Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 06-03-2023, 11:41 AM   #3281
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Well, guess I needed a few more bottles. The BT on the right is a local store pick. $30, instead of the usual $27. Still 90 proof but from a single barrel. Hard to tell from the pic, but that bottle is a shade darker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0681.jpg (24.3 KB, 91 views)
Old 06-03-2023, 02:42 PM   #3282
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Well, guess I needed a few more bottles. The BT on the right is a local store pick. $30, instead of the usual $27. Still 90 proof but from a single barrel. Hard to tell from the pic, but that bottle is a shade darker.
Nice grabs! Let us know what you think of the Wilderness Trail. I've had an owner's pick of it that I quite liked.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:46 PM   #3283
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Nice grabs! Let us know what you think of the Wilderness Trail. I've had an owner's pick of it that I quite liked.
Will do. I’ve seen good things about them, like how they quickly became the 14th largest distillery in one a short time. Juice must be good if you can do that.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:22 AM   #3284
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Cracked open the WT last night for a taste. Very good, and should get better hopefully. First sip was kinda hot, but it was my first taste of the day. Gave it a few minutes to open up and my palette adjust. Vanilla, oak, spice. Long finish. The heat in my chest gradually built after a few more sips.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:54 AM   #3285
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

You definitely have the bug, Bob, be careful out there.

I cracked a new 9 year KC pick.

Bottled in 2019, this one isn't as tasty as the last couple 9 year picks I've opened. I hear the latest 9 year picks have been excellent and I'm hoping that continues as this is the last of the 9 year KC picks on the bar.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 04:23 AM   #3286
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Question for the hive mind. Do you think bourbon is going to experience an implosion like the cigar boom of the early 2000’s? As I watch more videos and see all of the new brands coming out, there has to be a point where it reaches over saturation. And the prices. Hard to pay what some of these newcomers are asking when you can find the established brands cheaper.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:51 AM   #3287
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I think it's possible that the market gets wildly oversaturated with all the craft distilleries, and all the variants/finishes/etc that keep hitting the market. I see stuff now that sits on the shelf forever around here. My favorite was Digits, the Scottie Pippin bourbon. One of the stores here dropped it by over 50% and it still sits untouched.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-06-2023, 08:18 AM   #3288
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Question for the hive mind. Do you think bourbon is going to experience an implosion like the cigar boom of the early 2000’s? As I watch more videos and see all of the new brands coming out, there has to be a point where it reaches over saturation. And the prices. Hard to pay what some of these newcomers are asking when you can find the established brands cheaper.
I think it's going to stop increasing at the rate it recently has, but I don't see an implosion on the horizon. Small brands will die off, big brands will keep putting out stupid amount of whiskey because they make their money on $20 Evan Williams not $300 Old Fitz decanters, and experimentation will always be around but will slow down. I bet there will always be a class of super premium extra high end to appeal to the scotch collectors but I think the $90-$150 range brands who don't have a core offering under $60 will have a hard time keeping people's attention
Old 06-06-2023, 08:41 AM   #3289
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

I am starting to see some slowing down in some areas of the market, and some speeding up in other areas. Example, Smoke Wagon was previously considered allocated by Spec's, so it was in the glass case, one-per person per day rule. A few weeks ago, i saw cases of all expressions on the end cap, no limit. Same with Heaven Hill 7 Year. Not sure why those (and a few others) suddenly became widely available. As for the speeding up, I see some newer brands get snapped up and placed on secondary markets at lighting speeds. Case in point: Penelope Rio. It is gone two minutes after the doors open at the stores.

Overall, I agree with Sterns; the boom is going to slow down, but it isn't going to implode.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:55 AM   #3290
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Eventually I think we will see the "investors" coming into the market - people that are buying sourced bourbon, putting a label on it and selling it for $80-$90 a bottle, slow down or go away when the margins dry up. In the meantime, there is still a lot out there that is good and reasonably priced that people have moved on from that will end up being there after others go away.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:40 PM   #3291
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Lucked into a bottle of the new Hardin's Creek release Clermont today. 17 years and 110 proof, and sourced from barrels at the same location they age Booker's barrels. Two versions from other Beam distillery locations will be released in August and September, but as a Booker's junkie, this is the one I really wanted.

Old 06-06-2023, 12:43 PM   #3292
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Damn man, what a pickup, let me know what you think when you give it a try. I'm hoping to get a whiff of any of those three but it seems unlikely
Old 06-06-2023, 02:04 PM   #3293
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Ben, I go to tis store maybe 4 times a year. I've lucked into several good bottles there, I really should go there weekly during the summer. Good excuse for a nice little ride on the bike.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:54 PM   #3294
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Trying the Wilderness Trail again. Man is this good. Like the sweet mash profile.
Old 06-07-2023, 12:10 AM   #3295
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Quote:
Trying the Wilderness Trail again. Man is this good. Like the sweet mash profile.
Try the rye, it’s better
Old 06-07-2023, 10:01 AM   #3296
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Was on my local Air Force Base today and they had Larceny Barrel Proof. It's the first time I've seen it there so I grabbed a bottle. It's the B523.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:21 AM   #3297
kingcobradude
Now known as Epicdragon7

First Name: Clay
Trading: (2)
kingcobradude is on a distinguished road

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x2O...w?usp=drivesdk
Picked this up today at the local liquor store
kingcobradude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 02:11 PM   #3298
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Was on my local Air Force Base today and they had Larceny Barrel Proof. It's the first time I've seen it there so I grabbed a bottle. It's the B523.
Interested to hear your thoughts on it. I got a bottle that I’m meh about. Hopefully it opens up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcobradude View Post
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x2O...w?usp=drivesdk
Picked this up today at the local liquor store
Nice pickup.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:13 PM   #3299
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Nice pickups, James and Clay.

James, I've never tried the Larceny BP but I've heard good things. I've also heard the batches have gotten progressively better.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:39 AM   #3300
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Nice pickups, James and Clay.

James, I've never tried the Larceny BP but I've heard good things. I've also heard the batches have gotten progressively better.
I've heard that, too. I had some from 2021 (can't remember the batch). It was decent, but nothing special. So I'm curious to see how they've progressed once I open it up.