Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Dolphinswin
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Dolphinswin is on a distinguished road
Default A few questions and an introduction!

Hello guys, Im new to the whole cigar scene. I joined cigarsmokers but I felt the members were hardly willing to help. I just have a few minor questions for you folks, Do these humidi pouches work? I have never even boughten a high end cigar and plan on smoking every now and then when golfing. I would be willing to attempt to make a plastic container humidor but Im not sure. Any beginner cigars that most people like? and do you guys use zippos? Thanks all Im glad to be here!
Dolphinswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Ol' Times Cigars
www.oltimescigars.com

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (4)
Ol' Times Cigars is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A few questions and an introduction!

The humidi packs deinitely work in my opinion and thats not just because we sell them. I use them in my personal humidor and have had no problems with humidity. The amount you need depends on the size of your humidor and how many cigars you are keeping in it. You can make a plastic humidor but I would recommend finding a small cedar lined humidor if you plan on keeping a few sticks on hand. There are a lot of inexpensive small units out there that will do the job.

I don't use a zippo and don't recommend them. It depends on who you ask though. The problem with Zippos is that it isn't uncommon to taste the fuel when you light your cigar and that is not a taste I want. The fuel evaporates quickly so you have to fill them more than a butane lighter. Stick with a decent butane lighter or wood matches.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphinswin View Post
Hello guys, Im new to the whole cigar scene. I joined cigarsmokers but I felt the members were hardly willing to help. I just have a few minor questions for you folks, Do these humidi pouches work? I have never even boughten a high end cigar and plan on smoking every now and then when golfing. I would be willing to attempt to make a plastic container humidor but Im not sure. Any beginner cigars that most people like? and do you guys use zippos? Thanks all Im glad to be here!
Welcome to Cigar Asylum. Lots of good people and tons of info here.
Short answers to some of your questions.
Humi pouches do work.
A small tupperware container will work fine for storage.
Beginner cigars? You will get many opinions from many people. The best advice I can offer is to ask your local cigar store for milder cigars that would be in your budget..
Some use zippos. Some use bics. Some use butane torches. Some even use matches. All a matter of preference.

Take some time and look around the Asylum. Lots of threads addressing your questions.

Enjoy your stay.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the Asylum from the home of Super Bowl XLV Champion Green Bay Packers!

The Boveda packs work well if those are the pouches you're talking about, there are several kinds of pouches out there. A "Tupperdore" will serve you well, Zippos, some say the oily fuel will leave a residue or taste on your cigar, personally, I don't buy it. That being said, a nice butane torch or soft flame works well. As for what cigars...only you will know what you like, try them, keep some notes and bands. Coke/Pepsi, Pork/Beef, Ford/Chevy...it's all up to you.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

First of all Welcome.

the pouches (little white goo filled square in a plastic bag) do work especially in a small short term Tupperware container if you are interested in getting a full fledged humidor there are several better long term solutions. For an interesting head scratcher of a read just search for kitty litter vs Beads.

As for beginner cigars that will be a taste and availability thing for you.

As to the Zippo issue I use one it is borderline blasphemy to use a liquid filled Zippo on a cigar but with the new formula Zippo fuel (black can) I dont notice any off taste in my cigar or pipe especially after a couple of puffs. Most people on here will recommend a butane torch lighter for cigars.

So drop in on the new members forum put in the obligatory hello there and get to posting and chatting with everyone here. Have a cigar and celebrate your status as one of the inmates now.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

Wow 3 people who are faster typers than me.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
Dolphinswin
Just in from the Storm

Wow you guys are fast! Thanks for all the responses! That many responses would take hours on cigarsmokers haha. Yes, Im going to start looking around and doing some reading. I have done some research and am just a tish confused on these humidipaks or pouches. The pouches are little bags that can hold the cigars for a certain period of time correct? And the packs are little things you just put in a container with your cigars to keep them humidified? Thanks again all, I know i'll be sticking around!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

As long as it is air tight, any container will do. Airtight is relative, but tupperware is better than a plastic bag. Humi packs can be very helpful for small quantities, but in this hobby you will benefit from finding a longer term humidifying product like HCM or Heartfelt beads.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
Dolphinswin
Just in from the Storm

Thanks for the reply, With the humi pack how many cigars would you be limited to storing, and for how long will they keep? Lol humipaks and humi pouches are different right? Who would of thought cigar keeping is no easy task!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
ysr_racer

Total cost including a couple of B-packs was about $20 (not including the cigars)

Old 05-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, With the humi pack how many cigars would you be limited to storing, and for how long will they keep? Lol humipaks and humi pouches are different right? Who would of thought cigar keeping is no easy task!
Humi packs are like little water pillows which let out humidity. I am not sure humi pouches have any humidity releasing qualities, but are intended to store cigars for short periods of times. A water pillow or humi-pack will store a group of 15-25 cigars in a tupperware for well over a month, considering it is realitively airtight and depending on the humidity in your region.

I would consider finding a nice cheap humidor (25-50 count) from an online cigar retailer and invest in a small quantity of humidity regulating beads. Both of these can likely be had (with a sampler to boot) for about the same price as you could spend on humipacks for a years time.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
Dolphinswin
Just in from the Storm

Alrighty so if need be I could buy humi packs and put them in with a air tight container. I read that these arturo fuente humipouches have 2 way humidity control and can store for 6 months. I will go to a local tobacco shop and see if I can get a cheap humidor, do you guys reccomend just starting with hump packs since there easier to maintain than having to deal with the real deal humidication devices? seriously can't thank you guys enough, finally have some people willing to help!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
ysr_racer

Order them from here: https://www.bovedadirect.com/index.cfm

Get 69 or 65.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #14
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Good list of budget smokes to try and start out with
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=643

Good list of common question with a lot of useful info
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1754

And lastly for when you want to buy that new humi
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=621

Just a small sample of some of the great info that's here on the site. Have fun looking around brother and welcome!!

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #15
Dolphinswin
Just in from the Storm

I now understand the boeheva packs. Now im just going to have to decide if I should buy a wood humidor or just Tupperware. These packs look to be feasible if you have 50 or less cigars as it doesn't take as many packs. Im very excited as ill tell you all how my first smoke goes. I forgot to tell you all I just turned 18.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #16
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Get a Coolidor (cooler, ice chest etc etc). Pick a size (70 quart, 120 quart 150-160 quart), grab some beads from heartfeltindustries and store dozens and dozens of boxes. Cost should be $100-$140 depending on the size you decide to go with.

Wooden humidors suck! At least those small-large sized desktops. They are very cheap and while they might look good...that's all they are good for.

YMMV

Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #17
Dolphinswin
Just in from the Storm

Haha I will never get enough use to need a coolidor nor can I afford it let alone stock it. Im just looking for the easiest idiot proof method to preserving up to 30 cigars for 1yr or longer. That's the reason im thinking about the humipaks, there some what idiot proof lol. Are the humipaks available in stores pr only online? I though the wood humidors were good? What's better and air tight container with humipaks or a wood humidor?
Old 05-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #18
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Haha I will never get enough use to need a coolidor nor can I afford it let alone stock it. Im just looking for the easiest idiot proof method to preserving up to 30 cigars for 1yr or longer. That's the reason im thinking about the humipaks, there some what idiot proof lol. Are the humipaks available in stores pr only online? I though the wood humidors were good? What's better and air tight container with humipaks or a wood humidor?
Just wait
Old 05-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #19
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Beads are more idiot proof and cheaper in the long run. Wooden humidors regulate humidity better because they absorb some humidity themselves, plus people enjoy the smell and look of them. Plastic containers, like tupperware and coolers will have better seals and not need humidity as often. Do a lot of reading around here and you can answer most questions you keep asking.

And yes, you will need much more storage in the future.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #20
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Can we all quote this and take bets on how long it takes him to buy larger storage.

I understand what you mean by 30 cigars but here is what happens. You like a cigar A LOT and you want a box ...that's 20-30 cigars right there...Variety is the spice of life....that makes you buy more. Then you find another one you like....enough for a box.

Repeat an infinite number of times.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote