminds me alot of a CAO MX2.

2nd third;

The draw is getting better and the burn evened out, but the smoke is still hard to come by. Peppery leather and cedar are still constant with hints of cocoa. The unidentified flavor from before is almost nutty but not quite. Strength toned down to what I would consider a medium-full smoke.

Final 3rd;
The blemish on the bottom 3rd of the smoke is now beginning to be an issue... Draw is flawless now and smoke is plentiful, but the wrapper is burning itself off the binder. It has moved to a more fuller body with a great deal of pepper and tobacco flavors. The wrapper burst into flames during a slight correction of the burn and I was forced to put it to sleep.

Conclusion;
From my experience I would give this a 7.5 due to construction issues and draw problems. The flavors were complex, full, and complimented each other quite well. This was right up my alley for a fuller body smoke. I would definitely revisit this cigar.

Thank you very much Christos for the opportunity to participate in your contest even though I overestimated my post whorishness, and to show my input with this blind review.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #12
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

Bolivar

Couple more images that wouldn't fit in the post.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:33 AM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Jesse!!
Old 09-27-2009, 06:13 AM   #14
coastietech

I think I know what it is, just by looking at it!!! The review pretty much confirmed it!
Old 09-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #15
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastietech View Post
I think I know what it is, just by looking at it!!! The review pretty much confirmed it!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #16
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastietech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
If it's what I'm thinking it is, I've never had one that had the wrapper crack and come apart.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #17
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo

Great review I definitely like the camera work too... Sorry about the wrapper, I would imagine it is due to me taking off the bands.

2 more reviews before we reveal the mystery stick
Old 09-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #18
adampc22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poronico View Post
Blind Cigar

Impression;

Construction is a little iffy on this one, there are a few blemishes on the wrapper that could prove to be trouble, even though the major flaw was due to the band being removed prematurely. It is a very dark oily slightly vein y box press cigar.

Pre-Lite;
Initial pre-lite smell is quite rich with leather and chocolate, and slightly sweet on the lips. Test draw is slightly tight but shouldnt affect the enjoyability of the cigar.

1st third;
Slightly peppery on the start with under notes of cedar and something I cant quite put my thumb on. Smoke is thin and tough to come by, but the ash is tight and with little flaking. The burn is quite uneven, easy enough to touch up. About ½" into the smoke the flavors remained the same but mellowed out quite a bit. It reminds me alot of a CAO MX2.

2nd third;

The draw is getting better and the burn evened out, but the smoke is still hard to come by. Peppery leather and cedar are still constant with hints of cocoa. The unidentified flavor from before is almost nutty but not quite. Strength toned down to what I would consider a medium-full smoke.

Final 3rd;
The blemish on the bottom 3rd of the smoke is now beginning to be an issue... Draw is flawless now and smoke is plentiful, but the wrapper is burning itself off the binder. It has moved to a more fuller body with a great deal of pepper and tobacco flavors. The wrapper burst into flames during a slight correction of the burn and I was forced to put it to sleep.

Conclusion;
From my experience I would give this a 7.5 due to construction issues and draw problems. The flavors were complex, full, and complimented each other quite well. This was right up my alley for a fuller body smoke. I would definitely revisit this cigar.

Thank you very much Christos for the opportunity to participate in your contest even though I overestimated my post whorishness, and to show my input with this blind review.
is that a girls drink i see in your pic ?
Old 09-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #19
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

Bolivar

Nah mate I don't do reviews with a flavored drink so I drink water with a bit of citrus to cleanse the pallet. LOL it almost sounded like I know what I am doing right there....
Old 09-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #20
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Alright Jesse blew mine out the water haha. Nice walk thru.

Pre-light:
The draw was tight slightly too but VERY nice chocolate flavors and something else...
1st 3rd: I too experienced tight draw. The flavors were something that I couldn't not distinguish. I did not favor the first part. The ash would not hold at all neither.
2nd 3rd: This is where the chocolate flavors come into play too,maybe nutty too? Very nice smoke clean draw and the ash was starting to hold on better here too. I did experience burn issues. My wrapper was cracking a bit but not as bad as Poronico's wrapper.
Last 3rd: Flavors were more prominent and tasted again of something I could not tell. I'm very very new to the cigar world and this was a test IMO. The nicotine was starting to kick in nicely and was smooth all the way to the nub. I did have to relight it twice at the end.

Conclusion: I thought this cigar was nasty at first, but then cleaned up towards the middle and to the nub. As Poronico said I would take another one of these to smoke again. I smoked mine while I smoked some beef on the grill. So no rushing here, about one hour to an hour and a half of smoke on this cigar. I also had some plume on my wrapper which I like to see, again not seeing it much since I'm a new smoker. I'm wondering actually what this cigar is, well what it was haha. Very interesting smoke to say the least.

Thanks Greek for the run on this one, it is going to be one to log in the books.