Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Captain Ed Freeman - Congressional MOH Recipient

I received an email today erroneously stating that Captain Ed Freeman died recently, and contrasting his death with Michael Jackson's. Being unfamiliar with Ed Freeman, I checked on Google and Snopes, and sure enough, the email I received was incorrect. But the real story about Ed Freeman is wonderful, and one all Americans should know about. So, here is the REAL story about Medal of Honor recipient Captain Ed Freeman, copied from CNN's transcript of the MOH ceremony. I realize it is long, but it's the best thing I've read in several days, so if you have the time, please continue to read.

GEORGE W. BUSH, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES (East Room of the White House):
By all rights, another president from Texas should have had the honor of conferring this medal. It was in the second year of Lynden Johnson's presidency that Army Captain Ed Freeman did something that the men of the 7th Calvary have never forgotten. Years passed, even decades, but the memory of what happened on November 14, 1965 has always stayed with them.

For his actions that day, Captain Freeman was awarded the distinguished Flying Cross, but the men who were there, including the commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel Bruce Crandall, felt a still higher honor was called for. Through the unremitting efforts of Lieutenant Colonel Crandall and many others and the persuasive weight from Senator John McCain, the story now comes to its rightful conclusion.

That story began with a battalion surrounded by the enemy in one of Vietnam's fiercest battles. The survivors remember the desperate fear of almost certain death. They remember gunfire that one witness described as the most intense he had ever seen, and they remember the sight of an unarmed helicopter coming to their aid. The man with the controls flew through the gunfire not once, not 10 times, but at least 21 times. That single helicopter brought the water, ammunition and supplies that saved many lives on the ground, and the same pilot flew more than 70 wounded soldiers to safety.

In a moment, we will hear the full citation in all its heroic detail. General Eisenhower once observed that when you hear a Medal of Honor citation, you practically assume that the man in question didn't make it out alive. In fact, about 1 in 6 never did, and the other five, men just like you all here, probably didn't expect to.

Citations are also written in the most simple of language, needing no embellishment or techniques of rhetoric. They record places and names and events that describe themselves. The medal itself bears only one word and needs only one, valor.

As a boy of 13, Ed Freeman saw thousands of men on maneuvers pass by his home in Mississippi. He decided then and there that he would be a soldier. A lifetime later the Congress has now decided that he's even more than a soldier because he did more than his duty. He served his country and his comrades to the fullest, rising above and beyond anything the Army or the nation could have ever asked.

It's been some years now, since he left the service and was last saluted.

BUSH: But from this day, wherever he goes, by military tradition, Ed Freeman will merit a salute from any enlisted personnel or officer of rank. Commander Seevers, I'll now ask you to read this citation of the newest member of the Congressional Medal of Honor Society, and it'll be my honor to give him his first salute.

COMMANDER GEORGE SEEVERS (reading the citation):
The president of the United States of America, authorized by act of Congress, March 3, 1863 has awarded in the name of the Congress the medal of honor to Captain Ed W. Freeman, United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Captain Ed W. Freeman, United States Army, distinguished himself by numerous acts of conspicuous gallantry and extraordinary intrepidity on 14 November, 1965, while serving with Company A, 229th, Assault Helicopter Battalion, First Cavalry Division Air Mobil (ph).

As a flight leader and second in command of a 16-helicopter lift unit, he supported a heavily engaged American infantry battalion at landing zone X-ray in the Idrang Valley, Republic of Vietnam. The infantry unit was almost out of ammunition, after taking some of the heaviest casualties of the war, fighting off a relentless attack from a highly motivated, heavily armed enemy force.

When the infantry commander closed the helicopter landing zone, due to intense direct enemy fire, Captain Freeman risked his own life by flying his unarmed helicopter through a gauntlet of enemy fire, time after time, delivering critically needed ammunition, water and medical supplies to the Paceeds (ph) battalion.

His flights had a direct impact on the battle's outcome by providing the engaged units with timely supplies of ammunition critical to their survival without which they would almost surely have experienced a much greater loss of life. After medical evacuation helicopters refused to fly into the area, due to intense enemy fire, Captain Freeman flew 14 separate rescue missions, providing life- saving evacuation of an estimates 30 seriously wounded soldiers, some of whom would not have survived, had he not acted.

All flights were made into a small emergency landing zone within 100 to 200 meters of the defensive perimeter where heavily committed units were perilously holding off the attacking elements. Captain Freeman's selfless acts of great valor, extraordinary perseverance and intrepidity were far above and beyond the call of duty or mission and set a superb example of leadership and courage for all of his peers.

Captain Freeman's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Captain Ed Freeman - Congressional MOH Recipie

Great story, and thank you for sharing it with us all. I am glad the report of his death was greatly exaggerated.

Yet I am curious - you said the erring e-mail contrasted his "death" with Wacko Jacko's. WTF? In what context? Sorry, but something there's just not right.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for sharing that story! I hadn't seen it.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Ed Freeman died in August 2008, almost a year ago. The erronious email I received said that Congressional MOH hero Captain Freeman died recently, and got no news coverage; yet Michael Jackson, alleged pediphile, got days and days of coverage.

Here is a LINK to the Snopes article debunking this current internet "myth."
Old 07-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
Ed Freeman died in August 2008, almost a year ago. The erronious email I received said that Congressional MOH hero Captain Freeman died recently, and got no news coverage; yet Michael Jackson, alleged pediphile, got weeks and weeks of coverage.

Here is a LINK to the Snopes article debunking this current internet "myth."
Fixed it....

I despise the media..

Thank you for sharing this story. I've read it before, but it's nice to see it posted.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rich
Trading: (1)
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road

Wow I think Ive seen this on the history channel. Still an amazing story. Thank you for sharing!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
tobii3

Well, there was a great hero that did pass on June 17th.

Darrell "Shifty" Powers.

Y'all might recognize the name from Band of Brothers.

LINK