Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #21
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Back porch in the winter

Currently rolling with the outside firepit. If its cold we will layer up with a blanket. But thats pretty relaxing...
Old 11-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #22
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
I know ozone air purifiers have had some bad press, but they do a good job of killing smoke smell in rooms and on objects. If my garage was my only refuge, I would insulate, propane tank jeater (they are like $20-$30 I think), and put in an ozone air purifier if you're worried about smoke smell. If you're only going to be in the garage for one smoke, you might not even need to ventilate. More than one, I would crack the door at least.
I have an electric radient heater in my garage that I picked up on sale from Costco:

Works great at keeping me warm in the garage (when it's too windy and rainy to smoke outside). The catch is that I have so much stuff in my garage that the smoke settles into everything and hangs around. I have not smoked in my garage since last winter and you can still smell it... It does not bother me but my wife always brings it up

I need to try an Ozone Purifier to see if that helps. The other thing I do while smoking in the garage is cover up the air intake on our furnace so that the smoke does not get pulled into the house (I checked with the company who did some maintenance on the furnace and they said that covering up the intake would not hurt the furnace or cause a problem in our home).

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #23
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

GREAT THREAD!!!!!

I'm asking the same questions. We just bought a new house and IT HAS A GARAGE!!! It also has a storage shed in the back that I hope to turn into a manastery, but there's no power out there.

I've smoked a few times in the new garage. Last night there were 4 of us smoking with the garage cracked. I walked out this morning and the smoke smelled like a B&M!

I'm looking to get one of those heaters that mounts to the head of the propane tank, and just keep it near by me.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #24
polobear

Here in Northern Colorado, I use a backyard fire pit unless it's very windy or if precip is falling. In that case I use the garage, and I usually crack the door about a foot or so. I use a propane tank heater in the garage and have an electric space heater that I sometimes turn on when it's REALLY cold outside (< 10F). I also use a window well corrugated metal retainer to put on the back side of the firepit when it's very cold to try to direct some of the heat my way.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #25
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Good points about the garage. I have plenty of work I always need to get done in the garage. I can probably use the opportunity to smoke more in the winter while working on projects.

I do need a heater in my garage, though.... hmm, sounds like a Craigslist or Ebay special.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #26
nick2021
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (17)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
nick2021 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybob2k View Post
It's starting to get a little chilly here in the evenings, and I'm exiled to the back porch when I go to light up.

So, for the others that are in this same situation -

Propane patio heater or chiminea, and why is your choice better than the other?

Thanks for the advice.
I would think propane, never had a problem with them but that's just me
Old 11-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #27
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

I have a wife with a nose like a bloodhound when it comes to cigar smoke. In the winter I just open the garage door and set up a butterfly chair. The beverages I drink while smoking help to keep me warm.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #28
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
I have a wife with a nose like a bloodhound when it comes to cigar smoke. In the winter I just open the garage door and set up a butterfly chair. The beverages I drink while smoking help to keep me warm.
You're forgetting your audience. They are complaining it's too cold in Dallas/Ft Worth in winter to enjoy a smoke.

j/k...I love Texans. I even married one.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #29
klipsch

Quote:
I know ozone air purifiers have had some bad press, but they do a good job of killing smoke smell in rooms and on objects. If my garage was my only refuge, I would insulate, propane tank jeater (they are like $20-$30 I think), and put in an ozone air purifier if you're worried about smoke smell. If you're only going to be in the garage for one smoke, you might not even need to ventilate. More than one, I would crack the door at least.
I went through all of this in early January 2009 because I planned on smoking in my car and apartment (no longer in the car). A commercial grade Odor Free ozone generator solved the problem. I picked up the Villa 1000, because I rather have too much than too little. Does what it's supposed to...kills any and all odors, in my apartment or car.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #30
babybob2k
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Cory
Trading: (1)
babybob2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You're forgetting your audience. They are complaining it's too cold in Dallas/Ft Worth in winter to enjoy a smoke.
The jacket goes on when the temperature hits 65, and the sight of one snowflake causes 8 cities to shut down!!

My would be good for me alone, but I usually have friends over when I smoke. Too much crap in there and nowhere to sit.
babybob2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #31
Jenady

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I have two different propane heaters (one high and one low ). The first is a Mr Heater:

Then I also have a more traditional propane heater from Costco:

The tanks last me about 6 weeks or so with regular use. My deck is not covered so I use an outdoor umbrella to keep the rain off of me and in this case I only use the Mr. Heater.
+1 on the IR propane heaters. Wood fires are great but they require a lot more prep time. With the propane you are more willing to go out and light up both the heater and a smoke.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #32
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The jacket goes on when the temperature hits 65, and the sight of one snowflake causes 8 cities to shut down!!

My would be good for me alone, but I usually have friends over when I smoke. Too much crap in there and nowhere to sit.
Shoot, 65. I rarely set my thermostat over 65 in the winter.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #33
babybob2k
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Funny you should say that. We get sent sometimes in February to do disaster recovery testing in Chicago. My coworker knocked on my room door at the hotel and when I opened it said "Damn, I can feel your heater here in the hall. What do you have it set on?", to which I replied "Texas".

Anyway, I think I'm going to run to home depot this weekend and see if SWMBO will approve the purchase of one of those uprights.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #34
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Quote:

Quote:
Yes, I did forget......and, just for the record, the highest my thormostat goes in the winter, unless we have company that complains about the cold, is 67 (and that's just to keep the wife happy).
Old 11-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #35
Knip23
Keep It Simple

First Name: Destrey
Trading: (10)
HUpmann Army (Active)
Knip23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
GREAT THREAD!!!!!

I'm asking the same questions. We just bought a new house and IT HAS A GARAGE!!! It also has a storage shed in the back that I hope to turn into a manastery, but there's no power out there.

I've smoked a few times in the new garage. Last night there were 4 of us smoking with the garage cracked. I walked out this morning and the smoke smelled like a B&M!

I'm looking to get one of those heaters that mounts to the head of the propane tank, and just keep it near by me.
Hey Matt when you smoke in the garage with the door cracked try putting a box fan under the garage door with and board about the same size as the fan so that your pushing more air out than whats comeing in, thats what me and Tabb use to do. Works pretty well, and burn a sented candle like apple cinnamon or something with a fairly strong scent and you should be fine and not freeze.

Knip
Old 11-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #36
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

As soon as it hits below 65 I'm sitting in the garage.

And as soon as it hits below 50 I'm turning on my tank top dual propane heater, though I mostly just use one burner, and that one on low or medium and I just crack the door a bit. Haven't passed out yet. But the propane heater is awesome, so much better than my electric (which I ended up giving away) and a tank usually lasts me about two months. I have a small propane radiant heater that uses the small bottles, but the bottles just don't last that long, maybe two nights. But it's nice for emergencies or just a tad extra heat on my feet.

As for the smell in the garage, I don't care, it can smell away. The wife actually suggested I just smoke in the house, but I think that's cause she doesn't want me holed away in the garage the whole day. But I refuse to smoke in the house, I don't want the smell in there.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #37
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
I use a propane heater up here in chilly New England. I have a 3 burner, and a two burner. I'll use them on the back deck till it gets too cold, and then smoke in the garage (they come in handy there too).

A chimnea might be nice, but for a quick smoke it would probably be a pain to get it going.
I Use The 2 Burner "Clip On" To The propane tank- < $90 @ Lowe's. Works Great in 32* Mobile Weather!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #38
jkstewart1
Time to change the Avatar

First Name: John
Trading: (7)
jkstewart1 is on a distinguished road

At least my garage is detached. When I smoke in it the wife and kids wrinkle their noses, but what are they going to say? The major project is getting it cleaned out enough to insulate it. Time for a major sale and more sticks money!
jkstewart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #39
babybob2k
Just in from the Storm

SUCCESS!!!!!!

Home Depot has one of the tall porch heaters for $99 for black friday. They'd already dropped the prices in their system, so I scored one while I was there last night.

Just enjoyed a breakfast cigar under it, and it kept me toasty at 40 degrees with a decent wind comming through. That was set at about 66%. It should get down to 30 tonight and I'll see how it does full blast.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #40
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I wonder how well this would work on my porch. My house is behind me to the west, so most of the wind is blocked.

http://bfads.net/Menards-Black-Frida...nfrared-Heater
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote