Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-17-2022, 01:37 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Viaje Exclusivo Collector's Edition Perfecto 2018

OK, what the double band says is: Viaje: Vije Collector's Edition and it is a 5X56 Belicoso shape.

This was a gift from Weelok as part of a MAW... THANKS, DAVE!!!

I usually do a SMOKE type review, but I was out ice fishing when I had this so while I will use that method, I did not score it for each section.

Viaje Collector’s Edition (Perfecto)
5x56 Belicoso

1) Aesthetics: Shaped cigars are always a treat, it means some extra work went into creating them. A shortish belicoso is nestled in a good-looking EMS wrapper, bound with a double band – one near the shoulder and another wrapped around the foot – very tasteful. (I know that they claim this is a perfecto, but I am tired of the new folks using names for things that don’t fit. It is not tapered at the foot and the head. And, it isn’t a pyramid because the head is more rounded than pointy.)
2) Pre-light Construction: Firmness is the operative word here, almost too tight? At least it feels that way. But it is obviously well made.

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: I was afraid it would be too tight, and draw would likewise be impeded. I needn’t have worried, it drew acceptably. It never produced copious amounts of smoke, the volume of smoke was almost begrudgingly produced. It never required touching up, producing a crisp burn line, and a white ash that needed coaxing to be removed.

4) Flavor and strength: It was not a powerhouse, nor was it overly complex. I did not concentrate enough on it to label everything I was tasting, but I do remember that it had a burnt cocoa and earthiness to it, and a sort of sweetness.

5) Aftertaste/Finish: (what lingers in the mouth after exhaling a puff – NOT – the last 1/3 of the cigar) As with the flavor, the finish did pummel you, it was more subtle. I enjoyed it and remember more than anything else, the sense of earthy sweetness.

6) Aroma: My buddy enjoyed it as he was downwind of me about 20 feet, “smells like a great cigar.” I again remember that earthy sweetness, possibly like kettle korn – a salty/sweet.

7) General Comments: I have had a few Viajes in the past, but never really gravitated to them. After trying a few from their regular production lines, I never really had this raging urge to go and stock up on Viajes, in fact, more the opposite response, “I’m not understanding why people thing these are any better than something from the bargain bin at Thompsons. But hey, everybody has their own tasted. Having said that! I was suitably impressed with this stick that I may have to revisit Viajes, maybe not the regular lines, but maybe try something from them when it comes out.

8) Recommendation: I only had the one, so cannot say if these are box-worthy or not. I was however suitably impressed. Definitely would add a 5er of these to the cart to try a couple more.

Thanks again, Dave! You expanded my horizons and I truly enjoyed the excursion.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:54 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Viaje Exclusivo Collector's Edition Perfecto 2018

Thanks for the review Todd!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:10 PM   #3
The camaro show
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chayse
Trading: (1)
VR
The camaro show will become famous soon enough

Great review Todd!
I have a couple that have been aging for quite a while. I had craft series this fall that I didn’t think was very good but I heard those craft series were not very good to start especially after a nap just had no flavor. I’m looking forward to the jalapeño I have.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:10 PM   #4
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

Great review Todd! Thank you for your time and effort into doing this! God bless you brother!
Old 02-17-2022, 06:13 PM   #5
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Nice review Rev and that cigar is basically in the Excusivio line up and one of my favorites.

Earthiness pretty much sums it up hah.