Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #961
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
Nightcap is a good place to start for Latakias, its found pretty much everywhere and is a solid blend. The Frog Mortons are also good places to get started for that.

As for VaPers, Escudo is probably the best for just trying them to see if you like em. One of the most consistent VaPers and found dang near everywhere.

Straight Virginias are tricky. Theres so much diversity amongst them that just because you don't like one type of virginia, doesn't mean you won't like another(take myself for example: I can't stand lemon/bright VAs, have grown into orange/red VAs, and absolutely love dark stoved VAs). If theres any particular blends I'd say are good indications of what VAs have to offer I'd say McClelland's yearly Christmas Cheer(almost always a solid middle of the road choice and pretty tasty) and Dunhill Flake as the two stand out blends.

Aromatics tend to be a dime a dozen, but Lane 1-Q and BLWB/Burley Light Without a Bite are some solid choices to start on down that road that can be found easily.

Pete, if you'd like I can take you on in the Pipe NST and send you a good smac--errr, number of samples to try.
That'd be great Bear! Although I don't have much stock to send you much in return. If you're still up for it I'll head over to that thread and see what we can do.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #962
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtofire14 View Post
I'm wondering what are the good "basic blends" that all new pipe smokers should try/start with to guide them in the direction of what they like. I have been watching the latest purchase thread getting ideas but I figured I'd also ask the almighty experts.

I've got two blends right now, a virginia blend from my local pipe shop that is blended by the owner, nice, but pretty sweet. I also have a tin of Nightcap which I have really enjoyed so far. If anyone has some suggestions I really appreciate it.
Basic blends? How about my favorite blends? Hmm, depends on the day. I have tried literally, hundreds of blends. There are some that I keep around to smoke. Not all are presently open, but enough are. Of them all, my go to tobaccos are Gawith & Hoggarth Louisiana Flake and Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake.

Aromatic - CAO Sweet Vanilla Honeydew mixed 50/50 with McClelland 5100, Two Friends Celtic Mist. Gawith & Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake

Virginia - Dunhill Flake, McClelland 5100, 2000, 2010, 2035, Samuel Gawith Full VA Flake, Gawith & Hoggarth Bright CR Flake, Astley's 109, McClelland Christmas Cheer, Rattrays Marlin Flake, Old Gowrie, Dan Hmborger Veermaster,

VaPers (Virginia/Perique Blends) - Rattray's Hal 'O the Wynd, Escudo, Esoterica Dorchester, Robert McConnell Scottish Flake, Gawith & Hoggarth Louisiana Flake, Samuel Gawith St. James Flake, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake, Cornell & Diehl 417P Night Train

English Blends (blends with varying amounts of Latakia) - Cornell & Diehl Bow-Legged Bear, Pirate Kake, Gawith & Hoggarth Mixture #12, McClelland Frog Morton, (used to have a bunch more, but haven't been smoking these much, so it is only these couple that remained in my rotation), McClelland 2020

Others that don't fit one of these categories - McClelland 2050, 2025, Esoterica Stonehaven

Peace of the Lord be with you.[/quote]
Old 03-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #963
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Well my wife got me a pipe for an anniversary gift. Seems I relight it a lot. Is there a point were you are relighting too much?
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #964
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Only if the pipe is getting too hot. Typically when you get started it takes awhile to get used to the cadence so the baccy will go out fairly often. You'll eventually get used to it, but it takes practice. Also if its about to go out, but not quite out, try tamping while drawing on it, that can sometimes get you a full relight without touching the matches/lighter. Oh, and the baccy always plays a big part in how much it goes out. If its too wet, it won't want to burn and will go out all the time.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #965
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

I'm not an experienced pipe smoker as I have just started, but I have found the different threads here, and also the different questions asked throughout THIS thread. I have also found youtube quite helpful with ideas and tips on how to pack and light different pipes, and different types of tobacco. It really helps being able to actually see someone do it.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #966
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Thanks I'll give YouTube a try. The wet tobacco is probably true too as I bought it last night from a jar they keep near the door and it's very humid here.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #967
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Well my wife got me a pipe for an anniversary gift. Seems I relight it a lot. Is there a point were you are relighting too much?
No
Old 03-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #968
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Quote:
Only if the pipe is getting too hot. Typically when you get started it takes awhile to get used to the cadence so the baccy will go out fairly often. You'll eventually get used to it, but it takes practice. Also if its about to go out, but not quite out, try tamping while drawing on it, that can sometimes get you a full relight without touching the matches/lighter. Oh, and the baccy always plays a big part in how much it goes out. If its too wet, it won't want to burn and will go out all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtofire14 View Post
I'm not an experienced pipe smoker as I have just started, but I have found the different threads here, and also the different questions asked throughout THIS thread. I have also found youtube quite helpful with ideas and tips on how to pack and light different pipes, and different types of tobacco. It really helps being able to actually see someone do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
No
Lots of good stuff here. Wet tobacco means lots of relights. I like the idea of "cadence," never called it that before, but each tobacco (and then humidity in that tobacco) play a roll in how to keep it smoldering enough to stay lit - and then also how many lights you will need even if you find that "cadence."

I personally like flakes, but how dry they are and how much I rub them out will dictate the puff rate (cadence) of my smoke with each of them.

Each of your pipes will smoke differently too.

All this plays into this hobby. You'll get a feel for it.

I will admit a cigar is much easier for the puff rate is immediately noticeable. With a pipe, it is more subtle.

Enjoy it and be patient.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #969
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Well that's great advice but it begets another question. What do you mean by "how much I rub them out"?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #970
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Well that's great advice but it begets another question. What do you mean by "how much I rub them out"?
Flake tobaccos are whole leaves stacked on top of eachother and pressed then cut into thin slices, these slices can either be folded and stuffed into your pipe or rubbed out and broken apart and then packed into your pipe. When you rub out a flake/coin you can leave it fairly rough in what would be called a broken flake(ie large chunks still in a flake) with a light rubbing out or you can give them a full rubbing out which will leave it as almost a ribbon cut.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #971
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
There is some tobacco that comes in what is referred to as a ribbon cut and is the form most pipe tobacco is sold in. Some pipe tobacco is made in a pressed form called a plug. Some is slices from a large pressed plug and is called a flakes. Still more tobacco comes as a rope where the tobacco leaves are spun together to make it, and it comes in various diameter ropes. Cut slices from rope may be called either coins or disks.

While you can buy some tobacco even in plug or rope form, what you will more often find is either flakes, disks, or coins. To smoke these forms, there are many method to get them into the pipe - I referred to that as "how much I rub them out." Some will take a flake/disk and fold it and stuff it into their pipe. Some will rub it out completely to basically a ribbon form. And of course, there are varying degrees in between.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #972
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Flake tobaccos are whole leaves stacked on top of eachother and pressed then cut into thin slices, these slices can either be folded and stuffed into your pipe or rubbed out and broken apart and then packed into your pipe. When you rub out a flake/coin you can leave it fairly rough in what would be called a broken flake(ie large chunks still in a flake) with a light rubbing out or you can give them a full rubbing out which will leave it as almost a ribbon cut.
When I was writing my response, DaBear hadn't posted his yet. We must have been writing at the same time.

He give more detail on the making of the "plugs" which can be cut into plug sizes to sell or slice into flakes.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #973
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
When I was writing my response, DaBear hadn't posted his yet. We must have been writing at the same time.
You all are running willy-nilly here.

Nice to see a reliable pipe smoking resource in a barn full of cigar smokers.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #974
TXSmokey
huh

First Name: Richard
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
TXSmokey is on a distinguished road

what should i do when the baccy tastes kinda watered down? for instance, the first tin of Mississippi river i had was great, but the second tasted watered down so to speak. I tried setting it out for about 10 minutes before smoking it but still got the same results. did i get a bad batch?
TXSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #975
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSmokey View Post
what should i do when the baccy tastes kinda watered down? for instance, the first tin of Mississippi river i had was great, but the second tasted watered down so to speak. I tried setting it out for about 10 minutes before smoking it but still got the same results. did i get a bad batch?
I am not sure what you mean by watered down. If you mean it tastes like there was not as much flavor as the first time you smoked it, that could come from a couple things.
You might have tried it the first time with a clean palate, and so the flavors were more intense the first time. What I mean by a 'clean palate' is just that, a palate that has not had a smoke in it for a few days, time to be 'clean'.
It might mean that you have tongue bite, where your tongue is sore, and therefore flavors are muted.
Or, the moisture content was different.

Peace of The Lord be with you.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #976
gravel
Still Washing My Back

First Name: Geoff
HdM
gravel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean by watered down. If you mean it tastes like there was not as much flavor as the first time you smoked it, that could come from a couple things.
You might have tried it the first time with a clean palate, and so the flavors were more intense the first time. What I mean by a 'clean palate' is just that, a palate that has not had a smoke in it for a few days, time to be 'clean'.
It might mean that you have tongue bite, where your tongue is sore, and therefore flavors are muted.

If I may add to the good Rev's post, time of day also affects your palate. Anytime you eat or drink you potentially alter your palate. Ambient temperatures also may affect flavor. If your smoke feel rushed, flavor will be compromised. Other environmental factors come into play as well with allergens being notable for me.

Everything tastes better on vacation or during a long relaxed weekend.

Edit: Per the thread - been smoking pipes since 2002.
gravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #977
TXSmokey
huh

Montecristo

Quote:

i'm pretty sure it wasn't tongue bite, but i'm gonna try not smoking for a few days and trY again.
Thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #978
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSmokey View Post
i'm pretty sure it wasn't tongue bite, but i'm gonna try not smoking for a few days and trY again.
Thanks
Do you smoke cigars?

I ask for it brings up something I thought about later. If I smoke a cigar and then smoke my pipe, the pipe always tastes flat. Cigar smoke is much stronger (even from mild cigars) and while you may not notice it, leaves a finish that lasts a long time in the mouth.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #979
TXSmokey
huh

Montecristo

that may be it. so far it's only happened with Mississippi river and a couple aromatics
Thanks
Old 09-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #980
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I have a question...I'm fairly new to pipes as I smoke them only occasionally but want to get more into it. I saw these pipes on the 'bay that are carved from pear tree root by a craftsman in Poland. Question: Does anyone know how pear tree root compares to briar?