Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you use the word Puro?
A cigar whose parts are all from one country. 105 82.03%
It means cigar. 7 5.47%
It's my Donkey's name. 4 3.13%
I like cake. 30 23.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #61
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Word Puro w/Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
Mmmm cake!
that burt reynolds?
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #62
BSB
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bob
Trading: (13)
Partagas
BSB will become famous soon enough

Tom Sellack, Magnum P.I.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #63
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSB View Post
Tom Sellack, Magnum P.I.
Ding Ding Ding
Old 02-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #64
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
While Drew Estate was using the word correctly in the traditional Spanish sense of the word, in the current U.S. market it is a bit duplicitous to use it that way, because while the rest of the world still thinks a puro is just a cigar, the American market they're selling it in has a much more specialized definition of the term. Just as you'd get two different things asking for a "rubber" in America or Australia, a "puro," means different things to different people. This is just another example of how every manufacturer in the world uses the same God damned terms to mean completely different things, such that one brand's Toro is another brand's Churchill is another brand's Robusto. It's a maddening smokescreen of hype and marketing-babble for any newb to unravel.
That's pretty much where I was coming from, Clayton. Also, on the same app, I saw the length of cigars in both millimeters and inches. So apparently it really doesn't matter if no one understands what you're trying to put out there.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #65
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

WHAT?!?!? You doubt the vocabulary and cigar knowledge of a man that wears BLUE glasses?
You are no gentleman sir! Then again I leave him to his descriptions of things, because to each
his own vocabulary and choice of using what words to mean what things. It's not like he said
tampon.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #66
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, I'm not ragging him at all, Brad. I don't even know if he had a read on the crap that's in the app. I should clarify that where I saw cigars in millimeters, that line was just in millimeters. Then another line was in inches.
Add to that a cigar is a puro, then it's not a puro, that stuff drives me nuts.
He probably doesn't even get a look at the ad copy for the website and app, so I've been real careful not to lay it on him, regardless of his glasses.
I'm pretty sure he kissed Ferdie on the mouth, but that was in the Enquirer, so I'm not lending much creedence to that rumor, either.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #67
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

I prefer puro pie. Cake, you can keep that sh!t.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #68
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

We standardized languages for a reason: to communicate effectively. While languages are fluid over long periods of time, improper usage is improper usage, period, end of story.

A "puro" is a cigar whose component tobaccos are all grown in the same country. Any usage outside that single parameter is incorrect, regardless of the status of the one mangling the language.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #69
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
I like Puro cake
Well, then we're talking about the milk, flour, eggs, sugar, and so on that originates from the same regional market...
Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #70
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Its amazing how we American's find it necessary to force those who speak other languages to conform to our bastardized usage of their colloquialisms.

Why is it so important that others use their language the way we see fit?
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #71
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Its amazing how we American's find it necessary to force those who speak other languages to conform to our bastardized usage of their colloquialisms.

Exactly.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #72
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:

I'm guessing you're asking why people expect people in the same country to use the same words to describe the same things? If so, Joe covered it really well up above.
Otherwise, if everyone calls a spoon something different, it'd really make it a pain in the ass to ask a waitress to get me something with which to eat my soup.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #73
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I'm guessing you're asking why people expect people in the same country to use the same words to describe the same things? If so, Joe covered it really well up above.
Otherwise, if everyone calls a spoon something different, it'd really make it a pain in the ass to ask a waitress to get me something with which to eat my soup.
At what point was American English "standardized"? Washing powders, laundry detergent and soap are but one example of regional descriptions for the same product. I believe you will also find a thread here on the many words used for Soda, pop, coke, etc.

There is no such thing as standardized language, each region/country has their own colloquialisms and slang.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #74
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:

So...................your saying if I went to mexico, they would speak english for me?
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #75
mariogolbee

First of all, in order to "communicate effectively," at least in (North) American English, one should state subject matter. So...who is "we?" Is "we" you and your best friend, members of CA, BOTL, North Americans in the US, or some other group? I'm going to assume for a moment that you mean North Americans in the US. With this assumption, are you stating that "we" standardized the Spanish language? If so, when did this happen?

"While languages are fluid over long periods of time, improper usage is improper usage..." This has some truth to it. When did "football" become "soccer?"

"Any usage outside [of a particular language's word's] single parameter is incorrect, regardless of the status of the one mangling the language." You do realize that North American's in the US do not speak proper English, don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
We standardized languages for a reason: to communicate effectively. While languages are fluid over long periods of time, improper usage is improper usage, period, end of story.

A "puro" is a cigar whose component tobaccos are all grown in the same country. Any usage outside that single parameter is incorrect, regardless of the status of the one mangling the language.
I don't recall anyone ever saying "puro Dominicano," but I have heard "Nic puro," and "puro." I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that "Nic puro" is as much of a North American idea as "burrito."

BTW, did you know that "pedo" is literally translated as "fart?" If you translate it with "puro" literally into American English it translates as "pure fart?" Now, you can claim this refers to a fart that only come from one person (such as Peter), but in Spanish it is more akin to the American English
slang phrase "bullsh*t," which, ironically, is quite relevant in your claim.

Lastly, part of being able to "communicate effectively" is not using absolutes such as "period" and "end of story."
Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #76
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Ok, I wasnt going to add on but your post made me laugh.

One of the frustrating and beautiful qualities of Spanish is that each country, and many times each region within a country, uses the same word for different things or different words for the same thing.

Is it wrong for him to use the word "puro"? No, it is a marketing tool IMHO plain and simple.

For me a puro is a tobacco with all its parts from the same country.

I get to travel a bit through the Caribbean and Latin America for work and some places what we know as a cigar is referred to as puro, tobacco o cigarro.

It used to bug me but doesnt anymore...

En Mexico utilicen la palabra anillo de doble sentido como broma - ya sabes todo se puede convertir en doble sentido aqui! Jaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
The problem I see with the interpretations of how the word "puro" is used in this thread, as pertaining to cigars, is that you guys are trying to use a literal translation from Spanish to English. Anyone here who speaks Spanish can attest to this not always being possible. Being of Mexican AND Cuban ancestry, I have heard the word "puro" used in Spanish by Mexicans AND Cubans AND other Latino-Americanos to pertain to a cigar. If BOTL are going to say "marca" (which literally translated means mark) rather than "brand" to refer to a brand, then why try to change the word "puro?"

Since I have been into this hobby I have seen it widely accepted to use "Nic Puro," "Dominican Puro," etc. to refer to a cigar with all components being from a single country. This is a colloquialism and makes sense.

Elements of Style (which is on my shelf as I type this) is a wonderful little book and is, IMO, the be all-style-guide of the American English language, but not of the Spanish language. Native English speakers tend to hold the meaning and use of language by another people to their own. This is not purely linguistics, it is ethnocentrism.

I am in no way putting down my native language, American-English, in this thread. That is not my intent. I am simply attempting to demonstrate to you all that you are attempting to translate something incorrectly.

One last comment. "Anillo" means "ring" in Spanish. The root word, "ano" means "anus," but one would not literally translate this as "little anus" when placing an anillo on their wife's finger.
Posted via Mobile Device
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote