Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough
Default Macanudo Freshness Packs

I was sitting in my living room watching the 2013 Golf Merchandise show on Golf Channel and after wishing I had the ceiling space in my house to justify buying an OptiShot, they go to an anchor standing in front of a wall of cigars!!! I'm thinking, here we go! Then he starts talking about Macanudo Cigars....As if that wasn't bad enough he begins to explain to me that Macanudo has a new process that once their cigars are rolled they place them in this freshness pack. Think a bag of Backwoods Cigars. Looks like that. Apparently Macanudo says this locks in the freshness for 3 years.....right.

I have always wanted to like Macanudo and then they do something like this.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Macanudo Freshness Packs

Is the pouch air tight, or do they just seal it all in with a nice slathering of PG?

Honestly though, anyone who cares how the cigars will taste after three years wont be buying them in a pouch. They all probably have humidors.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Old 01-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Scott any HumiGod knowledge on this???
Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

These have been out for, I believe, at least a year now.

I don't know if these use PG or not nor am I familiar with the process that General Cigar uses for these pouches or what the pouches are made of. I know there is at least one person on this forum who works for General, maybe they can comment on people's concern about these things.

Personally, I think it's a great idea. How often have you seen premium cigars improperly stored at liquor stores, gas stations, golf pro shops, etc? This packaging can eliminate most of that. They are packaged in singles, this is perfect for the occasional smoker, you know, the guy who buys two cigars for the golf course every month, or one to go fishing with, etc. This is how you bring them over to our side, rather than turning them off with a dried out/overly moist/moldy or otherwise unsmokeable premium cigar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Honestly though, anyone who cares how the cigars will taste after three years wont be buying them in a pouch. They all probably have humidors.
So only people with humidors care about how their cigars taste? That's absurd.

Last edited by T.G; 01-29-2013 at 02:26 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
mjdx88 is on a distinguished road

I had an Excalibur that was packed the same way. It tasted fresh. I posted about this a while ago. I figure it would be nice to be able to buy a box of theses and keep a few in my desk at work and other places with out setting up a humi or bringing one with you.
mjdx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Looks like Macanudo wants to break into the blunt wrap market IMHO...

Sad to see a company with mediocre reputation drop the bar this low...
Old 01-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
These have been out for, I believe, at least a year now.

I don't know if these use PG or not nor am I familiar with the process that General Cigar uses for these pouches or what the pouches are made of. I know there is at least one person on this forum who works for General, maybe they can comment on people's concern about these things.

Personally, I think it's a great idea. How often have you seen premium cigars improperly stored at liquor stores, gas stations, golf pro shops, etc? This packaging can eliminate most of that. They are packaged in singles, this is perfect for the occasional smoker, you know, the guy who buys two cigars for the golf course every month, or one to go fishing with, etc. This is how you bring them over to our side, rather than turning them off with a dried out/overly moist/moldy or otherwise unsmokeable premium cigar.
I could not agree more. I love the idea as well, especially for gas stations, almost every gas station around here has a humidor, but doesn't use ANY humidity source... And around here the ambient RH in the air is around 40RH normally, very dry.

The only thing that bugs me is the fact they say they can last "up to" 3 years. So after 3 year they are dry? In my mind this means that there is a known problem with the packaging that could cause it to leak. Isn't a perfectly sealed environment going to lock in the correct RH forever? Maybe not?

Wish someone with knowledge could comment.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
Robulous78

More seriously... I see Adam and Derrick's point... but I think Derrick brings up a good question... are these packs really something NEW or are they just like the packs that white-owl's come in now? Sorry to say that if they are... they too will eventually dry out...
Old 01-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
dubleuhb
Big egos have little ears

First Name: Bill
Trading: (2)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
dubleuhb is on a distinguished road

They have several different brands at one of my locals packaged like this. I think it is a great idea as TG said for newcomers and those just grabbing a smoke or two on the run.
I doubt anyone who buys these is actually going to keep them more than a week anyway.
dubleuhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
Robulous78

Another thought on this... why not just sell the cigars in a tube or a tube with a better seal so the product can be viewed and evaluated before purchase? I have never liked the idea of "mystery buying" anything...
Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubleuhb View Post
I doubt anyone who buys these is actually going to keep them more than a week anyway.
I agree... but they might sit on the shelves for a a couple months with various temperature spikes and humidity changes...
Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
Looks like Macanudo wants to break into the blunt wrap market IMHO...

Sad to see a company with mediocre reputation drop the bar this low...
Yeah, I guess one of the top grossing cigar companies in the world has to worry what you think about their reputation.

As Adam stated, this looks more like an attempt to insure their cigars are better presented to the casual smoker. Macanudo is already one of the top selling brands in the world. By increasing their presence to other retailers it will only help the brand grow.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
Robulous78

Ok... Ok... my slight towards Mancanudo aside... I would have rather seen them take a more traditional approach toward cigar presentation and preservation... A tube or "new and improved" tube or something would have accomplished that... without the tube the cigar is left open to impact damage at the very least...

Yes, I am sure Macanudo will do just fine and cares nothing about what I think of their reputation, they are a top selling brand in the world and I am sure this will expand their market as well...

Personally, I have always been weary of cigars that show up in gas-stations... the people that sell them know nothing about the product, the way it should be cared for, ect... I always shy away from anything I see behind a gas station counter and if I were Macanudo, I would not want my product to be surrounded by all the rest of that cr@p... IMHO...

now take macanudo out of the equation... what would you think if you walked into a gas station and saw a Viaje surrounded by Blunts, White-Owls, Dutch-masters, and the like? might change what you thought Viaje's were.... right?

Last edited by Robulous78; 01-29-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

If I remember reading about these Drew Estate thought about using these for Acids. It's a smart marketing method. Going on vacation? Grab a pack and go.

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
Robulous78

apparently I am the dissenting opinion on this... so I'll let it go... I just disagree with the idea, but then again I'm sure everyone disagrees with something...
Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

They had these at a couple golf courses this year here. Looked like it worked fairly well for that purpose. Also saw fuentes in a similar pack but it was more like a single finger bag with a small boveda in it.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post
They had these at a couple golf courses this year here. Looked like it worked fairly well for that purpose. Also saw fuentes in a similar pack but it was more like a single finger bag with a small boveda in it.
Heh, the Lars Tetens super-exclusive uber special packaging that he learned from a 1700 year old wise man living in a cave at the top of the Himalayas they he, Lars, himself scaled while only wearing a speedo armed only with a plastic spork from KFC, and fought off a hundred mongol warriors, ten elephants, six attack trained lions, and sonic the hedgehog, to reach.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #19
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Heh, the Lars Tetens super-exclusive uber special packaging that he learned from a 1700 year old wise man living in a cave at the top of the Himalayas they he, Lars, himself scaled while only wearing a speedo armed only with a plastic spork from KFC, and fought off a hundred mongol warriors, ten elephants, six attack trained lions, and sonic the hedgehog, to reach.
Say what?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #20
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Say what?

Wait? You mean Lars was full of **** when he told that story?