Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
DougBushBC

Default A Supreme CC Experience

NOTE: This was a post I made on another forum before I was introduced to the Asylum, and I thought it was worth revisiting, since it was the first amazing smoking experience I have related online and it was the best cigar I had had until tonight's 1998 Opus (See thread "Aged Opus X, or how I learned to love TanithT")

---------------------

So I have been an avid NC smoker for 6 or so years, and truly enjoy the smoking experience. I had long been told that the CC were losing their edge and that the best of the NCs really fit into the pack with the CCs. I had smoked a CC or two before, either while in the Bahamas fishing or from a friend (likely fakes in both places). This sets the scene for my epic adventure.

This past week I was down in Grand Cayman on business, seeing customers of my distributor on the island. Through this distributor I met one of the leading wine salesmen on GC who through conversation I learned also was a avid Cigar Smoker. After two days of business, he asked me if I wanted to come to his cigar dinner that was going to be that night at the restaurant of a chef I was trying to work with as well (disclosure: I am in the meat side of the restaurant supply business). Of course I said yes. I didn't know what kind of event this would be, but I figured I could expense it since it was visiting a customer.

I arrived at 8pm at Hemmingway's Restaurant and was introduced to the head of the event, none other than Valerio Carnale. As I am introduced around, I realize that I am WAY out of my league, dealing with serious CC collectors and smokers. We are passed an app of Cuban potatoes while we sip on a Havana Club Mojito. The first cigar is passed around, and its a Bolivar Gold Medal. I knew from my reading how popular Cuban Lonsdale sizes were, but I have never enjoyed them. This was a perfect opening round. I enjoyed every puff of the spicy leaves.

We were seated for dinner at a table out by the beach under linen accents and torchlight. I was placed between my friend Sergio, the wine guy, and Wallace, who is Valerio's right hand man in the LCDH in Grand Cayman. I spent the whole dinner (Seared Scallops, Tuna Tataki, and Wagyu Beef Fillet with Truffles all expertly prepared by Chef Shetty at Hemingway's) chatting with Wallace about the Cuban cigar industry, which were the "best" and "worst" brands, and about Valerio's extensive collections. The wine throughout was from Portugal and was superb as well.

As the food portion came to a close (but before desert) a few bottles of Havana Club 7 Year Reserve was brought out and served neat to everyone. Desert was a Chocolate Bon with Orange Scent, and as it was being eaten the superstar of the night was unveiled: The Partagas Salomones II LCDH Edition. Now for a normally full-bodied smoker, the strength didn't overpower me, but the amazing depth of flavor and creamy smoke was unlike any large format, full-bodied smoke I had ever had.

We all smoked our Salomones for nearly two hours while drinking the HC 7 Year and talking about our favorite cigars.

What a night to remember. By the time it was done, I walked the mile plus back to my hotel puffing on the last little nub of my Salomones and extinguished it right as I approached my hotel room door.

Needless to say, I am a convert, and can't wait for another trip to visit Valerio and Wallace.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: A Supreme CC Experience

Great story Doug, but next time you go visit Valerio and Wallace take me with you please!!!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
DougBushBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Great story Doug, but next time you go visit Valerio and Wallace take me with you please!!!
Learn to sell steaks and I'll take you anytime you want!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBushBC View Post
dont they pretty much sell themselves??

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBushBC View Post
I know how to eat steaks, does that count?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

I'll have to stop by the LCDH and tell hopefully get to meet him. I will tell him you said hi if my cruise ship actually stops there.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:56 AM   #7
DougBushBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
I'll have to stop by the LCDH and tell hopefully get to meet him. I will tell him you said hi if my cruise ship actually stops there.
If your cruiseship stops in the main Georgetown Moorings, your boat will drop you off RIGHT infront of his shop
Old 07-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

very nice thanks for sharing
Old 07-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

A most excellent story! Thanks for relating!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Nice story! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by ade06; 07-15-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Editing is fun.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
pnutbutrsangwich
Go Green!

Trading: (3)
Guantanamera
pnutbutrsangwich will become famous soon enough

Corrupted by one of the absolute best Very cool story!
pnutbutrsangwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #12
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

Sometimes we have the good fortune, or blessing depending upon your worldview, to walk into a dream to be savored and appreciated, for it will never again be re-created. This sounds like one of those serendipitous occasions.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote