Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 11-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Opinions on French Press?

For those of you who really know coffee, what is your opinion of coffee make with a French Press? Personally, I really enjoy it, but my only comparison of our home coffee is regular drip coffee. Coffee from the French press seems creamier. How course or fine should the grind be? I've got a burr grinder, can't recall what kind, but I have it set on for little courser than drip coffee.

Also, what is a good way to store whole beans? I'm the only one in the house who is interested in grinding coffee, so I want it to be stored well.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2008, 08:14 AM   #2
Tombstone

Default Re: Opinions on French Press?

Mr. Moo...you there
Old 11-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

It runs a dead heat with a Chemex in my book.
Easier and cleaner than a vacpot without any real drawbacks.
Better than most autodrip brewers only because most autodrip brewers don't work very well.

Press: 9.2
Vac: 9.0
Manual Pourover: 9.2
mokapot: 9.35
espresso: 9.8
Old 11-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Hardcz

French press before I discovered home roasting, was the only coffee I could enjoy black. Great depth of flavor and substance in the actual end product you just cannot replicate. It is unique and something to be enjoyed over a drip pot any day.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guy. Any recommendations on how fine/course to grind the beans?

Oh, and what is a good way to store beans? If I put them in a glass mason jar with a good seal will that keep them fresh?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
Thanks guy. Any recommendations on how fine/course to grind the beans?

Oh, and what is a good way to store beans? If I put them in a glass mason jar with a good seal will that keep them fresh?
I take french press grind to medium-coarse. Let the depth of the sludge at the bottom of your cup be your guide - too much sludge, too fine a grind.

Store beans out of the light. A sealed glass jar is probably the best thing but I mostly use old plastic OJ jugs and they're fine if the coffee doesn't sit around for mweeks and weeks. Refrigeration or freezing of fresh roast will work to extend bean freshness but, to avoid water condensation, you need to let the (glass only) jar and contents return to room temp before opening and using. I think air is the killer on bean freshness - sealed glass jar, sealed plastic jug, ziplock bags, etc., may all be fine for a week or two.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

French Press rocks for brewed coffee. Drawbacks are it's strictly brew and serve as it gets cold quick.

Make sure your water is off boiled, and pour the excess hot water into your coffee mug to heat it up.

My family has been using the same French Press (from France) since the mid 70's!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I use an old Illy can and just keep refilling it. It has a wonderful pop art look to it and does a good job of keeping sealed. Looks appropriate next to the espresso machine and grinder.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

OK this is really good. I went last night to Caribou (regional place like Starbucks) and bought a half-pound of Sumatra beans. This morning I messed around with the grinder a little to find the right size setting while the water was heating. Tossed those grounds since some were too fine. Then I ground enough for 4 cups of coffee and brewed it in the French press. This is much "fruitier" than I previously thought Sumatra to be. REally good. I don't have time to do this every morning, but on weekends this is going to be a regular event. Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
goatfarmer
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Dave
Trading: (0)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
goatfarmer is on a distinguished road

Recently introduced to French Press and Moka Pot thanks to members of the asylum. Treat myself to a Moka brew on occasion but primarily addicted to the French Press, shame it took this ole timer so long; as they say, better late than never. Used the drip machine to keep the coffee warm, felt it's better than letting it collect dust. There is no issue of the brew setting too long, in addition, it also has a timer. Of course had to include the cordless water kettle as part of the 'slippery slope' package, oh what a combo. Lotta good info , adding a few steps to my coffee brewing ritual. Oh, by the way, may need to add few coffee related 'smileys' to the asylum.
goatfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
novasurf
The Roastmaster General

Trading: (2)
novasurf is on a distinguished road

To me, the French Press is the best way to drink coffee, hands down.
novasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #12
EvanS

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasurf View Post
To me, the French Press is the best way to drink coffee, hands down.
word
Old 11-18-2008, 05:02 AM   #13
burninator
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
burninator is on a distinguished road

Been brewing with a french press for a few weeks, and I'm not sure I'll ever drink another cup of drip. I get a much softer texture, as well as a vivid flavor. Only problem I have is that my grinder tends to produce some dust, which I think makes the coffee harsh at the bottom of the mug, so I don't drink that. I have found that I want a bit of milk in mine, whereas I used to drink drip without it.

I grind almost at the coarsest setting, since I like to let it brew a little longer before pressing.
burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 AM   #14
muziq
Local Artard

Trading: (4)
ERdM Army (Served With Honor)
muziq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
French Press rocks for brewed coffee. Drawbacks are it's strictly brew and serve as it gets cold quick.
Unless you get a Bodum Columbia, which is a double-walled french press that retains temp very nicely for as much as half an hour with very little temp loss. I use it for coffee; I use my older German-made pyrex model for steeping teas.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:51 AM   #15
Bigwaved

RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Bigwaved has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziq View Post
Unless you get a Bodum Columbia, which is a double-walled french press that retains temp very nicely for as much as half an hour with very little temp loss. I use it for coffee; I use my older German-made pyrex model for steeping teas.
that is what I use. Heath speaks the truth
Bigwaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #16
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

I've got one of those thermos carafe things. I pour the coffee into that once I press coffee is done brewing.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
I've got one of those thermos carafe things. I pour the coffee into that once I press coffee is done brewing.
That is what I do too. I bring the Thermos to work every day.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #18
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

For what I consider a traditional cup of coffee French press is the way to go. It's simple, cheap, there are no moving parts and most importantly it is the best quality cup of coffee you can make. Although Moo calls mokapot coffee regular coffee not espresso I consider it an in between state. Not a coffee not an espresso just a mokapot coffee because it is so different in texture and flavor than and other non-espresso method of coffee. More in an other category that would include things like Cuban or Turkish coffee which are not espresso but are made with coffee beans and water but bear very little resemblance to coffee that say for instance my grandfather would recognize.

One of the biggest difference between French press and drip for me is "mouth feel". In fact tasting a cup of drip side by side with a french press is a really good way to illustrate that concept. Drip is thin like water and the french press is full like wine. I'm sure Mr.Moo can speak to why the water/grounds exposure/time relationship creates a more nuanced and rich flavor in a French press. Although he may just say "autodrip brewers don't work very well".

http://www.planetarydesign.us/allproducts.html

Makes a great double-walled, vacuum-insulated french press. I have two in the 20oz and the 32oz. Look great and work ridiculous well. I have made coffee in the morning for my wife and I and when I have gotten home from work the last cup in the pot was still warm not hot but warm. Not that I drank it but I was damn impressed.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #19
j6ppc

99% of the time I go with a french press. Far better than drip/filter coffee.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #20
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Just bought a french press and used it for the first time tonight, don't see me going back to the auto-drip anytime soon.
WyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote