Old 07-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #41
imthegoal
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Brian
Trading: (4)
LGC Army (Active)
imthegoal will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tour de France 2010

[quote=E.J.;921443]You cannot compare leaving a rider who went down and leaving yellow after a wreck/mechanical....????

Alot of the people that have been complaining about the move today are comparing it to the year that Lance waited on Jan when he crashed. When Lance had his crash that really hurt him on stage 8 alot of people are saying they saw him flat which is what caused him to clip his pedal and crash. Either way it is part of the sport. No matter how much I do not like Contador, which I dont, and how I truly want Schelk to beat him I cant fault him for today. Like I said in my previous post Schlek lost most of his time on the descent. Not on the remainder of the climb.
imthegoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #42
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

I would love to see Basso put Contador down. I haven't had time to watch the race this year
Superbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:13 AM   #43
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Basso isn't anywhere close enough to kick Contador's ass. None of the competitors of the (extremely heavy) Giro this year is any good in the Tour this year.

Today is the day, couple of huge climbs. Gonna be exiting.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:43 AM   #44
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Basso isn't anywhere close enough to kick Contador's ass. None of the competitors of the (extremely heavy) Giro this year is any good in the Tour this year.

Today is the day, couple of huge climbs. Gonna be exiting.
Contador and Schleck have this Tour wrapped up unless something tragic happens. I don't consider the chain popping off tragic.

If someone is capable of winning a double grand tour again, it will be Contador. Basso completed his objective of the season and he could be someone to win the World Championships if Italy fields a good team.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:05 AM   #45
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

For what it is worth, apparently Contador has apologized for the way he took yellow yesterday, citing rider etiquette.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #46
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

a real apology doesn't start with "maybe I ....."
Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #47
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Haven't chimed in, but I can't help myself from cheering for Schleck. Contador took advantage. There is only one way Contador could've gotten away, and that was by attacking while Schleck was in trouble.
The truth is, Contador wasn't attacking until Schleck had the problem. Once he lost his chain, Contador started flying.

And if there was any doubt, Contador led the charge. It appeared as if the others were going to wait up. Also, you have to give more respect to the yellow jersey. I don't think Schleck had it in Spa.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #48
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Just to make a complete picture: on the stage with the cubblestones, Contador had a flat and was caught up in the pile behind the fallen Frank Schleck. Andy didn't wait then either.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #49
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
a real apology doesn't start with "maybe I ....."
I didn't say he meant what he said.... I VERY MUCH feel like 99% of public apologies are nothing more than damage control.....

So with that said, wouldn't you agree that it appears that he knew it was a douche move and he needed to recognize that publically for damage control.....?

Like Moses stated, I think barring some sort of major unforeseen event, this tour is wrapped up.... I will go further, and have, stating that it is Contador that has it wrapped up. He is not worried about anyone but A. Schleck(made apparent on Sunday when they let everyone do their own thing while they played cat and mouse) and will gash him for minutes in the ITT... So again, with just 2 more days in the mountains(only place Andy has a prayer to gain time)....it doesn't even look like a desperate attack, just a....

ALL OF THAT SAID.... It has been a fun TdF IMO....
Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #50
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Just to make a complete picture: on the stage with the cubblestones, Contador had a flat and was caught up in the pile behind the fallen Frank Schleck. Andy didn't wait then either.
Was Contador wearing yellow? People continue to act as if waiting on every crash or mechanical is the norm.... There is a difference between attacking yellow during an issue and going on with a race when a contender goes down....

I was under the impression that Contador had a broken spoke... I don't remember a flat.... But as far as the spoke, even the announcers were not aware of his issue until after the race....which is why there were questions about Vinokurov dropping him at the line.... Or maybe I am thinking a different stage????????

Not trying to appear/or be argumentative.... Sometimes this stuff doesn't translate well with the written word....

I also don't want to try to appear to be some epic knowledge base as far as cycling and bike races.... I am not.... These are just opinions by an amateur cyclist...
Old 07-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #51
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

IMO there is a big difference between keeping pace, slowing down and attacking. After Schlecks mishap, Contador attacked. He could have maintained the pace, but he chose to attack.

I hope Schleck attacks on Thursday and blows Contador out of the water.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #52
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Was Contador wearing yellow? People continue to act as if waiting on every crash or mechanical is the norm.... There is a difference between attacking yellow during an issue and going on with a race when a contender goes down....
Was Andy wearing yellow when they waited for him in Spa?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #53
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post

I hope Schleck attacks on Thursday and blows Contador out of the water.
I hope so too, and that Menchov takes the yellow jersey after saturday's time trial.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #54
cgarphotogallery

Contador didn;t have to waith for Schleck. If his gear was right their was no problem...if they have to waith for all small things their is nothing to race for.
Thursday a new fight, Schleck is going to attack..can't waith to see the race! Hope Mechov can do something for Rabobank. Gesink...hope this breakday gives him strength and he can climb in the ranking.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #55
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Was Andy wearing yellow when they waited for him in Spa?
Was that the day Cancellara held the peloton from chasing? Was under the impression that was a "statement" related to the course....not so much EVERYONE waiting for Andy. Though I am sure that if Yellow at the time(Cancellara) being a Saxo teammate didn't hurt....

Also, Cancellara gave up Yellow by that statement, right?
Old 07-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #56
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

giving up the yellow isn't a big deal for Cancellara, as he isn't a real contender for the victory in Paris.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #57
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
giving up the yellow isn't a big deal for Cancellara, as he isn't a real contender for the victory in Paris.
But every day in Yellow is an honor for any rider... Even thought FC knew he was not going to wear the yellow in Paris, it is a sacrifice to give it up when he didn't have to.....right?

Assume it also means $$$ and always makes a sponsor happy, though with Saxo dumping at the end of the year....maybe getting Saxo all wet doesn't really worry the team....
Old 07-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #58
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Cancellara doesn't need the exposure of the yellow jersey, he's too big for that.

Let's agree to disagree, we won't get anywhere with this. You have your opinion, I respect that, I just disagree (even though I am NOT a Contador fan, never liked the guy, probably never will)
Old 07-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #59
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Let's agree to disagree
Fair enough...

We will both hope for a fantastic and surprising finish to a great race....
Old 07-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #60
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

WTF?!?!? Sheep?