Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #761
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

If the rain holds off, I plan to do a chuckie and butt (beef and pork) this Saturday. This will be my first chuckie.

I wanted to use Todd's DIRT, but forgot to order and I am BBQ'ing this Sat.

Anyone familiar with Todd's DIRT and have a comparable rub recipe?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #762
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Not familiar but sounds interesting. How do you order it?
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:52 AM   #763
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Not familiar but sounds interesting. How do you order it?
Through the interwebs:

http://www.toddsdirt.com/

I hear and read, this is the must have rub for beef.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #764
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Had a hunk of less than thrilling brie cheese in the refrigerator, so I decided to toss it in the cold smoker with some hickory last night, see if it helps it out. Left it in there for about an hour and fifteen minutes or so, maybe a bit longer, hopefully that will make it more interesting.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #765
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Through the interwebs:

http://www.toddsdirt.com/

I hear and read, this is the must have rub for beef.
The best deal is the pounder at a $1 per oz. But shipping is $7.30 for a single bottle. But $10 for 3 bottles. Chance to save some coin maybe? Anyone interested in a group buy?

Rough math with estimated shipping says with 10 people a pound bottle would be approx. $19 to you instead of $23. hmm

Last edited by kydsid; 06-22-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #766
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
The best deal is the pounder at a $1 per oz. But shipping is $7.30 for a single bottle. But $10 for 3 bottles. Chance to save some coin maybe? Anyone interested in a group buy?

Rough math with estimated shipping says with 10 people a pound bottle would be approx. $19 to you instead of $23. hmm
If you are a member of BBQ brethern, I believe there are some pretty good discounts he will give. Just a FYI.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #767
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If you are a member of BBQ brethern, I believe there are some pretty good discounts he will give. Just a FYI.
Yeah, 15% discount.
I'm down wit' the Brethren.....
Old 06-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #768
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Went to PW for the reduced rack, and I see a disturbing trend. Used to be reduced was
greater than half off. Now they lop off a dollar and call that reduced. And frankly I don't
blame em. I think a lot of undesirables in the area poke their thumb through the plastic wrap
and then come back two days later to buy it reduced cause of the dark, dry spot. In fact
I know a few people were doing it. Maybe this new pricing structure will keep em from
doing it. Not sure, though. I think they are just driving up the food cost in the end and
then not even buying their handiwork.

But I digress, lol. Found at least one pack of ground meat that was not highway reduced
robbery. And it seemed by the prices that chuck roasts were onsale, so I got about 5 of those.
People with keen memories will remember I let my last batch of four roasts spend the night
in the truck. Won't ruin THESE, though. (I hope)
I got some tortilla chips and some avocados at El Supermercado last week, so I am gonna
chuck me up some Mexi beef as seen on this thread. Gotta go to the bank and float a loan
so I can buy some cheese, now.

Last edited by OLS; 06-24-2010 at 11:10 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #769
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Went to PW for the reduced rack, and I see a disturbing trend. Used to be reduced was
greater than half off. Now they lop off a dollar and call that reduced. And frankly I don't
blame em. I think a lot of undesirables in the area poke their thumb through the plastic wrap
and then come back two days later to buy it reduced cause of the dark, dry spot. In fact
I know a few people were doing it. Maybe this new pricing structure will keep em from
doing it. Not sure, though. I think they are just driving up the food cost in the end and
then not even buying their handiwork.

But I digress, lol. Found at least one pack of ground meat that was not highway reduced
robbery. And it seemed by the prices that chuch roasts were onsale, so I got about 5 of those.
People with keen memories will remember I left my last batch of four roasts spend the night
in the truck. Won't ruin THESE, though. (I hope)
I got some tortilla chips and some avocados at El Supermercado last week, so I am gonna
chuck me up some Mexi beef as seen on this thread. Gotta go to the bank and float a loan
so I can buy some cheese, now.
Sounds yummy. Hope to see pics.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #770
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Okay gods of the smoker. I have my Brother, Sister In Law, 9 and 11 year old nieces and 14 month old nephew headed into town.

Give me some ideas for things to smoke that will go down well with all the ages and won't take a whole day smoke.

Any recipes would also be appreciated.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #771
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Sounds yummy. Hope to see pics.
Pics? Brad?

Never happen.

Brad's cooking stories are kind of like letters from Penthouse Forum for BBQ. It's all about your imagination.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #772
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Been awhile since I fired up the smoker. Have some guest coming into town this weekend so I plan on doing a few slabs of ribs. Anyone know of any good rubs, procedures, and or tips?
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #773
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Okay gods of the smoker. I have my Brother, Sister In Law, 9 and 11 year old nieces and 14 month old nephew headed into town.

Give me some ideas for things to smoke that will go down well with all the ages and won't take a whole day smoke.

BRTU baby!

Ribs = nice fun, messy, delicious finger food!

Depending on the kids, you might want to back off the cayenne power in the rub and go with more chili powder (which should be milder) or even substitute with paprika (which will most definitely be milder). Then again, by that age, I was already eating entire jars of chili paste with a spoon, so you might not need to modify anything.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #774
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Been awhile since I fired up the smoker. Have some guest coming into town this weekend so I plan on doing a few slabs of ribs. Anyone know of any good rubs, procedures, and or tips?
See the link in my response to Jason's aforementioned question above.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #775
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I have some discount rub, only fell on the floor once, and most of the dog hair and dust
furballs are picked out of it. But I hear it IS good.
TG, you said it, I always eat first, think of pics later. But I guess I will promise or something.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #776
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:

You might be surprised to see how well a Pork Butt goes over with the kids. My 3 yr old daughter loves it. I think she just likes saying "pork butt" too, but that's besides the point. You can do it hot and fast which will take about an hour a pound. If you do it in 4lb cuts, you can have it done in 4-5 hours. It's cheap, easier clean up than ribs and more appealing.

Thighs are pretty quick and easy. In less than 3 hours you will have delicious thigh meat, that even the picky "white meat only" eaters will gobble up.

Also, you can make up some MOINK balls which are fun finger foods. Pretty quick too. I once saw a guy make a hoagie/sub from MOINK balls and cheese. YUM!
Old 06-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #777
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
See the link in my response to Jason's aforementioned question above.
Most definately! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I have some discount rub, only fell on the floor once, and most of the dog hair and dust
furballs are picked out of it. But I hear it IS good.
TG, you said it, I always eat first, think of pics later. But I guess I will promise or something.
Sounds like trail mix.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #778
kydsid
Ditat Deus

MOINK balls? Got a recipe or directions? I have heard of them but never tackled them as of yet.

The Pork Butt is a good one, but I guess I should of prefaced my question by letting you know I had 5lbs of frozen pulled pork and another 5lbs of carnitas in the freezer from my last smoke.

Last edited by kydsid; 06-24-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #779
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
You might be surprised to see how well a Pork Butt goes over with the kids. My 3 yr old daughter loves it. I think she just likes saying "pork butt" too, but that's besides the point. You can do it hot and fast which will take about an hour a pound. If you do it in 4lb cuts, you can have it done in 4-5 hours. It's cheap, easier clean up than ribs and more appealing.
You can also simmer or pressure cook the butt and then put it on the smoker to finish. Simmer for a 2 hours or so. I am not an expert on pressure cooking, but I think 1.5 hours will suffice then a few hours on the smoker. Both methods will allow the seasoned cooking fluid to get into the meat better than just seasoning the butt (which gets little penetration).

Both methods can be done ahead of time and then put the cooled half-cooked butt on the smoker the next day.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #780
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
MOINK balls? Got a recipe or directions? I have heard of them but never tackled them as of yet.

The Pork Butt is a good one, but I guess I should of prefaced my question by letting you know I had 5lbs of frozen pulled pork and another 5lbs of carnitas in the freezer from my last smoke.
http://noexcusesbbq.com/recipes/moink-balls

That's pretty much the basic recipe. Be careful... they are VERY tasty and you might get people asking for them, all the time.

If you already have the pulled pork, then thaw it out. I forgot to mention that, but re-heated frozen pork butt is 95% as good as getting it off the smoker. It's a little more oily, but that never hurt anything but the front of your shirt. You could cook it the day, week, month before they come down and then thaw it out, re-heat and serve.

As an aside, kids love to dip food into condiments. If you can provide an array of sauces or dips, that would go over well.