Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
niallac

Default New Boy Humi with Crystals Problem

niallac is on a distinguished road

Default Aloha from Scotland
Hello,
I am a new member from Edinburgh Scotland. I am a cigar smoker (surprise) and enjoy, Montecristos, Cuabas, R y J, and one or two other brands of cigar (not so much the Cohiba, I am Scottish...) on an occasional basis.

As, I imagine, with a lot of new members, I am joining with a specific question in mind, so I will cut to the chase and ask said question: I've been thinking for a while that it would be nice to have a few cigars stored for special occasions (as opposed to having to buy them on spec) and as such I have recently constructed a 'tupperdor'. As I understand it, all one needs to maintain an effective humidor is a suitable container, a hygrometer, and some sort of controlled humidification source. To this end, I have purchased a 4 litre (1 gallon) 'Lock 'n' Lock' food storage container, some acrylic polymer crystals (from a reputable eBay supplier) and a smaller (180ml) 'Lock 'n' Lock' food container to use as the humidifier, and some distilled water from the local model shop (they use it for steam engines, apparently). I assembled the whole thing a few days ago, including a well ventilated pine shelf for the cigars, and left the whole thing with my (salt-calibrated, twice for good measure) hygrometer and waited.

Initially, it all looked good - humidity slowly climbed from around the 50% background level here towards 70% and, as expected, stayed there. For a day or so. Since then, humidity has climbed inexorably to 80%, and stayed there. Imagine my horror! I can only imagine that this is too much for storing cigars, and so haven't bought any to store. I've tried covering about 50% of the holes in my humidification device, but this only succeeds in delaying the rate at which humidity gets to 80%. I've also removed the silicone seal from the lid of my tupperdor, in case it was 'too efficient' but this has no effect. Should I be looking for a refund from the seller of the crystals?

All and any advice would be gratefully received. As I understand it, the crystal-based humidifier that I have does not (or should not) need propylene glycol to regulate humidity.

Thanks,

Niall
Old 01-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Boy Humi with Crystals Problem

With nothing in the box to "soak up" the humidity I am not surprised that it climbed so high. Try putting some empty cigar boxes (or even cigars) in there and that should bring it down.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I second the idea of storing your cigars in a box inside the tupperdor. A cabinet or SLB(Sliding Lid Box) is preferable to a dress box. Dump the pine shelf, pine is very aromatic, spanish cedar boxes are preferred. You should be able to get a box at your local shop. Depending on the type of crystals, you may have gotten them too wet. Take them out and let them dry a bit. Be sure you have the type of crystals that will absorb as well as release humidity. Once you have things stabilized you will need to open your tupperdor once a week or so.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

Or you can just put some blocks of spanish cedar which you should be able to get at your local B&M. I have a piece of tupper ware I use for extra storage and I have a few cedar blocks I added . It helps regulate humidity and gives that nice cedar smell.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
pmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by niallac View Post
niallac is on a distinguished road

Default Aloha from Scotland
Hello,
I am a new member from Edinburgh Scotland. I am a cigar smoker (surprise) and enjoy, Montecristos, Cuabas, R y J, and one or two other brands of cigar (not so much the Cohiba, I am Scottish...) on an occasional basis.

As, I imagine, with a lot of new members, I am joining with a specific question in mind, so I will cut to the chase and ask said question: I've been thinking for a while that it would be nice to have a few cigars stored for special occasions (as opposed to having to buy them on spec) and as such I have recently constructed a 'tupperdor'. As I understand it, all one needs to maintain an effective humidor is a suitable container, a hygrometer, and some sort of controlled humidification source. To this end, I have purchased a 4 litre (1 gallon) 'Lock 'n' Lock' food storage container, some acrylic polymer crystals (from a reputable eBay supplier) and a smaller (180ml) 'Lock 'n' Lock' food container to use as the humidifier, and some distilled water from the local model shop (they use it for steam engines, apparently). I assembled the whole thing a few days ago, including a well ventilated pine shelf for the cigars, and left the whole thing with my (salt-calibrated, twice for good measure) hygrometer and waited.

Initially, it all looked good - humidity slowly climbed from around the 50% background level here towards 70% and, as expected, stayed there. For a day or so. Since then, humidity has climbed inexorably to 80%, and stayed there. Imagine my horror! I can only imagine that this is too much for storing cigars, and so haven't bought any to store. I've tried covering about 50% of the holes in my humidification device, but this only succeeds in delaying the rate at which humidity gets to 80%. I've also removed the silicone seal from the lid of my tupperdor, in case it was 'too efficient' but this has no effect. Should I be looking for a refund from the seller of the crystals?

All and any advice would be gratefully received. As I understand it, the crystal-based humidifier that I have does not (or should not) need propylene glycol to regulate humidity.

Thanks,

Niall
What type of crystals did you get? I hear this quite frequently. I'm looking into purchasing some of the appropriate cigar crystals in bulk to stock on my website but so far I haven't found ones that are as good as what is being used in the crystal gel humidifiers.

On another note I am amazed at how popular the gel humidification is right now. I used to see 100 threads a day on beads(not here but elsewhere) now it seems like everyone has shifted to crystal gel.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

got to say, while I never tried the gel stuff, Scott's beads rule . I second what most have said. Dump the pine, if the proper tray are not avalable to you they are faily cheap at a few sites, Until you get some wood/and or cigars the RH may stay a bit high.

Many prefer 70%, but if you have burn issues try 65%. I find they burn more evenly and taste a bit better.

BTW, welcome to our happy little home.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I second the idea of storing your cigars in a box inside the tupperdor. A cabinet or SLB(Sliding Lid Box) is preferable to a dress box. Dump the pine shelf, pine is very aromatic, spanish cedar boxes are preferred. You should be able to get a box at your local shop. Depending on the type of crystals, you may have gotten them too wet. Take them out and let them dry a bit. Be sure you have the type of crystals that will absorb as well as release humidity. Once you have things stabilized you will need to open your tupperdor once a week or so.
This is great advice! You might also try some beads from Scott or heartfelt, both work.