Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #21
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone seriosuly looking at the new DROID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Very true. From what I'm reading however, the first "Droid" will be the only one for a while that has a physical keyboard, and thats one feature i'm not willing to give up...
My Tmobile G-1 rocks!!

I like that it's an open software source and when someone makes an application you don't always have to pay for it in the market. As soon as Android came out i jumped from windows quickly. It just wasn't for me.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #22
Resipsa

Interesting phone, but If the keyboard is as crippled as the early review
indicate this could be an enormous clunker. I'll hold my praise until I
see how the keyboard is
Old 10-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #23
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Interesting phone, but If the keyboard is as crippled as the early review
indicate this could be an enormous clunker. I'll hold my praise until I
see how the keyboard is
yeah... lets just say I'm not preordering it, I'm holding my $ until the local verizon store gets one I can spend 30 minutes playing with.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #24
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
YEP... they are pricey bastards. BUT, no other cell carrier just F*in WORKS nearly any place you go.....

Exactly
Old 10-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #25
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I would have switched to AT&T for the iPhone a long time ago if it weren't for their coverage. That said, I'm sticking with Verizon and can't wait to check out the Droid. Thanks for the review links!!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #26
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I'm hoping the droid turns out to being something that can rival the iphone. I want the iphone but not willing to switch from Verizon to AT&T due to coverage issues (I've had AT&T, and it doesn't compare to VZW in my area).

I'm going to wait to see how this phone does after a few months in the market. Might just wait for the Storm2 and stay with blackberry for another 2 years..
Old 10-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #27
Titan410
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Vince
Trading: (26)
Titan410 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
I would have switched to AT&T for the iPhone a long time ago if it weren't for their coverage. That said, I'm sticking with Verizon and can't wait to check out the Droid. Thanks for the review links!!
There are alot of us out there.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #28
mikeyj23
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
mikeyj23 will become famous soon enough

preordering at best buy today!
Posted via Mobile Device
mikeyj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #29
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road

(disclaimer: I've been a programmer for 30+ years, so take my geekiness into account.)

I have the Android G1 via T-Mobile. I've had a couple iPhones before and I love this thing. It's a LITTLE bit too slow but that's what I get for getting the first generation.

The lock-in of the iPhone was driving me crazy. All apps must come from their store. The functionality of just about everything was nice on it...except it's behavior as a phone.

The G1 is a very nice phone with buckets of applications available from it's "market" and elsewhere. I have a second web browser, a replacement for the contact management system, and all kinds of mindless time wasters. Not because the phone needed it but because the options are there to play with.

I'm very very happy with it.

Now, if I were gainfully employed I would probably jump on the Verizon "Droid" in a heartbeat. It's got the hardware keyboard (a MUST for ham-fisted people like me) in addition to the touch screen. Plus it's a faster thingie.

The Barnes & Noble e-book reader is based on the same software OS (which is what "Android" actually refers to) as are a number of upcoming devices.

Unfortunately, no, I don't get kickbacks from T-Mobile, Google, Verizon or Motorola.

Feel free to bug me if I can help.

o/

- M
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #30
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.

Uncle Owen, this R2 unit has a bad motivator.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #31
RJK18
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Rob
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
RJK18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
I've had my G1 for just over a year now and I love it. Between the touch screen and keyboard and the massive number of apps available, I have everything I need.

So, not looking at the droid, being on the wrong network and all, but fully supporting other Android/Google phones.
But the camara is a P.O.S.
RJK18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #32
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

ahhh.... today was FUN. Sauntered over to the Verizon store and did the obligatory touch and feel on both the Moto Droid and the HTC Eris. I'm extremely picky about my phones, so here's my thoughts as an android newbie. Overall, I just wish the two of them would have a child....

Droid Pros:
  • Hardware keyboard.
  • Fast CPU
  • Android 2.0
  • Latest google maps.
  • F*ING GORGEOUS 854×480 screen, amazingly crisp
  • Screen supports multi-touch
  • very "solid" feel.

Droid Cons:
  • Hardware keyboard SUCKS. IMPOSSIBLE to tell the difference between keys.
  • Android 2.0 is a "stock" android OS, needs a little refining.
  • "touch" buttons below the screen would be a lot easier if they were actual hardware buttons.
  • Default on screen portrait keyboard is useless. Other options exist on the marketplace however.
  • No navigation d-pad or trackball on the outside of the phone to make one-handed operation easier.
  • Heavy

Eris Pros:
  • HTC proprietary "Sense" user interface is a beautiful modification to the stock Android OS.
  • Smaller, more lightweight phone.
  • Hardware buttons below the screen.
  • Trackball below the screen. GREAT for one handed use.
  • "stock" On screen keyboard in portrait mode is AWESOME for one AND two handed use. It's similar to the layout on the blackberry pearl, a qwerty keyboard with half the keys and software to guess what you meant (qw er ty ui op).

Eris Cons:
  • No hardware keyboard.
  • Outdated and slow hardware. When it gets the upgrade to Android 2.0 (word is that it will), it's gonna be a SLOOOOOOW phone.
  • Screen res is "only" 320x480 (nice, but normal at this stage)

My final take?
Both are great phones for specific purposes. If speedy one handed navigation is what you want, the Eris kicks the Droid in the groin. But if a powerhouse of new features and do-all functionality is what you want, then the Droid wins out hands down. Major points would have gone to the Eris if it had come with better hardware that was not already outdated. Personally, I buy my phones to keep for a few years, so I will probably get the droid for two reasons:
  1. My patience with windows mobile has worn out. I don't have a year to wait for something better, and I think Android is my next OS, hands down. All the customizing of WM, none of the suck.
  2. I want my hardware to be FAST, so that it still is pleasurable to use a year from now.
For those two reasons, there's a damned good chance a Droid is in my future. But it's definitely not perfect, not by a long shot.

A few more resources for you guys:

Buying one of the new droids? It APPEARS that this will get you $50 off of it for the moment. (works for new AND existing VZW accounts)
http://phandroid.com/2009/11/06/buy-...nd-droid-eris/

New to the Android OS? Here's some great apps to get you started:
http://phandroid.com/2009/11/06/50-a...-droid-owners/

Last edited by spectrrr; 11-06-2009 at 10:38 PM.
spectrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:20 AM   #33
Resipsa

Quote:
[*]Screen supports multi-touch
are you sure about this? Technically yes, Android 2 supports multitouch, but as I understand the US version of the Droid doesn't have it.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...OSKH4ATMY32JVN

I think this really impacts the Droid as far as any gaming is concerned, as most of the best games need some kind of multi touch support on a touch screen, at least as far as I understand multitouch is concerned.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:51 AM   #34
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

I thought word on the street was that Verizon was getting the iPhone in 2010? Anybody have anymore info on this?

What impact will the new Droid and Eris have on Apple granting Verizon the iPhone contract?

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #35
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
I thought word on the street was that Verizon was getting the iPhone in 2010? Anybody have anymore info on this?

What impact will the new Droid and Eris have on Apple granting Verizon the iPhone contract?
None. It's the service providers (AT&T, Verizon, eta l.) that insist on exclusive deals, not the phone makers. Apple doesn't care what other phones Verizon sells.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #36
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

I have a droid (on it now) and am really digging it. Physical keyboard definetly has a learning curve, but the virtual one is better than I thought. The display is beautiful and text is crystal clear to read. The market is way behind the app store for apple, but it will continue to improve. I really like the android os and what it is capable of becoming. They really need to redo their media app tho.
Posted via Mobile Device
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #37
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
are you sure about this? Technically yes, Android 2 supports multitouch, but as I understand the US version of the Droid doesn't have it.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...OSKH4ATMY32JVN

I think this really impacts the Droid as far as any gaming is concerned, as most of the best games need some kind of multi touch support on a touch screen, at least as far as I understand multitouch is concerned.

HMMMmmm

Well no, I'm NOT entirely sure anymore... BUT here's what I know:

This video here CLEARLY shows that the Droid has multi-touch AND pinch and zooming capabilities.
http://phandroid.com/2009/11/03/moto...d-multi-touch/

Even the G1 had multitouch capabilities, BUT that section of the operating system code was commented out.

Theories are quite plentiful as to why the droid would or would not have it.... sadly many of them do not make ANY sense when reading the Motorola article that you provided.

The reviewer in that video clearly demonstrated that the Droid does support multi-touch (he also made comments about that in relation to his Droid on screen keyboard review in a different article). HOWEVER, he is using a pre-release version of the phone. It stands to reason that only 1 week before the launch, Verizon would have given him a normal version of the phone to test out.... but the long and short of it is, we won't have a definitive answer until someone takes a post 11/6 Droid off the Verizon shelves and puts the Picsay imaging application on it to try it out!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #38
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

I just can't see ever owning a phone made by motorloa again. All the one's I had in the past had problems. I like my Samsung Eternity, doesn't do much, but can do everything I want a phone to do and it's very reliable.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #39
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
I just can't see ever owning a phone made by motorloa again. All the one's I had in the past had problems. I like my Samsung Eternity, doesn't do much, but can do everything I want a phone to do and it's very reliable.
Ever have a Motorola StarTac? amazing phones (years and years ago)

NOW however..... :tpd... pretty shitty.... hope they have a winner here, although I would like to take the guy that designed the droid keyboard out back and have him shot in the jewels.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #40
Titan410
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Vince
Trading: (26)
Titan410 is on a distinguished road

I ditched my BB Curve and got the Droid Friday. Still putting it through its paces but so far I like it.
If you just need a no nonsense phone the BB was great.
I like gadgets so I went with the Droid. The keyboard isn't that bad. Not a BB, but not bad.