Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #121
EEE

Default Re: blind 10 spot review(s)

Andy #10 - cuba aliados corojo dbl maduro

Mark #9 - CAO Black VR
Old 08-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #122
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEE View Post
Andy #10 - cuba aliados corojo dbl maduro

Mark #9 - CAO Black VR

Really? Man, that thing was nasty. Damn...that's 2 strikes for me.

CAO needs to work on their cigars instead of the presentation of their cigars.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #123
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
Really? Man, that thing was nasty. Damn...that's 2 strikes for me.

CAO needs to work on their cigars instead of the presentation of their cigars.

That's what I thought about the VR as well.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #124
EEE

Hmmmmmm that sounds like the same sentiment I have towards Gurkha. How anyone smokes cigars from a guy that doesn't smoke his own cigars is beyond me.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #125
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hmmmmmm that sounds like the same sentiment I have towards Gurkha. How anyone smokes cigars from a guy that doesn't smoke his own cigars is beyond me.

Every Gurkha I've tried have tasted like dirt. I'm sure there's a good Gurkha out there, but I've yet to try it. I don't want to try out 15 different Gurkhas just to find one good one.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #126
lou2row

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post

Every Gurkha I've tried have tasted like dirt. I'm sure there's a good Gurkha out there, but I've yet to try it. I don't want to try out 15 different Gurkhas just to find one good one.
Cmon Andy...........

five blind Gurkhas, five blind others.

You got this down to a science, don't quit now!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #127
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou2row View Post
Cmon Andy...........

five blind Gurkhas, five blind others.

You got this down to a science, don't quit now!

You offering the challenge?

Insert quote here.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #128
EEE

Ohhhhhhh snap!

LOL
Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #129
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Ohhhhhhh snap!

LOL

Insert quote here.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #130
EEE

Quote:
It was definitely a dye job on this stick.
Andy - regarding dyeing (sp?) their sticks.

I said I would ask them, and I did. Because this was the first time I had ever heard someone stating that they had color residue on their hands from a PI/Reyes product I made sure that they (Reyes peeps) knew what was going on here - as far as blind reviews. I did this so they didn't think some random person out there was out there making stuff up because they don't like the line.

Anyway, I was given a very matter of fact, friend to friend, response that Reyes does not, has not, and will not dye their leaves. Rolando Sr. is absolutely against it. They asked if you had any pictures of your fingers, which I didn't think you did. Not that they thought you were lying but wanted to see what it looked like.

They couldn't think of why this happened but (as your review stated) it had so many different issues going on with it - they think you got a different stick. I took that as them saying that the blind, 3 fingered guard, at their facility mistook a wrapper for toilet paper and you were smoking a crap leaf. lol

While I will admit that you were able to call out most of the Reyes products I never noticed any of the cigars (with you or Mark) that had even near the issues that the cigar in question had. Something was seriously amiss with that one.

Long story short - they don't dye their leaves. I trust their answer to me and I hope that that can stand as some sort of comfort on your end.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #131
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Long story short - they don't dye their leaves. I trust their answer to me and I hope that that can stand as some sort of comfort on your end.
No offense to Reyes, but how many manufacturers are going to actually tell a customer that they dye their wrappers. I know Rocky Patel dyes some of his maduros, but has he actually come out and admitted it? (Serious question. I don't know the answer). Anybody got any info on this (how many manufacturers actually make dyed maduros vs. how many actually admit it)?

Insert quote here.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #132
lou2row

Quote:

You offering the challenge?
pm me your addy.
EEE, you want in?

edit; don't know if this forum has that feature. Just in case; lou2row AT hotmail. Borndead has herfed with me before, he can vouch for me (I think).
Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #133
EEE

Andy - understand being leary of the response. Admittedly i'm not a consumer for them. While I don't work for them I do sell their cigars on the side. I have hung out with these guys on numerous occasions. They have been very frank with things that go on in the industry. If you want to talk in more detail I would be more than happy to talk one on one with you.

As far as Rocky.... Yeah, you don't have to be an insider to question some of his stuff. How is he getting 15 year+ tobacco when the Boom was going on and even the big guys were struggling to get leaf in?

I don't want to start any conspiracy theories here though.....
Old 08-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #134
EEE

Lou

I don't have anything against the taste of Gurkhas - it is much more of a personal issue of someone selling me something that they don't have any first hand knowledge of.

I will smoke dyed Rocky's because I see him smoking the same cigar. I might laugh at some of the marketing but as long as he is smoking those sticks I can at least try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou2row View Post
pm me your addy.
EEE, you want in?

edit; don't know if this forum has that feature. Just in case; lou2row AT hotmail. Borndead has herfed with me before, he can vouch for me (I think).
Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #135
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
I will smoke dyed Rocky's because I see him smoking the same cigar. I might laugh at some of the marketing but as long as he is smoking those sticks I can at least try it.
I was a big RP fan when I first got serious about cigars. I still like them from time to time, but I'm not obsessed with them like I was. I don't have a problem with dyed maduros, I smoke the Indian Tabac SF maduros a lot. I don't have a problem w/ them as long as the dye doesn't come off on my hands.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #136
GoldnGT
Hibbidy Jibbidy

First Name: Michael
Trading: (2)
PL
GoldnGT is on a distinguished road

I knew that some of them were dyed, but had no problem with it (RP's) but overall I've always enjoyed a good RP cigar, but like Andy.. i'm not as huge into them as I once was.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #137
borndead1

Partagas

There are very few cigar makers that don't "enhance" their maduro wrappers in some way. I smoked a Padron 80th and my fingers looked like I ran out of toilet paper. Smoked an Anejo that did it too. On the other hand, I've smoked cheapo, pitch black bundle cigars that didn't stain my fingers.

I think it depends on the "dye recipe".

Also, I've found that some cigars will "absorb" some of the dye with time. La Floridita and El Mejor Espresso are 2 examples.

If'n it makes ya feel any better, they don't use shoe polish or anything to color the wrappers.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #138
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post

If'n it makes ya feel any better, they don't use shoe polish or anything to color the wrappers.

I figured they used something similar to food coloring. I'm sure it's safe to smoke, but then again...

Insert quote here.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #139
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

You guys do realize that the oils in tabacco, especially those in Maduroed leaves, can stain and impart color? Just because a leaf leaves a mark is no indication of dying.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #140
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:

My favorite Gurkha is the His Majesty's Limited Edition Royal Grand Centennial Gold Vintage Triple Ligero Anniversario Reserve Ancient Nepalese Titan Beast Warrior.

I've tried quite a few Gurkhas. The Expedition was a decent smoke, there was another one, I think Grand Reserve, in a Connecticut wrapper that was pretty good, and I smoked through a 5 pack of Centurian perfectos that I thought were pretty good smokes. Didn't like the Doble Maduro, the Royal Brigade, Nepalese Warrior, and there are a couple others I can't remember the names of.

My problem(s) with them are the inconsistent construction and flavor of the cigars, and, quite frankly, the hype. I hate hype. Make a GOOD, CONSISTENT cigar. I don't give a crap about the name on the band. I don't care what the box looks like. And I don't wanna see a ridiculous price tag either. A cigar that retails for $30 a stick? $40 a stick? $750 a stick? Who are you trying to fool? My mama didn't raise no sucka!