Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 11-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
GhostRyder
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Sam
Trading: (2)
GhostRyder is on a distinguished road
Default Thanksgiving Dinner Wines

So I saw the Thanksgiving Dinner Beer thread but nothing about wine.

Any suggestions for types of wine to buy for Thanksgiving? My mom asked me to pick up the beer and wine, with no further guidance than that. She mentioned possibly a pair of reds and a pair of whites. Other than that... I'm SOL.

I'm a wine rookie--I spend most of my time with beer. However, I was thinking a Rieseling and a Viognier for the whites and a Pinot Noir and a Beaujolais Nouvea for the Reds. Thoughts?

Keep in mind I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing, so some help would be in order. The crowd I'd be purchasing for has roughly 50% that prefer whites and 50% that will drink and enjoy just about anything. Pretty easy crowd...

Thanks for the help,
Sam
GhostRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thanksgiving Dinner Wines

All good choices......and fine pairings with turkey....make sure the Reisling is DRY, otherwise too sweet for this meal
Old 11-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

If you're having turkey, you want something lighter, so no reds with big body like a cabernet sauvignon. It's not easy to find a cheap pinot noir, but there are some under $20 that are drinkable. Or you can ignore that movie Sideways and get a decent California merlot for maybe 10 bucks.

As for white, many people don't like the oak-y taste of chardonnay, so maybe a sauvignon blanc or an Italian white would be best for the novice. Pinot grigios are "hit-or-miss", as you can't tell if it is tart or sweet until you crack it. Now I've been selling the p!$$ out of a Castelvero Piedmonte Cortese which is spot on - fruity and clean, and neither too sweet or tart. A German riesling can also work, if you don't mind sweet, but they can be a bit costly. If you go this way, don't sweat the "early harvest/late harvest" crap too much - those Krauts are real anal about that stuff, but there's no good reason for you to be so.

Hope that helps a little.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

This is a wine we enjoy. I picked up a couple of bottles today.

2008 Fumé Blanc - Sonoma County [ $15 ]
Zesty flavors and aromas of orange blossom, grapefruit and lemon mingle with a subtle mineral note that is complemented by a lingering finish of guava and pineapple in the Ferrari-Carano 2008 Fumé Blanc. Aged partially in stainless steel and older French Oak gives this wine a crisp freshness and a subtle oak character that adds great complexity and depth.

newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote