Old 09-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #21
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: NHL '12 - '13 Thread

ESPN.com said a lockout is "all but certain" at this point. The sides don't have any further negotiations scheduled, and plan to return to the table only if one side has a significant change of position.

At this point, I am just hoping they will be playing by Thanksgiving.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #22
drjammer
I love Hockey!!!

First Name: Don
Trading: (0)
Guantanamera
drjammer has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
ESPN.com said a lockout is "all but certain" at this point. The sides don't have any further negotiations scheduled, and plan to return to the table only if one side has a significant change of position.

At this point, I am just hoping they will be playing by Thanksgiving.
I agree. I always look forward to each season, aside from watching the Broncos, I have lost a lot of interest in the NFL the last 15 or so years
Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #23
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Be sad to see the momentum they have gained "south of the border" the last few years trashed by a prolonged lockout.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #24
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

3rd??? Lockout under Bateman? Last time the players gave up everything, WTF is going on with the guys driving this? $$$ is up, correct? There have not been a lack of big contracts this offseason... I shake my head at this whole thing.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #25
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Millionaires battling Billionaires. The fans are the only losers in this fight.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #26
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Won't they ever learn? This crap sets them back years in the sight of the fans and usually at the turnstiles.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #27
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

This is going to suck. Not looking good.
I agree a 50/50 split seems fair.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #28
ChicagoWhiteSox

The NHL and NHLPA met yesterday again. Looks like the Union basically proposed the same thing it did back in early August. Active CBA ends in 2 days, so things look bad. Really hoping for things to get worked out soon

Old 09-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #29
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

I REALLY think we'll get an abbreviated season at best... Nothing is going to happen until a chunk of games are missed and both sides are losing $$$$$.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #30
ChicagoWhiteSox

There better be a season

Old 09-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #31
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I am hoping for NHL hockey by Thanksgiving.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #32
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I've heard some withing for a total meltdown in the hopes it'll end up with teams being contracted, realignment, and more. I admit my usual excitement for the upcoming season isn't what it use do be thanks to the lame offseason by the Wings.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #33
dvickery
Team of 1

First Name: derrek
Trading: (0)
dvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura about

i am(and always have been)on the side of the players.

50/50 split...players will be lucky(really lucky) to get this after the nba settlement last year.the players and owners remain steadfast with there stance. and just exactly what revenues are they going to share.

this and a salary rollback appear to be the main issue...i know if i was offered a 23% wage cut(for the second time)...i would be willing to walk away from my job...forever.

where is the wha when you need em...time is right for a second pro league.

to me a perfect solution would be a 16 game season followed by the playoffs...regular season is way way too long.players would be happy to play 16 games at 500,000 per game.

doesnt help that the commish looks like the count from sesame street...thats one...one lockout...thats two...two wonderful lockouts...

frustrated fan rambles on
derrek
Old 09-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #34
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Mwa-ah-ah.....

Old 09-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #35
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvickery View Post
i am(and always have been)on the side of the players.

50/50 split...players will be lucky(really lucky) to get this after the nba settlement last year.the players and owners remain steadfast with there stance. and just exactly what revenues are they going to share.

this and a salary rollback appear to be the main issue...i know if i was offered a 23% wage cut(for the second time)...i would be willing to walk away from my job...forever.

where is the wha when you need em...time is right for a second pro league.

to me a perfect solution would be a 16 game season followed by the playoffs...regular season is way way too long.players would be happy to play 16 games at 500,000 per game.

doesnt help that the commish looks like the count from sesame street...thats one...one lockout...thats two...two wonderful lockouts...

frustrated fan rambles on
derrek
Both sides are to blame. The players for their part in shaping the prior CBA. The owners and their GMs for circumventing the intention of the CBA with legalese to give themselves the best competitive edge possible. It'll never change. Laywers write the CBA from both ends, then the same lawyers are used to take advantage of it so that each team has the best fighting chance. End result is unsustainable 17 year $100 million contracts and teams losing money.

Contract the teams that the league owns. That's a start. Then negotiate from there.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #36
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Well Doan will finish his career as a Yote. Four years. Guess he looked around and for the options availble decided to just stay.

Wonder if there will even be a season
Old 09-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #37
Justinphilly

No sport can afford another lockout, but the NHL especially cannot. I've always been a big hockey fan, and I think the past few years have generated a little more interest in the sport. But this would be devastating to that momentum, and it seems the lockout is inevitable. The owners are planning to lock the players out tonight at midnight if a new CBA can't be agreed upon (and its not looking good)

Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #38
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

"If the league (NHL) continues to insist on their (demands), then it will take a full year. That's because we are not going to cave in," Ovechkin said, according to the newspaper. "Then I will spend the entire season in the KHL. It's an absolute reality."

Monday saw no changes from either side, as talks between the league and the NHLPA remain unscheduled.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #39
Will herf for food

VR

If it comes to hardball the owners will win. Many teams are losing money as is, so a lockout means NOT losing money. For the players, they would be making a lot of money. I'm sure after a while that'll catch up to them and put pressure on the union to make concessions.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #40
ChicagoWhiteSox

This is really not good. Why can't they figure it out? Blame falls equally on both parties in my eyes. It will be a big blow to the NHL and the players if this season is not going to happen.

Closed Thread