Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation
Default Fan Timer

Does anyone know anywhere I can purchase a plug-and-play fan to circulate the RH in my cabinet?

I have a 3,00 count tower that has outlets inside already. I tried searching but all I could find is custom stuff. I'm just tired of my RH being 65% steady at the top and 73% at the bottom. I want to place some orders but afraid that I'll be ruining whatever I place at the bottom.

Any help would be appreciated.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fan Timer

Something like this would be easy.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_143158-95325...ductId=3126679
Just plug a small fan into it.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

Thanks Adrian....I appreciate that.

I think I should have made myself clearer though. I'm looking for fan(s) with a timer already on it which is plug-and-play.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Oh. In that case, I've only seen one. I believe it was through cigarsolutions, but it's no longer on their website. It ran almost $100.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

Just hook up a PC fan and let it run all the time. Call me up tomorrow and I can help you out Jay.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cort View Post
Just hook up a PC fan and let it run all the time. Call me up tomorrow and I can help you out Jay.
Will do.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cort View Post
Just hook up a PC fan and let it run all the time.
I have to politely disagree. When people put clothes on a line to dry, in many cases it's quite humid out, and the clothes still dry. Just that moving moist air
will not necessarily keep your cigars at your desired humidity. Constant air movement, even if humid can and will dry out cigars. .02
Old 06-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
I have to politely disagree. When people put clothes on a line to dry, in many cases it's quite humid out, and the clothes still dry. Just that moving moist air
will not necessarily keep your cigars at your desired humidity. Constant air movement, even if humid can and will dry out cigars. .02
I'm just trying to circulate it. I personally will not leave it running all the time. Maybe 1-2 minutes every 15-30 minutes.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

I got a digital timer and two computer fans from online cheap and made home made timered fans... If you are a little mechanically inclined PM me and i'll send you or anyone o the link on my little how-to.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
I'm just trying to circulate it. I personally will not leave it running all the time. Maybe 1-2 minutes every 15-30 minutes.
That would be perfect. The post I didn't agree with was to let it run constantly.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
Mark7777

I have been trying to figure out how to do this as well...I have found many different sites with CPU fans but I have not idea how to even begin setting something like this up...

Does any one know the step-by-step way to connect a CPU fan to an external power source or battery + timer?

Sorry - I didnt mean to hijack this thread - its just its basically the same question I have been trying to solve...

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
Dark Jester

You can get inexpensive digital timers that will let you get down to 1 minute increments, but the problem is most of them have a limited number of settings. One I have has 24 settings. But remember that turning the fan on, and then turning it off are each seperate events, so you end up with only 12 on/off cycles per day. Might work if you do it for 10 minutes per hour or something.

This one is similar to what I have, but it only does 20 events per day (10 on/off cycles).

You can find the ones that would allow you to set things like 2 minutes every 30 (i.e. 2 on 28 off), but the cost of those types of cycle timers starts getting a lot higher. $50 - $100+
Old 06-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #13
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark7777 View Post
...Does any one know the step-by-step way to connect a CPU fan to an external power source or battery + timer?...
When I was using a cooler I used one of these fans with one of these adapters, and a timer like this. It was set to run for 15 minutes every 3 hours and kept the RH steady to within 2 points.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #14
Dark Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
When I was using a cooler I used one of these fans with one of these adapters, and a timer like this. It was set to run for 15 minutes every 3 hours and kept the RH steady to within 2 points.
That's a good plug-&-play solution. Here's an alternative if you aren't afraid to cut some wires.

For the fans themselves, just about anything will work. Just search Computer fans and find one that looks good. You can find a lot of them for less than $10 on Newegg. Try to find one with only 2 wires. The 3 wire ones are adjustable speed, not really needed here.

Once you pick a fan, look for it's power requirement. For example:

Features
12VDC
Operation Voltage: 6.0~13.8 VDC
Rated Current : 0.16 A

So you need a power supply that will provide 12 Volts DC Output, with more than 0.16 Amps available.

This one does 12V with 500mA (0.5A) max. So you could hook 2 of the 0.16A fans to it if ya want (0.32A Total). Generally you don't want to load a power supply to it's max rating. try to keep the Amp use below 80% of max.

Then ya just cut the plugs off the fan and adapter and twist them together with some electrical tape around each pair and you should be good to go. Might want to do some testing to make sure the fan is turning the right direction.

Edit: A note on the timers too, as I've run into it before:

Make sure the timer you pick has the right number of holes for the plug on the adapter you choose. I picked up a great timer for a good price once and got home to find that the plug I was using was 3 prong (grounded), but the timer only took 2 prongs (not grounded).

Last edited by Dark Jester; 06-11-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:23 AM   #15
Mark7777

here is what I have come up with thus far to have an independent reliable fan + timer. Total cost I think isnt too bad...

Dual 80mm component cooling fans with USB connection ( bottom and top)
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090557.html

+

30" USB EXTENSION CABLE BLACK
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556088769.html

+
USB AC/DC Power Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Adapter-.../dp/B001QMOEY4

+
Intermatic DT620CL 15 Amp Indoor Astronomic Digital Timer
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-DT6...ref=pd_cp_hi_1

The USB cords could be run out the drain hole ( as I understand - maybe Im wrong - not even sure how) -> attach to the usb adapter and timer...This would solve the fan timer issue...I think...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #16
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark7777 View Post

Does any one know the step-by-step way to connect a CPU fan to an external power source or battery + timer?

Thanks.
You need to find a fan and power supply whose output are the same voltage. The power supply needs to put out more amps (probably milliamps) than the fan needs. They both have to be either AC or DC - no mixing!. So, obviously you need this info, which is usually on a label on the part. Then, you connect plus to plus, etc.

The easiest timer would be one that just lets you plug the power supply into it. For example, you could get a timer that's meant to turn a light on and off while you're gone. Get a power supply that needs 120 VAC input and plug it in.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #17
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

Thanks for all the info fellas. I'm going to look into these options.