Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-07-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Trading: (70)
Brooks W has a spectacular aura aboutBrooks W has a spectacular aura about
Default Room 101- Preproduction

When this new Camacho cigar was announced, the immediate reaction I had was that it was just one more stick that was being promoted to death that would never live up to it's billing. ("The Room 101 Cigar collection will be a blend of attitude, culture, celebrity, and some of the world’s finest tobaccos" screams the press release...)

The fact that the Room 101 cigar is a joint project with Los Angeles jeweler Mat Booth (who owns the Room 101 jewelry brand) only intensified the feeling in my gut. On the surface, it seemed to be a cigar that was made ONLY for promotion (*COUGH* Opus Lost City *COUGH*), with the cigar thrown in merely as an afterthought...

Oh, how wrong I was...

The cigar itself sports a binder from Honduras and a filler with a blend from Honduras and the Dominican Republic, but the big news in this stick is the wrapper, which uses an exclusive seed variety they call "Semilla 101" (also from Honduras)...Due to be released in September, it will come in six sizes (25 to a box), each named for a different area code in the United States (Editor's Note: I have included the cities for each zip codes for purely informational reasons, they have no bearing as far as I know on the cigars or where they are to be released or anything like that...If it was me reading this review, I would wonder about which zip code each one was and obsessively look them up, so I figured I would do the work for those who think like I do ~brooks]:

The 213- 5.5x44- MSRP $7.00 (Los Angeles, California)
The 305- 5x50- MSRP $7.50 (Miami, Florida)
The 323- 6x50- MSRP $8.00 (Los Angeles, California)
The 404- 6x54- MSRP $8.50 (Atlanta, Georgia)
The 702- 6x54- MSRP $8.50 (Nevada)
The 808- 6x60- MSRP $9.00 (Hawaii)

(One other interesting note is that a portion of the proceeds from the Room 101 cigar sales go to the Wounded Warrior Project.)

The wrapper on the cigar is a nice medium brown, and has very little oil on it...smells of tobacco (I really hate to keep repeating that) and it is very firm when squeezed...The Preproduction version I smoked did not come with a band of any sort...

After lighting, I got just a bit of pepper for a few puffs (no spice, just pepper) which fairly quickly morphed into a great earthy creaminess that was extremely balanced and pleasant...this lasted for pretty much the entire 1st third...

Right around the start of the 2nd third, the pepper was reduced even more (it became more of a background element at his point) and the earthiness turned almost gritty (ie, it lost it's creaminess for the most part)...not an unpleasant taste, but it definitely made me take notice...

The last third was where this stick really surprised me...we were rolling along with the above flavors, just a nice, almost boring amalgamation of tastes when BAM! out of the blue came a huge rush of spice and pepper...it was almost like someone had turned on a switch labeled "SPICE"...I literally sat up in my chair and said "Holy Sh*t"! (scaring my wife who was sitting beside me...she said later she thought I had been stung by a wasp)...it melded wonderfully with the tastes from the first two thirds, and it made my mouth and tongue tingle for a while after I was done with the cigar...

The Bottom Line: The first two thirds of the Room 101 cigar were not bad, but we have tasted it all before...however, when combined with the spice bomb of the final third, the flavors blended into an EXTREMELY enjoyable smoke....it was almost as if the people putting together the cigar wanted to lull you into a false sense of security, then shock you into submission. I was very impressed with the cigar as a whole and the clean finish it had, and this is one I will be waiting to buy when it is released to see if it has the same characteristics...
Brooks W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Room 101- Preproduction

great review plus superb pictures !
thanks brooks
Old 09-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Awesome review & Pics, Brooks! Sounds like a great stick!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
NickyTeen
My barn door is open

First Name: Kriss
Trading: (12)
Partagas
NickyTeen will become famous soon enoughNickyTeen will become famous soon enough

Thanks for a great review. I am definately looking forward to these now!
NickyTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
scooter

Thanks for the great review and pictures. Can't wait to try one!
Old 09-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
adampc22

thos pics are a work of art mate do u do weddings ?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
GHC_Hambone

Thanks for the review! I read about these in a magazine and wasn't sure, but from your review they sound like a good smoke.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about

Great review! Thanks.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Thanks for the review.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
PappyFerrara

Great review! I agree with you; this is a cigar that lives up to all the hype! I really enjoyed mine.
Keep up the good work.
Bill Pappy Ferrara
Old 09-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #11
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thank you for a wonderful review!!!

I'll keep my eye open for this one!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #12
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Good review. I like much of what Camacho offers, will have to look out for these. Also, I just spent 15 minutes reading your blog. Very nice!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Trading: (0)
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road

wait. when i think room 101, i think, that which i fear the most...
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #14
SkinsFanLarry

Great review and pic's as always Brooksey!
Old 09-12-2009, 03:22 AM   #15
joetownhound
EYH Survivor

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (18)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
joetownhound will become famous soon enough

great review thanks
Old 09-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #16
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Great review and pics...thanks!!