Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #21
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I gotta buy golf clubs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
TWO WORDS, buddy......Pawn and Shop.

Times is tough right now, lotsa good clubs there. A bad player, and a good one, too for that matter,
can make a round with no trouble with a driver, putter pitching wedge, three wood and a 5 iron.
Good idea, Brad. I don't know where there is one around here, other than the gold/comic book shop up the street. I'm sure they're here, I just gotta find them.
I imagine there's probably used clubs at the clubhouse on the course, too. I never looked. Might even be ads for used clubs if there's a pinboard up there. I'll have to check.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #22
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Scott, have you played golf before? If not, I would suggest taking a few lessons as well instead of trying to be self taught. It'll help teach you the fundamentals and not looking like you're swinging a baseball bat.
My next door neighbor is hardcore, Bob. I just helped him put up a new net in his garage a couple nights ago. He hits the ball constantly and he'll help me. My buddy Kenny has been a huge help, too.
I will definately consider lessons, especially if Lisa wants to take some. I have no desire to be world series, I'd just like to keep most of my balls out of the trees. If I could hit half as far and twice as accurate, I'd make that trade in a minute.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #23
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

When I started playing I went to Dicks and got one of the starter sets which included everything. No reason to spend a ton of money out of the gate until you decide if you like the game or not. You can always upgrade as you go along.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #24
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

There is something to be said though about buying a decent set to begin with. Just like when i was shopping for a guitar, if it was cheap and played like sh*t, it wouldn't do me any good to buy it, so I spent a bit more than I wanted but got a very nice guitar and it still didn't break the bank. Golf clubs are the same way. I'm not sure how far beginner club sets have come but i remember them being very low quality. If you're going to save $50-100 but can't hit the ball long or straight, it won't make the game much fun.

Scott, can your neighbor go with you to look at the set? If he's that hardcore, he can tell if it's a good set for you. Also, if there's a range close by, maybe you can arrange to go hit a small bucket. Feel's a very important part of the game and if you don't like the way the club feels you'll regret buying the set.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #25
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Play it again sports is awesome. I have found tons of good clubs there and they usually have some nice sets.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #26
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

With any clubs I recommend hitting them before you buy them. Go to a local golfsmith or similar store and see if they have the set you are buying and try them out. One set may feel great to someone, while the exact same set will be terrible for you.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #27
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
With any clubs I recommend hitting them before you buy them. Go to a local golfsmith or similar store and see if they have the set you are buying and try them out. One set may feel great to someone, while the exact same set will be terrible for you.
Christos, unless one was giving me some sort of electrical shock and the other not, I'd not know a difference. I have no frame of reference.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #28
Killian
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Cassidy
Trading: (0)
Killian is on a distinguished road

Another option may be to see if you have a local club builder. My last two sets have been from one of these shops. I would recommend a good fitting over any brand name. Plus these guys are usually cheap. For my last set I got 5-GW and fitting for $275. I'm a 6'2 so my irons are +1 inch and 2degrees upright. It made a huge difference.
I would recommend hybrids for anything under a 5 iron. eBay is your friend when it comes to golf equipment too.
Good luck and hit em strait.
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #29
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
My
Get yourself a set (I think it has a special name-CRS) that consists of a driver, 3-wood, 3, 5, 7, and 9-iron, and a putter. Minimal investment until you develop some basic skills and learn how to use the clubs. If you find you take to the game, then invest in a 14 club set.
3 different wedges for a beginner? Not necessary.
A 2-iron? Reminds me of the joke about what to do if you are on the golf course and it begins to thunder and lightning. Stand in the middle of the fairway and hold your 2 iron straight up in the air. Because even God can't hit a 2 iron.

Flame suit on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not a bad way to start. Plus by the time you've used this half set for a while you'll have developed some preferences and will have a good frame of reference when buying a full set. Heck you might just want to fill out the one you have, or go an entirely different direction. Either way your risk (cost) is minimal.

Good advice Peter.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #30
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

A lady called me who has a set of Ricochet clubs. I tried to look them up and found no info online, my guess is that they're a sporting good store starter set like you guys mentioned.
There seems to be all the clubs there, she sent me some cellphone pics. I can make out a 1, 3, and 5 wood (they're metal), a 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and either one or two other irons, whatever they may be, plus a putter and a bag.
The condition of the clubs appear to be well used, so someone definately hit them for a good, long time.
She only needs 60 bucks for them, she has to fix her car. I think she just scored them at a garage sale or something. She's just about a half hour away on the other side of Akron, so it may be worth going to look.

I might give the first guy a call back because he was pretty vague the first time I talked to him. I already know a whole lot more about buying clubs than I did this morning, thanks to you guys. Maybe I can get him to send me pics.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #31
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Christos, unless one was giving me some sort of electrical shock and the other not, I'd not know a difference. I have no frame of reference.
Then go after the best priced clubs
Old 06-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Then go after the best priced clubs
I wish they made ones with great big rubber heads so you just gotta make contact with the ball and it goes the right direction. What I oughta do is put a baseball bat in my bag. That'd bring my game along by leaps and bounds. All I'd really need is one bat, a putter and a cart.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #33
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Someone said something about the earlier Pings and today's clubs being easier to hit. There is some serious truth there.

What do you need?
Woods: 1 - 3 - 5
Irons: 3-9, pitching wedge
Putter

Other clubs are nice, but those are the basics. Others that I'd consider are a 7 or 9 wood, a sand wedge, and maybe a lob wedge.

Play it again sports is another great place to shop. Nathan just got a set of irons, 3-PW for $25. Not bad clubs either.

Make sure they feel good to you when you swing them. That's more important than anything else.

Peace of the Lord be with you.