Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #21
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Out Of Cigars" Cigar Band Project #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
Any chance you could link to something like that two-part poly? My Google-fu is failing me, but this is exactly what I was thinking with doing a coffee table. Basically like what they finish some bar surfaces with.
It's sometimes called "bar top coating" or "bar epoxy" or something like that, too. I don't remember for sure (it was a few years ago), but I think this is what I used http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html#kleerkote

I had a small storage ottoman where the top could be flipped over and used as a TV tray. I coated the bottom of the tray with bands and then used the 2-part epoxy to cover it all in.

I would do one layer then epoxy it. Let it dry, and do another and epoxy it. I think I did three layers in all. It gave it more depth with bands appearing to float. I didn't cover the entire space with each layer, but over the course of three layers it covered it all so you could see the different layers of bands below.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #22
Lonely Raven

I've not used this brand, I just searched for Bar Top Epoxy

http://www.bartopepoxy.com/?gclid=CL...FRFR7AodaWDpOg

I don't recall the brand I've used. I used to make Home theater subwoofers and I had someone pay me for several of them that needed a black piano finish. So I basically coated them in a "bar top epoxy" and let gravity do the work for me...since I don't have a proper spray booth, nor the patients for spraying paint/poly clear coat.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #23
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
It's sometimes called "bar top coating" or "bar epoxy" or something like that, too. I don't remember for sure (it was a few years ago), but I think this is what I used http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html#kleerkote

I had a small storage ottoman where the top could be flipped over and used as a TV tray. I coated the bottom of the tray with bands and then used the 2-part epoxy to cover it all in.

I would do one layer then epoxy it. Let it dry, and do another and epoxy it. I think I did three layers in all. It gave it more depth with bands appearing to float. I didn't cover the entire space with each layer, but over the course of three layers it covered it all so you could see the different layers of bands below.
Awesome, thanks for the link. Do you have any pics of that ottoman? It sounds really cool and I like the idea of multi-layers.
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #24
Lonely Raven

LOL, Chris beat me to it. I type too slowly I guess.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #25
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I used purple glue sticks when I did mine, they work great.
I made coasters once, too. A bunch of them. I used those glass picture coasters and made inserts that were covered with cigar bands. They turned out awesome.
The only problem I could see is that the coasters had a slot in the side where you put the picture or whatever in them. If a sweaty glass or bottle was on the coaster, the water would run right inside and ruin the picture or whatever was inside.
So once I slid in the card with the bands glued on them, I sealed the seam that ran all around the edge of the coaster. I used 100% silicone, was very careful, and cleaned any excess off with a razor. I cleaned the whole deal with alcohol a couple times before I applied the silicone, too.
I can't find the pics of them, either.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #26
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I did this a number of years ago. I then took photos and made stationary, posters, etc. Some of the guys still use the stationary around here for bombs and stuff.
I'm trying to find the stationary now. Can't find it. Bummer.
I swear, I've got to do everything! I find all your threads now I'm posting your old stationary pics.

Master 1 is 4.46 MB 3888x2592
Master 2 is 10.1 MB 3807x2592

I can't post due to the size. PM me your home email address and I'll email them to you or tell me how I can post them to be seen.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #27
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Here's the biggest I could get master 2:

Old 10-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #28
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I used purple glue sticks when I did mine, they work great.
I made coasters once, too. A bunch of them. I used those glass picture coasters and made inserts that were covered with cigar bands. They turned out awesome.
The only problem I could see is that the coasters had a slot in the side where you put the picture or whatever in them. If a sweaty glass or bottle was on the coaster, the water would run right inside and ruin the picture or whatever was inside.
So once I slid in the card with the bands glued on them, I sealed the seam that ran all around the edge of the coaster. I used 100% silicone, was very careful, and cleaned any excess off with a razor. I cleaned the whole deal with alcohol a couple times before I applied the silicone, too.
I can't find the pics of them, either.
Dude take another pic, I wanna see this chit.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #29
cricky101
Micro brew tester

RA

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the link. Do you have any pics of that ottoman? It sounds really cool and I like the idea of multi-layers.
I'll try to get a pic of it for you. Hmm. Wonder what the conversation with the girlfriend will be like as I'm taking pictures of the foot stool ...
Old 10-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #30
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
I'll try to get a pic of it for you. Hmm. Wonder what the conversation with the girlfriend will be like as I'm taking pictures of the foot stool ...
Tell her you want to post it on that interior decorating forum you frequent.
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #31
Lonely Raven

LOL, another outburst of laughter at work. You guys are going to get me in trouble.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
I swear, I've got to do everything! I find all your threads now I'm posting your old stationary pics.

Master 1 is 4.46 MB 3888x2592
Master 2 is 10.1 MB 3807x2592

I can't post due to the size. PM me your home email address and I'll email them to you or tell me how I can post them to be seen.
Those are quadrant pics of the whole board. I did a whole bunch of those. I found the thread at pvff, but all the links are broken because I abandoned that internet account when I moved.
I'm not sure if I have the board anymore, I think I threw it out when I moved.
I'll send you my email in a minute.
You don't have the stationary, do you?
I know I have all the originals of this stuff, I'll just have to dig a bit and I can't do it right now.

I found the pics of the coasters.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #33
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

wow where to start OK yea I am using normal school glue dries clear. I put some glue on the back spread it out all over very thin and stick it then wipe and press down with wet cloth to clean excess then dry with a dry cloth. it has proven to be a pain but if I was not so neat with the glue it would be faster but messier. I love the other cigar pic very nice and shows me I need to stop worrying about seeing the main part of the band and make sure i leave no blank space.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #34
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

SWMBO (The wife) says for projects like these, there is somethng called "Mod Podge" available at Hobby Lobby. You place the bands where you want them, brush it on, and it glues them to the medium (canvas, wood, etc). It goes on cloudy, but dries clear. Once that dries completely, use a Polyurethene coating to make it waterproof.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #35
thechrisdotcom

Trading: (2)
thechrisdotcom has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonw560 View Post
SWMBO (The wife) says for projects like these, there is somethng called "Mod Podge" available at Hobby Lobby. You place the bands where you want them, brush it on, and it glues them to the medium (canvas, wood, etc). It goes on cloudy, but dries clear. Once that dries completely, use a Polyurethene coating to make it waterproof.
Interesting, I wonder if it would work on coasters. Be a lot of work since coasters are thicker and bigger.

Thanks for the tips!
thechrisdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #36
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

She says try the mod podge with he coasters. She has no idea how well they'll adhere wih it. Might be too thick, she's not sure. Probably try something small to see how they adhere before you attempt the table. And let her (me) know how it works.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #37
cricky101
Micro brew tester

RA

Quote:
It's kind of tough to photograph the "layers" but here are a couple. They were taken with my cell phone camera, so the quality is pretty bad.

They are mostly older bands I got on ebay. I used a couple large cigar box inserts along the bottom, too.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:27 AM   #38
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

some updated pics yea it is going to take me forever

Old 10-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #39
pennjones
amateur afficionado!

First Name: Brad
Trading: (12)
Punch
pennjones is on a distinguished road

Looks awesome. I've been trying to figure out what to do with my bands as well. Something like this might be the ticket!
pennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #40
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

Try the mod podge my wife told me about. You basically place your bands where you want them, then paint over them (carefully) with the stuff. It goes on cloudy, but dries clear. You'll have to brave Hobby Lobby, though. Or any other craft store.