Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Any feedback on the Xikar X8?

http://www.xikar.com/cutters_xi208.asp

Considering it is probably just a matter of time before I lose my Xi2 or whatever the heck it is, I thought I would shop a bit today, off a Xikar newsletter in my email.
Although I will probably purchase a Palio, and Marc is a member here, it looks like Xikar is giving a run for the money on the double guillotine style cutter market.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Any feedback on the Xikar X8?

Damn those do look nice......I might get one of those with the new Xikar V-cut when it comes out.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (84)
lbowles2 will become famous soon enough

I love mine. When I first saw a pic of them I wasn't impressed. I thought the plastic looked cheap for $25. I was at an event one night in Lawrence KS and one of the founders of Xikar was there. I mentioned how I don't really like the butterfly type cutters and he asked if I tried one of the X8s. I said I had not so he had me cut a smoke with it. Lets just say I ended up buying one that night. Very nice cut and will handle a large ring guage. And the same hard steel and sharpness as the Xi cutters. You can't really go wrong as far as I'm concerned. I will likely end up with a 2nd one.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
http://www.xikar.com/cutters_xi208.asp

Considering it is probably just a matter of time before I lose my Xi2 or whatever the heck it is, I thought I would shop a bit today, off a Xikar newsletter in my email.
Although I will probably purchase a Palio, and Marc is a member here, it looks like Xikar is giving a run for the money on the double guillotine style cutter market.
In reference to you saying that you likely end up with a Palio. I had one and really liked it. But guess what happened to my Palio the day after buying the Xikar.... I traded it off for some smokes. The Xikar cuts just as nice and handles a larger ring guage
Old 10-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough

I have several Xi2s and complain about each one. I have never owned a Palio, but everytime I use one, I want one. Right now, my go to cutter is a 25 buck knock-off of the Boston Little Guy V-Cutter.
Matt-N-Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga View Post
I have several Xi2s and complain about each one. I have never owned a Palio, but everytime I use one, I want one. Right now, my go to cutter is a 25 buck knock-off of the Boston Little Guy V-Cutter.
I guarantee you the X8 is a much nicer and easier to use cutter than the Xi2. I didn't like the Xi cutter either and I had the nicer ones. The X8 blows it away.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #7
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

The X8 looks like a cheap Palio knock-off, it even copied the 'cigar stand' shape of the Palio.

I will get one though with their 'purchase 6 HC series grande cigars and get a cutter for free' as I want to try those HC series anyway.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:49 AM   #8
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbowles2 View Post
The Xikar cuts just as nice and handles a larger ring guage
It's not you as I have heard this time and again but I have never got this statement. Almost any cutter will work with large ring guage cigars.

I've cut hundreds of 54+ ring guage (aka: jawbreaker) cigars with an Xi.

I agree with Ferdie, looks like a cheap knock-off of Palio.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 AM   #9
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
It's not you as I have heard this time and again but I have never got this statement. Almost any cutter will work with large ring guage cigars.

I've cut hundreds of 54+ ring guage (aka: jawbreaker) cigars with an Xi.

I agree with Ferdie, looks like a cheap knock-off of Palio.
I don't smoke many 60 rg cigars but alot of people do and you gotta admit even though the Palio will cut it you may have problems with draw if more of the cap needs to come off. I had a camo palio and ran into problems with this. Do I think it makes the Palio a crappy cutter? Not at all. I loved my Palio and thought I would never get rid of it until I tried the X8. It had all the qualities of the Palio that I liked but with a larger opening giving you more option when cutting 56-60 ring cigars.

As far as being a 'cheap knockoff' I don't see it that way. Just because it doesn't have the fancy shape of the Palio doesn't make it cheap. It is plenty comfortable to cut with and I think you would have a hard time finding a cutter that is as smooth and cuts as nice..

This is a debate that could go on forever. I would put the Palio and X8 even with eachother for quality of cut and smoothness. They are both great cutters but the X8 seems more versatile to me.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:26 AM   #10
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

are you a Xikar rep?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #11
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

i might just be buying one of these. have an xi2 that is awesome, but why not
Old 10-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #12
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Congratulations Marc! Xikar copied the Palio design. Isnt imitation the sincerest form of flattery? Or some bullchit like that?

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #13
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I used Larrys and it is the cleanest cutting Cutter I have ever used.
I think it cuts smoother than there $60 cutters. Im getting one for sure!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
are you a Xikar rep?
LOL... nope... just a VERY satisfied user of this particular cutter. I just want to make sure people don't mistake this cutter to be 'cheap' which it is not. Yes maybe they copied the Palio in that one of the blades is fixed and you can set your stogie on it but I would never say that it is a cheap imitation of the Palio.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #15
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

nobody said it is cheap, it just looks cheap and a Palio knock off.

We all know Xikar and we all know their quality, you read nothing but positive feedback on them, so everybody expects quality from them.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #16
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

For $ 25...you can't go wrong!!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:23 AM   #17
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

for free, when you have the coupon and buy 6 HC series grande cigars.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:07 AM   #18
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
for free, when you have the coupon and buy 6 HC series grande cigars.
and here's the coupon
Old 10-31-2010, 07:03 PM   #19
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Just ordered one of these in the Carbon Fiber for $ 21.97. WTH, I'll give it a try.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #20
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Just ordered one of these in the Carbon Fiber for $ 21.97. WTH, I'll give it a try.
Let me know what you think of it, I've been tempted to order one and that new V-Cut.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote