Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 AM   #1181
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornrow_Wallis View Post
I was just screwing around on a website and decided to check out the FAQ because I'm bored and can't go to sleep. I ran across this quote talking about whether to leave the cello on or take it off.

"It also is great to cut your cigars with the wrappers on as it keeps the blade clean and sharp much longer."

Do people cut cigars with the cello on?
I read that same thing somewhere before. I can't remember where. Was it on cheaphumidors?

I've tried cutting a cigar with the cello on still. Didn't like the result...
Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 AM   #1182
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

I would think that by cutting with the cello on that if the blad is that dull it would pull on the cello and just pinch the cigar more because it wouldn't cut through anyway? I've never tried this and maybe i'm looking too much into this. Just doesn't make sense to me to even try it.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:37 AM   #1183
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

make the investment in a good cutter and, as long as you dont loose it, you will have a sharp cutter for many, many years
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #1184
BnBTobacco

Has anyone tried Macanudo Miniatures? How was it?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #1185
sparkboss

what are the different types of tobaccos used to make most cigars? i know of dominican and nicaraguan but not many others.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #1186
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

Actually, what you call types, are actually different regions. Types would be te different leaves of the plant such as seco and ligero. To answer your original question, there is tobacco grown all over the world. Mexico is another region that several brands use tobacco from. Personally, I prefer Nicaraguan cigars.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #1187
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
I would think that by cutting with the cello on that if the blad is that dull it would pull on the cello and just pinch the cigar more because it wouldn't cut through anyway? I've never tried this and maybe i'm looking too much into this. Just doesn't make sense to me to even try it.
I've done it a hundred times with dulling cutters and the opposite is true. Since the dulling cutter first touches the cello, that is what will pull as opposed to cut, then it will cut the cap and hits the cello last so the cello is pulled, not the cigar.

If you have a dulling cutter, you will get a cleaner cut by going through the cello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkboss View Post
what are the different types of tobaccos used to make most cigars? i know of dominican and nicaraguan but not many others.
Off the top of the old noggin'

Cuba
Dominican
Nica
Honduras
Mexico
US (Connecticut)(DE uses Perique from Louisiana)
Brazil
Cameroon
Peru
Indonesia
Ecuador
Philippines
Costa Rica
Columbia
Jamaica
Old 04-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #1188
sparkboss

amongst all of these i've heard of dominican, nicaraguan, guban, and honduran mostly - is it quality that makes these stick out more to some people, or just the same 'ol fate of preference?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #1189
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Most of the higher end NCs seem to be of Dominican or Nicaraguan origin, and many think their quality is superior to many of the other regions.

Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #1190
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkboss View Post
amongst all of these i've heard of dominican, nicaraguan, guban, and honduran mostly - is it quality that makes these stick out more to some people, or just the same 'ol fate of preference?
I would say it's flavor preference along with the quality. Each growing region provides tobacco with different flavors. Most growers think that tobacco from the Dominican and Nica is very comparable to Cuban tobacco, that's why many of today's cigar families that fled Cuba went there to grow baccy.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #1191
Angus

What vitola do you smoke while golfing?
Old 04-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #1192
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
What vitola do you smoke while golfing?
First off, this question will have answers as varried as "Whats your favorite cigar?"

Personally, I prefer consistent, longer smokes, that don't require touch-ups or relights, are lighter and milder. Some of my favorite smokes on the course are anything AVO, Pepin Blue, and Oliva. Mostly churchills, averaging about 1 cigar per 9 holes, sometimes 3 if we play 18.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #1193
Drkns

Hello, I am newby here and if this question is out of line please feel free to delete or if answered somewhere else please direct me to it. I am looking for online cuban cigar retailers. In some reviews a price for Romeo Y Julieta short churchill is stated 8$ per stick and I wonder where on earth that seller is?

Thanks,
Mehmet
Old 04-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #1194
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkns View Post
Hello, I am newby here and if this question is out of line please feel free to delete or if answered somewhere else please direct me to it. I am looking for online cuban cigar retailers. In some reviews a price for Romeo Y Julieta short churchill is stated 8$ per stick and I wonder where on earth that seller is?

Thanks,
Mehmet

Public discussion of Cuban cigar vendors between members is not permitted on this site per the site rules.

Participate, go to herfs, meet people, develop friendships, earn trust and eventually your new friends can privately help guide you.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #1195
muhren
The Cigar Artist

First Name: Mike
Trading: (43)
Punch
muhren has a spectacular aura aboutmuhren has a spectacular aura about

My wrapper was burning slowly and I can't recall what that is indicative of. The scoop...

A buddy and I were smoking some Padilla '32s while golfing today. I store at 67% humidity and 70*. Weather today was low 60s and overcast/threatening rain all day. I would assume higher humidity, but because it was cooler, it didn't feel too humid. It was also fairly windy.

So, what's the story with the burn?? I didn't get any cone in the filer post ash drop and had to keep re-lighting the wrapper as it was burning slowly and kept going out on me.

Can any of you aficionados help me out here?

M
Old 05-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #1196
Drkns

Thanks T. G.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #1197
themachine

What is your opinion on relighting a cigar, that has been let go out not smoothered out, later in the day or even the next day? Does this change the flavor of the cigar? Is it even worth it to smoke the rest of this cigar or just grab a new one?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #1198
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by themachine View Post
What is your opinion on relighting a cigar, that has been let go out not smoothered out, later in the day or even the next day? Does this change the flavor of the cigar? Is it even worth it to smoke the rest of this cigar or just grab a new one?
For me, I will relight if it's wthin 10-15 minutes. I will purge before relighting. After that, I light up anew cigar. Hours later or the next day? Never.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #1199
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Cigars are meant to be smoked in one sitting. I never pick up a cold cigar as it usually tastes like arse. However, I have heard stories of a cigar that sat out for days, half smoked, and they come back to it and it's still really good.

So, as in most things, it's up to your preference but I would never consider it again after trying it.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #1200
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by themachine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
For me, I will relight if it's wthin 10-15 minutes. I will purge before relighting. After that, I light up anew cigar. Hours later or the next day? Never.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Cigars are meant to be smoked in one sitting. I never pick up a cold cigar as it usually tastes like arse. However, I have heard stories of a cigar that sat out for days, half smoked, and they come back to it and it's still really good.

So, as in most things, it's up to your preference but I would never consider it again after trying it.

If you know you have to leave your cigar for a short time (long enough that it will go out) it helps to purge it when you set it down. Then as Peter and Greg have noted sometimes you can come back within a short time and the cigar will smoke well after (purging again and) relighting. Even so, this is risky -- it might just not taste as good as the first time around...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote