Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
rck70

Default Anyone in Sales

What do you sell?
Any good stories?
Techniques?

I sell Food to restaurants.....I eat to much!!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone in Sales

I work for a college here in Minnesota. I sell the programs to potential students... I should read more.
Gophernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Ace$nyper

I've got the chance to do sales at my old job.

It's hard, I was dealing with more well off and older elderly people buying furniture. I guess you could say the 101 lesson is take your time, make them feel good about the buy, always use the floor model *if you can* to show and explain things.

It was different and I wasn't bad at all, I wasn't a born sales man I know that much.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough

I sold in the medical field for 25 years until I got cancer and had to take 3 years off. I am not technically in sales currently, I am a consultant. However, I believe that everyone is in sales regardless of your title, and I function under that philospohy at my work everyday. All of my sales skills are transferrable since sales is relationship driven, not $$$ driven. People hate to be sold, but they love to buy, and they will buy from someone they like, know and trust before they buy based on $$ alone.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

I work for a roofing manufacturer and while my title is "sales support", what I do is sales. To the distributors, to the homeowners, to the contractors... And as BF said, it's all about relationships. Make a new friend, make a sale.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

I'm a Realtor. I sell houses

I've been in a lot of houses some REALLY nice and some DUMPS. I once went in a house that was SO gross that I was picking bugs off of me for the next couple of hours. No one was living there but there was an open window upstairs with a vine growing into the house through it.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
rck70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna View Post
I sold in the medical field for 25 years until I got cancer and had to take 3 years off. I am not technically in sales currently, I am a consultant. However, I believe that everyone is in sales regardless of your title, and I function under that philospohy at my work everyday. All of my sales skills are transferrable since sales is relationship driven, not $$$ driven. People hate to be sold, but they love to buy, and they will buy from someone they like, know and trust before they buy based on $$ alone.
Good points, i have been selling for 8yrs now, love it. People definitely buy from People not $$$, but i have noticed a little bit of a change in my industry due to the economy. People are definitely looking at price as long as they don't compromise quality.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna View Post
I believe that everyone is in sales regardless of your title, and I function under that philospohy at my work everyday. All of my sales skills are transferrable since sales is relationship driven, not $$$ driven. People hate to be sold, but they love to buy, and they will buy from someone they like, know and trust before they buy based on $$ alone.
Although some people still buy based on the $$ so I would say 'most' buy from their friends. It's absolutely relationship driven. And I'm friends with all of my clients and it's been a great thing.

So I'm in sales. Started when I was 11 years old going door to door pre-selling Olympic pins in '84 so I could get the money to order in bulk so I could get one pin (from each company from which I ordered). Worked in a movie theater in high school 'selling' popcorn and 'upselling' candy and drinks. Worked as a fundraiser at UCLA during & after college a bit. Worked as an indie film distributor 'selling' our cr@p movies to art theaters across the country during a little break in college. Now I'm in sales as a stock trader and have been trading for almost 6 years now and been at the same firm for 11 years.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
Ironfreak

I just started in insurance sales. (Personal lines.. Auto/homeowners/renters/etc.)

I come from a wholesale mortgage sales background, but after I was laid off, there was a need to look to a different industry.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I started my sales career as a copier salesman. I had a ton of experience in management so, they made me a major accounts rep. I think having no sales experience helped me a great deal. I never looked at how much money I might make from a certain "deal" but looked at how I could help my customers save money and run their businesses better. I do IT consulting now and have the same approach. If you're completely honest and deliver what you promise, you will do well. A couple books I recommend are:

"High Trust Selling" by Todd Duncan (all his books are good)
"The Trusted Advisor" by David H. Maister, Charles H. Green, and Robert M. Galford

Some great cold calling techniques are in "Getting to VITO" by Anthony Parinello

MCS
MajorCaptSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

15 years in timeshare for me.

I've learned that there are two groups in every sales organization; the negative ones who feel like they're always getting screwed, and the positive ones who make 2-3 times as much as the negative ones.

The attitude you bring to work is the attitude you will convey to your customer and will determine whether you will be successful or not, with no exceptions. Nobody likes a negative person.

If you're gonna talk **** about your company, your company will treat you like **** until you leave. If you aren't happy, do everyone a favor and leave.

Be careful about who you think is your friend. They might use it against you to promote themselves when the opportunity arises. Keep your mouth shut whenever possible.

Start working on your attitude on your way to work and you'll be almost there when you walk in the door. Metallica on full volume and Monster energy drink is good, especially past 40 years of age.

Leave your work problems at work and your home problems home.

Stay humble, grateful and helpful if everything works out and you are kicking ass. Nobody likes a showoff.

Never think you are irreplaceable, you are and probably by someone younger and more hungry than you.

Always remember to reward yourself and your family when you overachieve and don't forget to take needed short breaks and vacations to recharge.

Don't buy crappy cigars when you are having a tough month.

Last edited by floydpink; 12-04-2008 at 07:07 PM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
Vitis

Im a sales manager for a wine distributer. Before that I was a rep on the streets pimping the vino myself.

~Vitis