Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
JKim

Default AVO - 77th Anniversary

I posted this review on 8/29/2007

------------------------

Gerry (GAW) sent me a couple of these elusive cigars to try. These are the celebration cigars for Avo Uvezian's 77th Birthday in 2003. These were blended the year following the AVO 22s. I've been looking forward to smoking one of these for awhile now.

I received these last Saturday (8/25/07). After a short rest of 3 days, I decided to light one up last night since I was heading out to Highland Cigar.

Here is a picture of the pair Gerry sent me.

Frontmark/Vitola/Size: AVO 77
Toro - 50 x 6.5

Wrapper: ??

Binder: Proprietary

Filler: ??

Local / Online Sources: Limited Production cigar from 2003 that is not available at any retailers that I know.

First Impression: The wrapper looks and smells simply amazing. The aroma reminds me of the LE5s that I have remaining with lots of sweet cocoa/cinammon and tobacco. I spent a few minutes taking in the aroma before lighting this one. The wrapper is a lighter hue of brown than the LE5. There are several veins in the wrapper, but the construction is flawless.

Prelight Draw: The Pre-light draw was a little on the easy side, just how I prefer it when I plan on sipping a cigar.

Light: Clipped with a double-guillotine toasted the foot and took the first draw.

Pairing - Warres Otima 20 Year Tawny

Smoking the Cigar: The first draw hit me with pleasant tobacco and light cinammon spices. This cigar does not produce alot of smoke and starts on the mild side. This cigar settles in a rich creamy and nutty flavor profile somewhere between the LE-5s and AVO 22's that I'd smoked. There is the slightest hint of sweet spices when smoked is blown out the nose. This cigar is sublime almost intoxicating. It was easy to get lost in the cigar forgetting about my surroundings.

The cigar maintained this profile throughout. Into the second third, I picked up nutty flavors that I could feel myself trying to chew to get more of the flavors. This cigar does not produce alot of smoke when sipping but when I gave the cigar a hard draw, I found myself lingering in the smoke pouring out of my mouth enjoying the aroma of the smoke after taking in the flavors. This cigar burned flawlessly. I'd find myself looking at the burn every once in awhile to find it burning even and true. No touch-ups or re-lights required.

Ash: Ash was a light gray almost white that held solid.

Conclusions/Comments: This is a amazing example of an AVO Limited Edition Cigar. I wouldn't find finding a box somewhere. We'll see.

My Scale for rating is as follows:
Appearance: 1-10
Construction: 1-10
Burn: 1-10
Taste: 1-10
Overall Experience: 1-60

For this cigar:
A- 9
C- 10
B- 10
T- 9
O- 58

For a total score of: 96
Old 10-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
BillyCigars

Default Re: AVO - 77th Anniversary

Fantastic review!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
Jay Hemingway
I know because of KRS1

Trading: (7)
LFdC
Jay Hemingway will become famous soon enough

just recieved one of these from a generous BOTL. never had one, looking forward to it though.
Jay Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
GrtndpwrflOZ
Just call me OZ

First Name: Brian
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
GrtndpwrflOZ is on a distinguished road

I have a couple of these gifted to me by Drifty (where is Drifty?) that I have yet to smoke. Your review makes me want to go home and smoke one.

Thanks

OZ
GrtndpwrflOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
php007
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (35)
php007 will become famous soon enough

Great review, these have become amazing with age. To bad there are only 14 to a box.
php007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
GAW
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (9)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
GAW is on a distinguished road

Well to up-date Ji did find a few boxes of these - have been hoarding my box and smoking them sparingly - they just keep getting better - wish there were more around!
GAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
JKim

Jerry... my man... Glad to see you made it over here. I'm afraid to keep looking because I know these aren't getting any cheaper. I know I have enough to tide me over for a bit. I do smoke these sparingly :]. But it may be time to revisit to honor your appearance here.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:31 PM   #8
JKim

I revisited this cigar tonight. It delivered the same as my original review but I feel a bit overwhelmed by the richness of this cigar. Very intoxicating. This may be the nicotine talking, but WOW.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
GAW
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (9)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
GAW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKim View Post
I revisited this cigar tonight. It delivered the same as my original review but I feel a bit overwhelmed by the richness of this cigar. Very intoxicating. This may be the nicotine talking, but WOW.
My exact experience a few weeks ago as I smoked this cigar Ji - I was just constantly amazed with the deep, resonant flavors that developed. I didn't find it super buzz strong either! Makes one wonder how the next one could be as great.

Jerry
GAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:54 AM   #10
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

Nice review Ji!
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote