Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default College Hoops Thread '09-'10

Well, since nobody else seems to want to step up and start this, I guess I shall. Yeah, I know a lot of you don't pay any attention to it until March, but there has to be a few fanatics like me out there. So I'll kick it off by discussing my team, the defending national champion UNC Tar Heels.

The Heels began the unofficial defense of their title last night with a close victory over perennial in-state basketball powerhouse, Belmont Abbey (well, they are close to Davidson, at least geographically). The final was a nail-biting 107-59. Monday they kick it off for real with a Coaches For Cancer game against another big-time program, Florida International, led by their new coach, Hall Of Fame @$$hole Isaiah Thomas.

The Tar Heels are ranked pre-season anywhere from #2 (likely too high) to #7 (which may also be optimistic), depending on the poll, yet no matter what the perception this will prove to be an interesting year for them. Though many seem to concentrate upon their loss of Tyler Hansbrough, the challenge for this team will be in replacing the play outside and not down low. With skilled players such as Ed Davis, Deon Thompson, and Tyler Zeller, as well as the addition of frosh talent in John Henson and the Wear twins, they have one of the better frontcourts in the nation - still. However, the college game is won or lost by guards, and this will be the question. Larry Drew II did not show much last season (to be fair, playing behind Ty Lawson and Bobby Frasor he did not get much chance), yet he does have McDonald All-American tools at his disposal, particularly as a pass-first option. Plus, freshman Dexter Strickland showed the ability to score big at the high-school level (and prep hoops here in Joisey ain't no cakewalk), but no one knows how that transition to the next level will work for him. The perimeter defense should improve this season with the return of Marcus Ginyard, though he is not the offensive threat that Danny Green proved to be - some nights, anyway. All-in-all, it will be a taxing season for Roy Williams down in Chapel Hill. A return to the Final Four is not out of the question, but I would not buy my tickets yet. The Tar Heels may develop into a 30-win team, but are a turned ankle away from a 20-win one.

OK, now it's your turn - tell us about YOUR boys!
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread '09-'10

According to the NY Post, UNC is slightly favored over FIU tonight, with the line at 31 1/2. But who believes the Post?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Last night # 6 UNC took care of Zeke's squad 88-72, in a game that was not as close as the final. The lead was up to 25 about 5 minutes into the 2nd half, and if the young Heels had not had 26 stinkin' TOs they would have chased the Golden Panthers out of the Dean Dome, out of town, and halfway out of state.

In other action, # 13 Cal edged by Murray St. 75-70, #16 Ohio St. spanked Alcorn St. 100-60, and Whinin' Jim Boeheim netted his 800th career win over Albany 75-43. No games scheduled tonight, but tomorrow all those winners save OSU play again, and again against what should be gimmes.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

As with the early-season rankings, there are no meaningful games this time of year. But games of note tonight include:

# 6 UNC vs. N.C. Central
# 13 Cal vs. Detroit
Syracuse vs. Robert Morris

All these games are in the "varsity" gyms.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Scores from the meaningless games last night:

# 6 UNC 89 , N.C. Central 42 = Tar Heels went on a 21-0 run in the first half, turning a 19-17 lead into a 51-20 one at the break.

# 13 Cal 95 , Detroit 61 = Though not the squeaker their first game became, this one was too close for Bear comfort, with the Titans down just 40-36 early in the second half. Note of interest : Detroit has not won a road opener since 1977, against Toledo. Their coach for that victory? The legendary Dick Vitale.

Syracuse 100 , Robert Morris 60 = Andy Rautins scores 22 on 7 of 10 from three, and doubtless is still bragging about it at the top of his lungs.

Games of interest, albeit dubious, tonight:

# 16 Ohio State vs. James Madison

N.C. State vs. Georgia St.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Last night scores:

# 16 Ohio St. 72 , James Madison 44
N.C. State 69 , Georgia St. 52

There are 'way to many games tonight, the first night of full action, plus I've too much work today, so here are the big boys (against the JVs) :

# 1 Kansas vs. Hofstra

# 2 Mich. St. vs. Fla. Gulf Coast

# 4 Kentucky vs. Morehead St.

# 5 Villilnova vs. Fair. Dickinson

# 7 Purdue vs. CSU Northridge

# 9 Duke vs. N.C. Greensboro

# 10 Tennessee vs. Austin Peay

# 12 U.Conn. vs. William & Mary

# 14 Washington vs. Wright St.

# 18 Miss. St. vs. Rider

# 20 Georgetown vs. Tulane

# 23 Illinois vs. SIU Edwardsvillle (who???)

# 24 Clemson vs. Presbyterian

# 25 Minnesota vs. Tenn. Tech.

If I have missed anybody, well, who cares?
Old 11-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

As expected, most of the games noted above turned into blow-outs for the ranked teams, with a few exceptions:

# 4 Kentucky should have dominated Morehead State, yet "only" won 75-59. The 59 allowed is not too bad, but for a Calipari offense to score a mere 75 points against that type of competition should be disturbing to Wildcat fans.

# 12 U. Conn edged William & Mary 75-66. If fans wondered about Calhoun's health before the game, you can imagine how he might feel today.

# 14 Washington had an even closer squeaker against Wright State, escaping with a 74-69 victory. If this is any indication, looks as though the Pac-10 shall again be also-rans.

There was one upset last night however: # 18 Mississippi State raised the banner for their SEC Championship before the game, and that was the final highpoint of their evening as they fell to mighty mighty Rider 88-74. It appears that the SEC's transition to a football conference has taken one more step.

The games of potential national interest this weekend include:

Saturday:

# 11 Butler vs. Davidson
# 14 Washington vs. Belmont
# 15 Michigan vs. Northern Michigan
# 17 Oklahoma vs. Mount St. Mary's
# 21 Dayton vs. Creighton
# 22 Georgia Tech vs. Florida A&M

Sunday:

# 3 Texas vs. UC Irvine
# 6 UNC vs. Valparaiso
# 8 West Virginia vs. Loyola (MD)
# 14 Washington vs. Portland St.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:42 AM   #8
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

Can't wait to see the Horns tomorrow, should be a solid team this year

hopefully they figure out a real point guard
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
Can't wait to see the Horns tomorrow, should be a solid team this year

hopefully they figure out a real point guard
Rick Barnes is a very good recruiter, and always seems to attract enough talent to compete. Yet he has not proven to this point his ability to lead them to the level one might expect. His teams often play an undiciplined style without a properly-executed team philosopy, and their wins are mainly predicated upon superior physical skills rather than better play. Plus he has a tendency to become overly-emotional during the game, which has adversely affected his in-game coaching at times. Will Texas have a Top 10 team this season? I have little doubt. Will they compete for the championship? Not unless Barnes finally grows up. Just my - yet as I've followed his career since he was at Lenoir-Rhyne, I think I know a thing or three about him.

Speaking of Texas, the # 3 team defeated UC-Irvine 89-42 Sunday. It was the expected decisive win, but when you pit a Longhorn against an Anteater, what else would you expect?

All the other ranked teams had their "predetermined" lopsided victories this weekend also, with the exception of:

On Saturday, # 11 Butler fought back against a determined Davidson team and won 73-62 in a game they seemed destined to lose for about 3/4ths of the contest. The same was true for # 21 Dayton, although they held a slim margin for much of the time, and held on to beat Creighton 90-80.

On Sunday, my # 6 UNC Tar Heels again showed their young lack of focus, and blew most of a 24-point 2nd-half lead before finally closing out Valparaiso 88-77, mainly due to 14 turnovers AGAINST A ZONE DEFENSE! Furthermore, remember that the only Drew on the court was Larry, and he played for the home team. Unacceptable , especially when you consider that they will face, in quick succession, Ohio State, Kentucky, Michigan State, and Texas.

Finally, it seems the game to have seen this weekend was the epic struggle of the brainiacs between Harvard and William & Mary, with the Crimson taking a 87-85 victory in 3 OTs. Ohhhhh, baby!
Old 11-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Games tonight of ranked teams :

# 4 Kentucky vs. Miami (OH)
# 5 Villanova vs. Pennsylvania
# 9 Duke vs. Coastal Carolina
# 12 U. Conn. vs. Colgate
# 25 Minnesota vs. Stephen F. Austin

Don't expect any of these games to actually be games, though the 'Nova/Penn matchup is interesting - for those who know the history of Philly ball, anyway.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Well, that Big Five matchup last night was not so interesting, with 'Nova stomping Penn 103-65. The other games were no-contest either, save that U.Conn "edged" Colgate - Colgate, fer kris'sakes! - 77 to 63. OH YEAH, and the UK fans got a bit of a scare too, when lowly Miami (OH) tied the Wildcats at 70-all with 6 seconds left. But then John Wall - you know, that freshman who almost landed Calipari on probation before he'd even earned one cent of that ludicrous contract Kentucky gave to him - well, Wall takes the inbound, blows past his coach before he can even decide on calling a time-out or not, then hits the game-winner with half-a-tick left. Hmmmm, lessee - UK struggles a bit with Morehead State, then dodges a bullet against Miami (OH). You think they're a little nervous in Lexington, brothers?

Another full slate of games today - in fact, # 22 Clemson has already beaten Liberty 79-39. I guess there is a limit to what fundamentalist prayer can accomplish. Other games to follow:

# 1 Kansas vs. Memphis - if the aforementioned Calipari had not gutted this team when he left for bluegrass greener pastures, this could have been a show.

# 2 Michigan State vs. Gonzaga - and if the Zags were as good as they brag they are, this would be the Spartans first defeat.

# 9 Duke vs. UNC . . . . . . . . . . . . Charlotte

# 10 Tenn vs. UNC . . . . . . . . . . . Asheville

# 12 U. Conn vs. Hofstra

# 17 Oklahoma vs. LA Monroe

# 19 Georgetown vs. Temple - back in the day of the two Johns, Thompson and Chaney, this was one hell of a good game, each and every time.

# 20 Louisville vs. Arkansas - don't know why Pitino's starting his season so late, unless he's just been too busy in court to be on court.

# 23 Illinois vs. Northern Illinois

# 25 Maryland vs. Fairfield.

There might be a few actual contests in there, there - so there.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
Mark
Tarheel.

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Mark will become famous soon enough

I've been in the risers for all the UNC games this year so far - the team is looking pretty fantastic! Glad to see this thread! College hoops is what keeps me going through the winter!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I've been in the risers for all the UNC games this year so far - the team is looking pretty fantastic! Glad to see this thread! College hoops is what keeps me going through the winter!
Glad to see you on this thread, Mark. College hoops has been my winter salvation since before you were born, so I know how you feel. As for our Tar Heels, I'm not so confident. Though this season will not plumb the depths of the Matt Doherty fiasco, they face a big challenge replacing their perimeter game from last season. We will see.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
Mark
Tarheel.

Bolivar

I don't think I am going to be able to follow my classmates to Detroit again this year (or Indianapolis, as the case may be), but I think we will hold on till Elite eight. Anyway I can't WAIT until January and the beginning of ACC play - its like Christmas comes twice a year in North Carolina!
Old 11-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #15
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

I just noticed this one - Cal State Fullerton upset UCLA 68-65 in double-OT last night, and in Pauley to boot. The Bruins shot a sickly 31% from the floor, were 5 of 29 from 3-point range, went 8 of 17 from the charity stripe, and were 3 of 17 in both overtimes.

Just one more reason to be glad that John Wooden is still alive - if he were not, he'd be spinning for sure.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #16
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Did I tell you above that Georgetown/Temple used to be fun? Guess it still is, as the Hoyas just eked out a win in what had to be a painful game to watch. The final is 46-45, with both teams shooting like blind men with bent barrels. Hoyas shot .357 overall and .167 from deep, while the Owls managed only .310 and .125. Georgetown won it with a late lay-up, but actually won at the line, besting Temple there by going 13 of 19 as opposed to Owls' 6 of 13. Both teams are historically defensive-minded, but this is just sad - neither is that damn good on D.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #17
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

KU's first real test tonight against a Memphis team that has gone through a lot in the off season. Assuming the youth is overcome by the 12 deep rotation it should be a good year.
Rock Chock Baby!
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
KU's first real test tonight against a Memphis team that has gone through a lot in the off season. Assuming the youth is overcome by the 12 deep rotation it should be a good year.
Rock Chock Baby!
Bill Self is a good coach at one of the best programs in the country, but he and the Jayhawks sure dodged a slug against what should have been an overmatched Memphis team, escaping with a 57-55 squeaker of a win. They may indeed end up with the # 1 team in college ball before the season ends, yet they'd better play better than they did if they want to get there - they for sure ain't there now. And neither is the # 2 Michigan State Spartans, who had to come back to edge Gonzaga 75-71. Had the Zag Bulldogs not gotten their bigs into foul trouble, this would have been a loss for the national runners-up.

Aside from the early games already reported on above, all the other ranked teams blew their foes away, or pretty much so, with the exception of:

# 12 U. Conn 76 - Hofstra 67 = Hofstra is a decent mid-major, but c'mon!

# 17 Oklahoma 72 - LA Monroe 61 = Do you get the feeling that the Sooners are still looking around for Blake Griffin?

There is only one game tonight involving a ranked team, and that is:

# 3 Texas vs. Carolina . . . . . . . . Western
Old 11-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
Mark
Tarheel.

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Bill Self is a good coach at one of the best programs in the country, but he and the Jayhawks sure dodged a slug against what should have been an overmatched Memphis team, escaping with a 57-55 squeaker of a win. They may indeed end up with the # 1 team in college ball before the season ends, yet they'd better play better than they did if they want to get there - they for sure ain't there now. And neither is the # 2 Michigan State Spartans, who had to come back to edge Gonzaga 75-71. Had the Zag Bulldogs not gotten their bigs into foul trouble, this would have been a loss for the national runners-up.

Aside from the early games already reported on above, all the other ranked teams blew their foes away, or pretty much so, with the exception of:

# 12 U. Conn 76 - Hofstra 67 = Hofstra is a decent mid-major, but c'mon!

# 17 Oklahoma 72 - LA Monroe 61 = Do you get the feeling that the Sooners are still looking around for Blake Griffin?

There is only one game tonight involving a ranked team, and that is:

# 3 Texas vs. Carolina . . . . . . . . Western
Watched the Hofstra/UConn game and the Memphis/KU game. Both great games, although I was not expecting that close of a game out of UConn. Come on guys...step it up!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Last night # 3 Texas took care of Western Carolina 73-41, which reminds me of my earlier comment regarding Kentucky - the 41 allowed is fine, but the 73 scored is pretty weak. Also - and I don't know how I missed this - # 11 Butler beat Northwestern 67-54, which is also not a powerful spanking.

Already today, in the Bobby Knight Memorial Chair-Tossing Tipoff in Puerto Rico, # 18 Dayton slipped past # 21 Georgia Tech 63-59, while # 5 Villanova presently trails Cinderella George Mason early. Later we can look forward to:

# 1 Kansas vs. Central Arkansas

# 4 Kentucky vs. Sam Houston State

# 6 UNC vs. # 15 Ohio St. - It's the first real test for both teams, and one will fall in MSG this evening.

# 24 Minnesota vs. Utat Valley - Can anybody tell me, who the hell is Utah Valley?

Enjoy the games, since I won't know if I will until about 11:30, after the UNC/OSU final.