Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (0)
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road
Default Tech Support.

I'm hoping maybe so if you guys can help with this. I just upgraded the CPU, memory and the motherboard in my work computer. I also did a clean install of windows 8.1. Now Firefox won't stay open if I give it a couple tabs and I get this every time I try to open up Adobe Reader:

I have run both Memtest86 and the built in windows memory yet and they come back fine. I can post the specs if you want. Anyone have an idea what the hell is going on or how to fix it? There's 8 GB of ram and according to the task manager %15 or less is being used when this happens.
jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tech Support.

Double check that the memory you chose for the mobo is copasetic.
You'll need to go to the mobo manufacturer's website and cross-reference it to see if it's "okay'd for use with the mobo".
You'd be surprised how same spec memory won't work. It's maddening.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Are the programs new downloads?

I'd check forums for the motherboard and maybe post a question or two at the support sites for the programs. Scott is likely on the right path, but don't rule out other issues as well.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

Or PM me your number and I will have someone call youand see if they can fix it
Old 11-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

It's not listed as supported. Of course. Everything else is fine and seems to have no issues. I might try an pick up some new RAM that is"approved". If that doesn't work I'll PM the Conch Republican. Thanks guys.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The same thing happened to me on my last build, Jesse.
I got some Corsair Extreme, well within specs and perfect for the board's abilities, and it didn't work at all.
I had to buy new "approved" stuff and sell the 16GB I had just bought.
Don't feel bad. It happens.
That may not be it, but please update us one way or another, will ya?
Old 11-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

So I looked around town to try and find an approved set and of course nobody has any. As, I'm browsing Newegg, I figure give adobe reader a shot again. It's working fine and Firefox hasn't crashed in a bit. What the hell..
Old 11-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I fought to get Windows installed, then did, then had all kinds of trouble before I started chasing. It made no sense. I can't remember how I figured out what the problem was.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

I made the mistake of allowing Windows to update 8 to 8.1. All of my hi end video drivers were deemed unnecessary and sub-par by windows and replaced by Microsoft's choice. Much fun was had chasing down and forcing Windows to re-install what I wanted as opposed to what it wanted.

for sure!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

I swear it's self aware. No joke, the second I posted my last message Firefox crashed. It's odd because everything is running fine otherwise and I don't get any BSODs. Shopping for new RAM now. On my Ipad.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

You should probably do a fresh install when you get the ram put in.
Save some grief.
Look for a pinched wire, too. If you have something going to ground, under a mobo standoff, that's another goof-storm of it's own.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #12
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
You should probably do a fresh install when you get the ram put in.
Save some grief.
Look for a pinched wire, too. If you have something going to ground, under a mobo standoff, that's another goof-storm of it's own.
That's what is killing me. I just did a fresh install when I swapped out the MOBO, CPU and RAM yesterday.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

It's the rise of the machines! We're all doomed, DOOMED!!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

It's about to get doomed out the damn window...

New RAM ordered that conforms to their approved list. I'll update whenever it comes in.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedrick83 View Post
It's about to get doomed out the damn window...

That won't save you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgLfOrVJJMg
Old 11-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #16
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post

No, but it may be therapeutic!
Old 11-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #17
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
WaRevo is on a distinguished road

Just little there are times that even new MB ram and cpu even as new ends up being bad. There was some issues that I had for almost 6 months on a build a few years ago that drove me nuts. Come to find out there was some little thing (Don't remember now) that was bad. Everything would work for about the first hour of use as long as it wasn't playing games. Sadly where I bought it from has a you buy and install any issues is your issue. Honestly I think some of these can be returned/replaced and sold to the you take it you break it area to drive people nuts. After buying a new board it was all great. This was years ago and now I just buy Whole computers I don't want or need a Big gamer computer or anything special anymore.

Good luck hope the Ram is the issue
James
WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #18
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

So odd, the past two days it has been perfect. Haven't received the new RAM yet. Everything operates perfectly, no hangs, so errors, no nothing. Like I said. It's self aware...
Old 11-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #19
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

I was more temperamental Tuesday and Wednesday. New RAM came Wednesday night, popped it in the morning and everything seems to be great! We will see how long that lasts. Thanks for the assist guys!
Old 11-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Jesse, you should still do that fresh install.
Just cause Windows loaded doesn't mean there aren't errors everywhere that might eat your lunch later when you start loading a bunch of software and drivers.
I know it sucks, but you just gotta suck it up.
Then you should be gliding for sure.