Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Question Is Opus X really "all that"?

I was at the local B&M Saturday, and as I was poking around, the proprietor told another customer that he has Opus X back in stock. Having heard of them around here, I take a look only to see the price tag. So, are they really all that, or what?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
mrreindeer

Default Re: Is Opus X really "all that"?

I'll jump in here, why not....okay, so I haven't gone headlong down the Opus slope (mostly due to inflated prices, hype and limited supply) but I have had a few and I do like 'em. I was able to find a place in Pittsburgh that had them at a very reasonable cost and a few others on my travels in the past year. The place in Pitt had 'em for like $10 - $14 a stick.

I find that they're quite consistent, quite tasty and if you can find 'em at the above price range (good luck), then it's worth it.

If you find 'em for $35 - $45 like they are at my B&M (which I personally like despite the Opus costs), then FORGET IT!

Just keep lookin' and you'll find them!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Namerifrats

I get down to Florida 3-5 times per year. Always slip over to Tampa to some local shops there. I always pick up a couple Opus X cigars there, usually around $12 each. They are good cigars, well worth the $12. They are not worth the $25+ that you see them alot of places.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
jwfish81
Just wandering

First Name: Justin
Trading: (1)
jwfish81 is on a distinguished road

Just had my first Opus Saturday, and I think that if you can get over the price, or find one at a more reasonable price, they are worth it. I also agree, that $30 - $40 a stick is a little steep, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy more if i found them in the $10 - $20 range. Just my
Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
rlmedic
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (5)
rlmedic is on a distinguished road

Its a great special occasion smoke at $12 to $15 anything more then that and I would find something else to smoke! Check with other B+M in your area and you will find one who doesn't mark up the "special" smokes... Good luck
rlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Everyone's tastes are different. You need to try a couple and decde for yourself, they might be "all that" for some, and nothing special for others.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Give them a few years, and the answer is yes. Fresh, they can be rather harsh in my esperience. Definitely not an everyday stick, but if you can hold on to them and get a few years of age, they make a fantastic 'special smoke'

aj
Old 12-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmedic View Post
Its a great special occasion smoke at $12 to $15 anything more then that and I would find something else to smoke! Check with other B+M in your area and you will find one who doesn't mark up the "special" smokes... Good luck
That's about what they are at my local B&M. So maybe I will give one a try.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
newlifetaxidermy

If you can find them at MSRP, yes they are worth the money and are a great stick. I would never pay the prices some folks are willing to pay for them.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Everyone's tastes are different. You need to try a couple and decde for yourself, they might be "all that" for some, and nothing special for others.

but would like to add that off the few I have had they do age and the 5 yo one I had was quite fantastic and worth the price IMHO.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #11
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlifetaxidermy View Post
If you can find them at MSRP, yes they are worth the money and are a great stick. I would never pay the prices some folks are willing to pay for them.
Yeah, I've seen them on-line for ~$50 a stick.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
TheBeard
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Rob
Trading: (31)
TheBeard will become famous soon enough

They're not my cup of tea; I can find more enjoyable sticks for the price.
TheBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

No.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #14
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

I don't find myself searching for them but the few I have had, I have enjoyed.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
That's about what they are at my local B&M. So maybe I will give one a try.
If you can get them at close to MSRP, then that is a good plan, but I would recommend trying two - one larger ring gauge and one smaller, because the vitola does affect the taste on this cigar.

Personally, I find the longer Opus Xs to be as boring as watching paint dry and I've seen BOTLs who are trying their first Opus and it's a Double Corona, or Reserva D'Chateau or Perfexion No. 2 and they sit there smoking the cigar "waiting for something to happen" and since it never does, they end up turned off to the line. If I had to recommend two Opus X's for someone to try, I would say the xXx Power Ranger (short torpedo) and the Perfecxion No.4 (corona, cedar wrapped) or a Perfecxion No.5 (petite corona). Different enough in size that they have noteable differences in complexity and power, not so long that one ends up bored.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #16
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
If you can get them at close to MSRP, then that is a good plan, but I would recommend trying two - one larger ring gauge and one smaller, because the vitola does affect the taste on this cigar.

Personally, I find the longer Opus Xs to be as boring as watching paint dry and I've seen BOTLs who are trying their first Opus and it's a Double Corona, or Reserva D'Chateau or Perfexion No. 2 and they sit there smoking the cigar "waiting for something to happen" and since it never does, they end up turned off to the line. If I had to recommend two Opus X's for someone to try, I would say the xXx Power Ranger (short torpedo) and the Perfecxion No.4 (corona, cedar wrapped) or a Perfecxion No.5 (petite corona). Different enough in size that they have noteable differences in complexity and power, not so long that one ends up bored.
That's a good point! I tend toward robustos, or sometimes coronas; but I don't really go for longer smokes. So, the torpedo and the petit corona might be right up my alley. But, if I end up liking them; then what?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #17
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
That's a good point! I tend toward robustos, or sometimes coronas; but I don't really go for longer smokes. So, the torpedo and the petit corona might be right up my alley. But, if I end up liking them; then what?
Then you buy a few and enjoy them, if you can get them at MSRP, then even better. I enjoy the #4, #5, petit lancero and once in awhile, the power ranger, but only at MSRP, I won't pay more than a buck over MSRP to get them.

FYI - there are 3 "torpedos" in the regular line (4 if you count the petit lancero). The power ranger is the one on the far right in this photo:

http://www.vitolas.net/displayimage.php?album=35&pos=5
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #18
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

They're worth it at MSRP. I'll pick some up if I come across them at MSRP but I won't go out of my way and hunt 'em down.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #19
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Then you buy a few and enjoy them, if you can get them at MSRP, then even better. I enjoy the #4, #5, petit lancero and once in awhile, the power ranger, but only at MSRP, I won't pay more than a buck over MSRP to get them.

FYI - there are 3 "torpedos" in the regular line (4 if you count the petit lancero). The power ranger is the one on the far right in this photo:

http://www.vitolas.net/displayimage.php?album=35&pos=5
Thanks for the help (I think...I hadn't considered trying one before, but now...)!
Old 12-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #20
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I love them, when I can get them!