Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 11-24-2009, 06:11 AM   #1
Joseywales

Default Let's try this: What air filter are you using?

I know the rule is spend money on sticks, not tricks. But my thought is this. If I'm going to spend money on cigars and humi products, I'd like to able to enjoy them year round. I have a 400 sqf room that is perfect, but I don't like the smell of stale smoke. I wouldn't even smoke in my garage without some type of filtration.

I researched the Purifan a bit more and am not convinced it's what they claim it is. I would certainly like to hear from anyone who has firsthand knowledge.

Has anyone tried the various HEPA filters and have they worked. I'm looking in the $400-500 range. Sun-pure SP 20 looks like a decent option and I spoke with them last night. I know everyone is a salesman, but he claimed that it would change the air 8 times per hour in that room easily. He said I'd see the cigar smoke off the end of the cigars, but pretty much after that it would be gone. It would not make it to the curtains, etc.

Over time, I will change out to a leather couch, hardwood floor, etc. But will always want air control because I don't want to wallow in smoke.

1 - Am I alone in this feeling?

2 - Has anyone had success with air filters?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Let's try this: What air filter are you using?

I just installed a Trion SE800 in my smoking room. It's a commercial unit but I was tired of fckin around with little "air purifiers" that couldn't handle the smoke.
Most air cleaners are just that: air cleaners. They won't remove/filter smoke. What you really need is some way to get the smoke out of the room, such as a powerful bathroom-type exhaust fan (I had no option for this, therefore had to spend the $$$ for the SE800). There will still be smell once the smoke is out of the room, then the air cleaner will apply.
Look at what BPA has to offer. This is where I got mine and they were great to work with.
http://www.breathepureair.com/commer...ke-eaters.html
Old 11-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I've had this same concern and question!!!

Thanks for starting this Tread!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Joseywales

It just seems to me that the environment in which one smokes, is as important as the cigar itself. I sit on my deck with some wine or beer and it's very relaxing. I would like to relax and enjoy indoors as well. I saw one guy with his mancave in his garage. And it was quite nice!

Parshooter, that's a good lead. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but it might come down to that at some point.

As I research this, I am learning a lot about the UV bulbs and how killing germs is what "kills" smoke. I can also tell you there are a lot of medicine man air purifiers out there.
Air-purifier-power seems to be an objective third party reviewer. I didn't see your Trion on there, but I would believe your experience, since cigar smoke is taking the test to a higher level. Most purifiers seem to work on mild smoke, odors, allergans, etc.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

Bolivar

There are many "air purifiers" out there. Ionizers are probably the best. These will NOT clear smoke out of the room, only clean dirty air. I have one from Sharper Image that works great, once the smoke is gone from the room.
Before I installed the Trion, I did test a Clean Air machine out. I set it on 2500 square feet mode (my room is only about 250 sf), turned the fan on high, and lit a cigar. I could smell the ionizer working, but the smoke was lingering, and drifting out of the room into the house. The small fan on the back (the unit is only 12" x 12" x 9") was not strong enough to pull in the smoke. Once I got the smoke out of the room, via open window, the unit worked great in cleaning the air.
My point being, it's pretty much a 2-step process (unless you go with a machine like the Trion), you have to get the smoke out of the room, then clean the air.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
Joseywales

I had a lenghty discussion with a doctor last night, who has allergies, etc. He, too, was talking about a 2 step process.

Allerair 4000 (without the UV bulb), is probably the best route to go to attempt and getting a 2 for 1. It has a pre-filter, a HEPA filter, and 12 pound carbon filter. (16-18 pound of carbon would probably be best). Looks like R2D2 and it would turn my 400sqf room 6 times in an hour (8x would be better). Although he was selling a different ($500) used unit for $140, he felt the Allerair would do the trick and practically offered to give one to me. Still, it's $330 in filters to get it up an running.

Still, any recommendations you see don't really take into consideration cigar smoke. And it is a different animal. I tend to agree more that you need to remove as much of it as possible, before trying to treat it. I'm not big on removing odors. I want to prevent them.

we bought our house, the original owner had smoked in it for 13 years. I rented two commercial ionizers and locked the house down for 48 hours. I periodically returned to the house to reloacte the units and it actually worked pretty well. 3 years later, we only smell it on the worst of humid days. He smoked a lot in the basement and with the open rafter ceiling that smoke had to infest the fiberglass insulation. Other than removal, there's not much you can do about that.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseywales View Post

As I research this, I am learning a lot about the UV bulbs and how killing germs is what "kills" smoke. I can also tell you there are a lot of medicine man air purifiers out there.
The bolded intrigues me, what kind of research points to that? My instincts tell me it approaches quackitude, but I am a cynical man. I use an exhaust fan in my man cave, but would like to supplement or replace the need for it in the winter so I don't flush nice heated air $ out to the frigid wasteland.
Considering smoke isn't 'alive' I don't know what a short burst of uv light is going to have on it. I am certain that UV sterilization works for organisms, but pushing it to "kill" smoke seems a stretch.
Tobii pointed me to these units, which seem like a decent cleaner for the money (which is more than I can afford right now anyway, so the point is fairly moot) but they do seem to work well, and are based on a fairly popular platform from Toshiba, as I recall my google-fu told me.
http://www.rabbitair.com/minusa2-spa...-purifier.aspx
Old 11-25-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
Joseywales

It's amazing how 5 minutes to sit and think, without the chatter of the kids or the Mrs., can produce ideas. As I ran through a fan plan in my head, I realized that cutting the wall is necessary. So, I'd better be real sure about where we're going to be sitting, etc. The closer to the fan, blah, blah, blah.

Well, my couch and TV are in the only space they can be, which leaves us sitting directly next to the closet. I could cut a hole in the closet wall and place a fan directly above our sitting area. Run an insulated duct across the top of the closet, then through the outside wall (about 8 foot run). In fact, when smoking alone, I'd be sitting directly underneath the fan. I had previously considered removing the closet, for more room space, and if I ever did that I would just cover the duct with a soffit.

Guess who's drivng the 5 minutes to the local Grainger today, kids an all! Need an adequate, relatively quiet, fan.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #9
Joseywales

Yes, if you go to the site listed above, they review two Rabbit units. Not bad, for a 200sqf room, but mine's twice the size. The site rates them higher, but I want 7-8 turnovers per hour.

I agree about the UV on smoke, as I have learned more overnight. I got bad info from a filter salesman on the UV. Carbon is what will filter out the smoke. I knew that smoke actually attaches itself to bulbs rather quickly, so I guess it makes sense to remove the UV from the equation.

Last edited by Joseywales; 11-25-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:05 AM   #10
Joseywales

If I can economically remove the air with a fan, I will look at smaller air purifiers to remove any residual. But honestly, if the fan does its job there shouldn't be any. Like I said, I can smell a mouse fart at 100 yards, so if there's residual, I'll know it.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #11
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

So I am in the same situation. room is approx 13x16 or around 200sqft/ It is in the basement and I would like to not have to remodel to be able to smoke down there.

There is a suspended ceiling so the Trion 400/800 seems to be a great idea. BUT i like the looks / profile of the Toshiba mentioned above. I am leaning towards the Trion though since functionality is more important.

Anyone who actually uses these units have any input? Specifically does the Trion actually remove the smoke and smell while smoking. What about the Toshiba..

Thanks for the input..
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseywales View Post
If I can economically remove the air with a fan, I will look at smaller air purifiers to remove any residual. But honestly, if the fan does its job there shouldn't be any. Like I said, I can smell a mouse fart at 100 yards, so if there's residual, I'll know it.
if you are that sensitive to the smell I dont think that you are ever going to be happy with any air purifiers, I have a pretty strong window fan in my smoking room and a Hunter hepa air filter with an ionizer and you will still smell the stale smoke the next day (running the fan all night) the smoke particulate gets into the carpet, walls etc.. an ozone machine would get the smell out but I dislike that smell way more than the stale smoke just my
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Considering smoke isn't 'alive' I don't know what a short burst of uv light is going to have on it. I am certain that UV sterilization works for organisms, but pushing it to "kill" smoke seems a stretch.
If I had to guess, it's possible that the UV light is breaking down the odiferous (you don't get to use that word often) compounds into something that either doesn't smell or smells less vile. UV light does a pretty good job of energizing molecules, thus leading to chemical breakdowns or skin cancer.

Edit: After writing this I checked out my sources (Wikipedia) and they back me up. Check it out here. It's under the heading of air purification
Old 01-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #14
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
So I am in the same situation. room is approx 13x16 or around 200sqft/ It is in the basement and I would like to not have to remodel to be able to smoke down there.

There is a suspended ceiling so the Trion 400/800 seems to be a great idea. BUT i like the looks / profile of the Toshiba mentioned above. I am leaning towards the Trion though since functionality is more important.

Anyone who actually uses these units have any input? Specifically does the Trion actually remove the smoke and smell while smoking. What about the Toshiba..

Thanks for the input..
I've been using the Trion 800 for about 6 weeks now. It works well at filtering the smoke. Where are you in Ohio? I'm in Columbus, if you want to see it in action, let me know, Marc.