Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
alfredo_buscatti
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
alfredo_buscatti is on a distinguished road
Default Barling Pre-trans Stem Replacement

I bought this pipe knowing I might have to get a stem replacement; as it turns out the tenon is short, and it does.

I bought it from Marty Pulvers, and on my telling him that I meant to get a 2nd tier (he has three) replacement from George Dubos, which is $50.00 or twice the normal charge, who is Precision Pipe Repair, he said that he'd just recommend a $25.00 first tier replacement, that I didn't need the 2nd. My thinking was that I wanted to experience what a fine handcut stem was like; all the pipe gurus who smoke artisan pipes are always touting stem work as one of the most important ingredients of a well-made high-grade. As I don't own any high-grades, my thinking was that this was about the only way I could evaluate the high-grade stem-touters.

But Mr. Dubos didn't answer either of my emails. Any of you have luck in getting him to engage? Also, I still think that my thinking about the 2nd tier stem is accurate. Any thoughts on this?
alfredo_buscatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Wayne
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
OnePyroTec will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Barling Pre-trans Stem Replacement

After two tries, I would move on to someone else. I have had quick replies & service from Norwood on several occasions and there are several others to pick from who can do custom cut stems as well.

You can take a pre-formed stem and re-work it to smoke as well as a custom cut stem, but it won't "LOOK" as nice. If you value your own time, then a custom cut stem is the way to go IMHO because you will be money ahead with a better looking stem.

Now if you want to get real creative, Steve Norse has some cumberland blanks he got in a couple weeks ago. All you need to do is either add a delrin tenon or cut a tenon, fit & sand. They are pre-drilled & shaped @ only $15 each.
OnePyroTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
Bruce
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
Bruce is on a distinguished road

Try RonnieB at Nightowl Pipe Works. Does incredible work. I had a high grade S. Bang stem made by Ronnie after I broke the tenon and shattered the stem. I could not tell the difference. Plus he will custom tailor the bit to your preferences.
IMHO, better than George, and I had plenty of work done by George
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
gravel
Still Washing My Back

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (3)
HdM
gravel will become famous soon enough

Heya AB,

My understanding is George is easier to reach over the phone.
gravel is offline   Reply With Quote