Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default How has your pallette evolved?

Since I've only been smoking seriously for the past year, I just started realizing this. One of the first cigars I loved was the RP connecticut. Smooth wrapper, mild yet good flavored smoke, even burn, etc. Couldn't get enough of them but then..................I hit the slope hard. I started trying to smoke all blends, wrappers, fillers. I paired many with different drinks (like a sommelier) and after specific meals to really experience all the stogie had to offer and compliment. Anyway, I haven't had a RP connie in about 6-7 months. The other morning, I was putting together firewood racks outside and I figure I'd go with a good morning stick. I had 2 RP's left so I grabbed one.It lit great and burned well, but I could not handle the mild and one dimensional aspect of this stick nor the flavors. The cigar was so boring that I pitched it halfway through and I used to get these things down to the nub.Maybe it was the fact that it aged too long and went past it's prime. Have you had sticks that in the past you loved but didn't like them as your cigar hobby and pallette evolved?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How has your palette evolved?

I have been smoking about 2 years and my cigar preferences have changed quite abit over that time. R.P. was one of the first lines of Cigars I really enjoyed. As time has gone by my cigar preferences have evolved. I rarely pick up an R.P.Not that I don't enjoy them when I do decide to smoke one . They just don't float my boat so to speak as they once did.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How has your pallette evolved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Since I've only been smoking seriously for the past year, I just started realizing this. One of the first cigars I loved was the RP connecticut. Smooth wrapper, mild yet good flavored smoke, even burn, etc. Couldn't get enough of them but then..................I hit the slope hard. I started trying to smoke all blends, wrappers, fillers. I paired many with different drinks (like a sommelier) and after specific meals to really experience all the stogie had to offer and compliment. Anyway, I haven't had a RP connie in about 6-7 months. The other morning, I was putting together firewood racks outside and I figure I'd go with a good morning stick. I had 2 RP's left so I grabbed one.It lit great and burned well, but I could not handle the mild and one dimensional aspect of this stick nor the flavors. The cigar was so boring that I pitched it halfway through and I used to get these things down to the nub.Maybe it was the fact that it aged too long and went past it's prime. Have you had sticks that in the past you loved but didn't like them as your cigar hobby and pallette evolved?
I remember when I smoked nothing but Dominican cigars. Mild and reasonably inexpensive. Then I hit the big times and my palette matured. I enjoy the more medium to full body Honduran or Nicaraguan smokes now. I lean to a maduro over a Connecticut shade and a full over a mild smoke. However, I picked up a box of Cuesta-Rey Centenario that was mild but had some hidden flavors that make it still a favorite smoke of mine.

Never underestimate the potential of a mild full flavored cigar. Their out there and it will surprise you when you are looking for something completely different.

Now that I have been smoking for more than ten years I can only say here's to the best of both worlds to you...
Old 11-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I've been smoking cigars for 2 years now. At first, I only liked Mild Connecticuts like Macanudo & R&J. Now I prefer DPG and My current favorite, Padilla Obsidian!

Greg
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

I've only been smoking cigars for about 6 months now and I noticed that my tastes have changed. I started with mild sticks and have gradually moved into the medium sticks.

Part of that is been due to taking part in PIFs and trades so that I have experienced a lot of new and different brands and strength profiles. I've received a few ISOMs, but have smoked those sparingly, trying to make them last.

I think eveyone's palate will change as they continue to experience new brands and blends.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I have been smoking cigars seriously for about three years, and I have somewhat moved in a circle. I started out smoking medium bodied maduros, and eventually moved torward Conne wrapers. Now I have settled back into medium to full maduros. I still enjoy a Conne in the morning with my coffee, but I usually gravitate torward maduros. I have also discovered the cc's in the past year, and I think that is going to be a whole new evolution.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:05 AM   #7
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Same here, used tolove the mild sticks. Now more of a med-full kick. I loved the Monte Whites and now it's one of my favorite pass along sticks.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Started out with the 'milds' but in a 2 year period, as has lonknocker above, I've grown to love the Hondurans, Nicaraguans, leaning towards Sun Grown and Maduro's more and more.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

I think the trend pretty much goes the same for everyone. Start out mild, and move the way up. Some return to the mild sticks on occasion, myself included.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigey57 View Post

Never underestimate the potential of a mild full flavored cigar. Their out there and it will surprise you when you are looking for something completely different.
Like almost everyone else posting here, I've gravitated toward more muscular smokes. But I also like having different styles at different times of day, and I agree wholeheartedly that mild but full-flavored are a treat to smoke earlier in the day. They're not as easy to find as good full bodied smokes, but Cuesta Ray Centro Fino Sungrown is a nice choice. I'm always looking to find others.

BlackIrish
Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
ahc4353

My palette went to Cuba and fell in love with it's floral beauty.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #12
petewho

Somewhere at the beginning of this year my palette changed for everything - not just cigars. I stopped liking beef jerky almost overnight. It went from one of my favorite snacks ever, to "I am gonna chuck if I eat this!". I started liking less hoppy beers, different foods with more subtle flavors, etc. And at the same time cigars went from OK to amazing.

Since the spring, I went from maduro to peppery and now I'm coming back to medium and even mild-medium sticks as long as they're not one-dimensional.

My palette seems to be constantly changing, and I kinda like that.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #13
hoax

I went from Maduro everything, the darker the better.

Now I firmly like the flavor of floral with little to no spice.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #14
MileHighGolfer

i have only been smoking for about a year now but over that year things sure have changed:

at first, i thought the 5vegas gold and the cuban crafter white label vintage was just amazing (in comparison to the macanudos i was occasionally smoking on the course).. Then > Indian Tabac Ltd Res and the Taboo Conn > amazing!!! HDM sumatras and Trinidad TTT > wow!!! those are strong! cuban crafters red label, punch, R&J kept me moving through...

my first box> A.F. 8-5-8 natural

then i ruined myself with a VSG.. then came the CAO Brazillia, RP Edge, DPG blues, 5 vegas miami, legends dpg blend and RP Vintage 92s

coupled with the CCs that I have been gifted by the fine BOTLs at CFRH, the Hupmann, the juan lopez, the flor de cano, the SLR, the parti short..

as the slope angle increases i just cant look back, im ready to keep on truckin, waiting for the 'thud' but it doesnt seem to come!!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
BC-Axeman

My taste has gone all over the place. I still like a Macanudo sometimes. Mild yet flavorful can fill the need. I was only smoking the strongest I could find for a while. Now I like mid to strong with complex profiles. I still like most cigars as long as their not: fishy, ammonia, bitter-harsh, burnt wet ashtray or "nothing".
Old 11-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #16
OHMatt
Klugs gave me Gurkas

First Name: Matt
Trading: (2)
HdM
OHMatt will become famous soon enough

I don't know if my "palate has evovled" or my tastes have changed.. Every 12-18 months my go to wrapper and "strength" changes:

1992-1998 what I could afford, typically cheap "colorado" and mild
2001-02 Connecticut/Cameroon medium
2003-04 Maduros! medium-full
2004-06 Corojo/Criollo/SG Spicy FULL Baby
2007-08 Connecticut/Ecuador medium

I still smoked the whole spectrum year to year; but I have had a definite sway in what I reach for most often.. Typically other "profies" can't satisfy my palate the way my current favorite does. However the only way I can determine what my palate wants is by occasionally trying something different..

Variety is the spice of life, which is why I am soo often on my soap box about limiting one's rotation to cigars originating from an island the size of Pennsylvania. I definitely *LOVE* those cigars, but having the rest of the world to provide variety is very rewarding to me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
OHMatt is offline   Reply With Quote