Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
BC-Axeman

Default Car question

My car is 14 years old and even though I could keep it running forever the parts are starting to go obsolete. Some things, like the plastic headlights, will not even be available from junkyards. I will keep it going until it really gets hard because of what it takes to replace it.

It has:
300 hp with a very wide power band and plenty of torque
Room for 4 adults
Very responsive performance, even though the programming is stock
Weighs about 4000 lbs, I don't want much lighter
Handles above average but still comfortable
Good trunk space
Very nice interior
Lots of luxury gizmos for a '98, many are standard on a lot of cars now, like coil-over-plugs, wipers turn on headlights, seat memory, etc.
Relatively inexpensive to maintain
Rear wheel drive
18/24 mpg

Is there anything for less than 45K that's not more than 2 years old that would be a good replacement? I like a larger sized car as opposed to something like a Vette or Stang because they don't get tossed around as badly on the road I have to drive every day. It is curvy and rough and uneven.

A BMW 6 series is a pretty good match but expensive, even used. Maybe not so cheap to maintain.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Car question

I would consider an Jaguar XF Supercharged. 400+ HP, plenty of room, reliable, beautiful. Well at least drive one and say you didn't like it, but what's not to like?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Nissan Maxima?
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I would consider an Jaguar XF Supercharged. 400+ HP, plenty of room, reliable, beautiful. Well at least drive one and say you didn't like it, but what's not to like?
Never entered my mind but nice call, very close to what I drive. Here's a pic from an '09 on CL:
Old 05-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

For what it's worth, I have a Lexus IS350 I've been very happy with.

306 HP with snappy acceleration.
6 speed auto.
Paddle shifter for those winding roads.
Seats 4 comfortably.
Rear wheel drive.
Decent handling, with a sport suspension package available that I really didn't see the need for.
Full leather interior with more gizmos than I can name. I kinda loaded up on the options when I bought it.
Problem free. All I've done is routine maintenance.
Mileage ranges between 24-28 mpg using premium fuel.
Minimal glass compared to most new cars. I hate driving in a fish bowl.
Depending on options, the IS350 should fall in your price range.

Like you, I keep my cars for a long time. I figure I'll keep this one until it hits the 15 year mark. I have absolutely no regrets buying it, and there's nothing out there I'd really rather have at the moment.

My wife is making noise about getting herself a new ride. She has an 11 year old Lexus RX300 that's also been bulletproof. I'm going to hate getting rid of it, but I won't tell her no. She prefers an SUV, so at this point I'm going to steer her either toward another Lexus or maybe an Infinity. After 11 years, hers is still worth probably 20% of what we paid for it. Lexus maintains a pretty decent trade-in value.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
BC-Axeman

My daughter had an IS for a while. I was thinking about something a little larger. She has a BMW 535 now and likes it a lot more.
The infinity Ms look about right for me.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
My daughter had an IS for a while. I was thinking about something a little larger. She has a BMW 535 now and likes it a lot more.
The infinity Ms look about right for me.
I came close to an Infinity before settling on the IS. Looked at Beemers too, but just couldn't bond with them. I think I'd have been equally happy with an Infinity if I hadn't gone with the IS.

My wife wants another SUV, but Lexus increased the size of the RX a few years ago and she's not sure she wants something that big. I'm going to take her down and let her test drive the EX and see what she thinks. As far as I know, Infinity is a pretty reliable vehicle. If she likes it, I may throw the dice and give it a try. If not, I suspect she'll decide on another RX. Either way, I think in another month or two I'll be a little poorer.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Crazy. I was going to post the same thing. It's most likely my next vehicle.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Crazy. I was going to post the same thing. It's most likely my next vehicle.
I would also suggest a Maserati Qporte Automatico with ZF Transmission. My buddy had one and it was quite reliable. At his price range, he'd have to get a 2007, but it's certainly a car that will age gracefully and not get old looking. The trunk is on the smaller side for such a big car, but plenty of passenger room.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

08/09 (still the classy headlights) e550 ?
Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Ifiniti M class, Nissan Maxima, Acura RL, Lexus GS should all fit the bill.

I'm not as familiar with the European brands.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

I'm going to suggest something in a little different direction: Ford Edge. Don't sell it short without looking at it.

My daughter bought a used 2007 fully loaded for about 15K. It meets or exceeds every spec you listed. For your 45K you could get a whole lot of car if not new. From it's handling to the amenities it's just a gorgeous ride.

As I said hers is fully loaded: full vista moon roof, heated leather seats, in dash nav system dual climate controls, AWD (you get rear wheel until sensors kick in the AWD), sound system, head and knee room (I'm 6-4), memory seats - the list is long. Either just over or under 300hp depending on model, responsive handling and great pickup. Her mileage in city is about 22 mpg - she also has a heavy foot. Curb weight: 4050.

On corners it thinks it's a sports car - on rough roads it thinks it's a caddy - it didn't even break a sweat on the ice and little snow we had this past winter.

It's got a nice wide stance, sits 5 adults no problem and everyone just loves the looks. Drivers seating: higher than a car, lower than an SUV/Truck. When my wife gets ready to replace her Crown Vic - its our next car.

Being American made - repairs should be lower than foreign numbers. Anyway - give it a look, compare and see.

Ron

Edge Specs
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
and everyone just loves the looks.

I shouldn't talk though, I sort of like the looks of the Nissan Juke
Old 05-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
BC-Axeman

I believe the Maxima is FWD. I am partial to RWD. Same for the GS.
The Edge is an interesting idea. The 3.7L engine is about the same as my 20% larger V8. It is more of a car (station wagon) than an SUV. I already like it more than my wife's Toyota Highlander just by looking at the specs.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
Apexkingjusto
Newb

First Name: Justin
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Apexkingjusto is on a distinguished road

I would imagine the used 5 series prices are going to start dopping with the new body style that came out. If you can live with the old rear tail lights you may want to consider the 5 series....
Apexkingjusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
Bill86
Snob

Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post

I shouldn't talk though, I sort of like the looks of the Nissan Juke
I've driven one for a year, they aren't bad. Back seat is kinda small, trunk isn't the largest. I'd have to look back at the review I submitted for the details if I can still find it. I didn't particularly like the layout of the interior, I do remember that was my biggest dislike. I had a lot of people wanting to see the car when I drove it around, although that could partially be with how new it was but I think a lot of people were really interested in it. I'd drive another one, but I don't think I'd buy it

For the price the Maxima is a very nice car. I think the one I drove was 2009. Very nice 4 door car though, no complaints.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #17
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

The Edge is a great car.
If it's large that you want and speed, the biggest one that I can think of is the Challenger. Bigg car, pretty fast in the 1/4 mile (not as fast as the Mustang or Camaro).
Just a thought.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #18
BC-Axeman

I find that having a powerful engine makes a car safer and easier to drive. It also doesn't work hard to cruise along. I sometimes push the limits but I can drive anything that way and get the maximum out of it. I like having the power in reserve to help when it's needed. Speed when you need it.
I'm not looking for large, just not small and light. The lighter the car the more they are at the mercy of the road irregularities, generally.
I eat up brakes, tires, and shocks. Suspension bushings have to be tough. Ball joints, too. It would be nice to find something without struts but that's getting rare.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #19
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

As much as I love & own a European vehicle, once they fall out of warranty, be prepared for any repairs as they are not cheap.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #20
Trace63
We're all mad here

First Name: Kamil
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Trace63 is on a distinguished road

I HATE European cars, but to each is own.

I would look into the Infiniti M series.

And as much as they used to be fugly and suck, newer gen Hyundais are gorgeous. 4 door genesis is a freaking steal compared to all other companies at this point.
[replicant_argent] 11:07 am: Wasn't wayne a busboy at the last supper?
[Dooge] 10:49 pm: just judo chopped a fly
Trace63 is offline   Reply With Quote